Deciding between 2 riding mowers - JD vs Craftsman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or.....not.

I placed the order with a total of $1321 for the mower, and then got an order confirmation from Sears for $1637.

Thats more than the base price of the mower even before any coupon codes.

When I called sears to find out whats going on, they said "Don't know. We'll have to put in a support ticket to figure out whats happening and someone will get back to you".

Not happening. Cancelled order. Last time I use the 'shop your way' thing to place an order online.

Originally Posted By: ZTime33
I would like to comment on "cheap" Craftsman riding mowers. I have owned my LT1000 since 1998 and still going strong. Other than regular maintenance, blades and oil changes, it has not had any other issues. While there can be some issues with anything manufactured, it’s how one maintains the equipment that determines longevity.

They have cheapened everything up over the years. The Craftsman from 1998 is more durable than a Craftsman of 2015. I have a 1999 LT1000 that I use as a brush hog at my mother in laws. Beat it down and it still comes back for more. I also have a 2006 Craftsman LT1000. It has a very premium Kohler Command engine and a mid grade hydrostatic drive. It cost $1500 back than but would cost $2600 today for a similar engine/transmission combo.

Do not purchase either the JD D105 or D110 as these feature single cylinder engines. You need to step up to the JD D125 to get a V-Twin engine. The V-Twin equipped mowers will perform better in thick grass and on hilly terrain.

OP, I think you already purchases your tractor, but advice for future reference. ANY tractor under $1500 is going to be about the same. A 7 year machine before it starts nickle and diming you typically. Its end of season and many of the pro lawn guys are selling their equipment and upgrading to next years models. I'd buy a well maintained commercial unit with 500-750 hours or so and that is a mower you can run for the next twenty years with basic maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Do not purchase either the JD D105 or D110 as these feature single cylinder engines. You need to step up to the JD D125 to get a V-Twin engine. The V-Twin equipped mowers will perform better in thick grass and on hilly terrain.

The lower end twin cylinder engines have 50 times more problems in the long run than a decent single cylinder Briggs or Kohler.

Originally Posted By: ddombrowski
Or.....not.

I placed the order with a total of $1321 for the mower, and then got an order confirmation from Sears for $1637.

Thats more than the base price of the mower even before any coupon codes.

When I called sears to find out whats going on, they said "Don't know. We'll have to put in a support ticket to figure out whats happening and someone will get back to you".

Not happening. Cancelled order. Last time I use the 'shop your way' thing to place an order online.

Probably better off. Looked at the link again. Can't see the serial # to verify if it's an MTD or Husqvarna Group machine. Looks more MTD-ish to me.

I have 50 hours on a 2014 Deere D105. It's been a good mower. It does a very good job even with tallish grass, and the cut quality is darn good. It mulches fairly well on the stock setup with just a mulch cover. I have no complaints with the CVT on it. It does its thing without issue. My little irritations with the mower are that it's quite loud (which was expected given the price point) and that the seat isn't great for more than half an hour or so at a time.

Whatever mower you purchase, grease the ever-loving daylights out of it. Especially when purchasing from Sears or HD. All they will do for initial setup is help you push it onto your truck/trailer. Mine was bone-dry when I got it home.

I would NOT buy anything with the current crop of Kohler engines on them. I've personally seen and read of failures that were unbelievable and totally unnecessary. The old Kohlers were bullet proof, but the new ones, ... not so much.
I do have a newish (2010) B&B 27HP on my Husqvarna tractor that I am totally happy with. It is strong, reliable and fairly quiet.

Since the engine is the heart of any power equipment, that would be where I start making my decision.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not huge fan of the Kohler Courage series single cylinder engines, but they've seemed to work the bugs out of them over the years. Early models had issues with the bolts loosening on the crankcase cover. This would allow for radial movement of the flywheel end of the crankshaft.. and a subsequent kaBOOM. It's tough to check most of these bolts because they're under the flywheel.

OTOH, I love the Briggs 18.5hp single on my ~8yr old Sears rider. Doesn't suck gas nearly as bad a V-twin does. I've owned a few.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Yeah, I'm not huge fan of the Kohler Courage series single cylinder engines, but they've seemed to work the bugs out of them over the years. Early models had issues with the bolts loosening on the crankcase cover. This would allow for radial movement of the flywheel end of the crankshaft.. and a subsequent kaBOOM. It's tough to check most of these bolts because they're under the flywheel.

OTOH, I love the Briggs 18.5hp single on my ~8yr old Sears rider. Doesn't suck gas nearly as bad a V-twin does. I've owned a few.

Good to know, thanks. I've seen the Kohler vtwin 7000 on a bunch of different mowers across brands and assumed it would be decent, but I dont have any real experience to base that on.

Considering most of the 5 year old JD/Craftsman tractors I see on craigslist are all "runs great, deck is rusted out" I suppose those single cyl briggs are probably the more reliable part.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy

The lower end twin cylinder engines have 50 times more problems in the long run than a decent single cylinder Briggs or Kohler.

I'm not doubting you, but problems like what? The only problems I've ever had on lawn equipment in 20 years is that the carbs get clogged up and people keep running them without oil. Granted, I've never had a 2 cyl engine in anything so I'm just wondering what kind of problems they have.

Nothing makes a V-twin inherently more unreliable than a single cyl, other than they have more moving parts than a single. They tend to vibrate a little less and sound nicer than a one-lung.

To me, having owned various twins and large singles over the years, I like either, but I like the fuel efficiency of a OHV single better.

Kohler Courage V-twins are similar to the Command series, but use jamb nut valve lash adjustment as opposed to hydraulic lash adjusters on the Command. Commands have nicer features like oil coolers, supposedly bigger bearings, etc.

IMO, that's the key to the lower cost riders; Make the machine last as long as the engine. With reasonable care, the engines typically outlast the machine, cutting deck, trans, etc..

Letting that deck 'hang' when mowing, scraping it, blowing the machine off with your leaf blower and storing it in dry storage makes everything last many years.

Last edited:
I would go with the Deere, better dealer support and parts availability. I can still get parts for my 1968 JD 112, in fact, my dealer still stocks all the maintenance items like belts, filters and spark plugs.
The steering on the low end Deere models seems to hold up better than the AYP or MTD models.

Also, the low end JD models are normally the same price from the dealer as they are from the box stores. I recommend buying from the dealer if you have one nearby. They make sure they are assembled and adjusted properly, and it helps to have a relationship wit the dealer if you ever need any warranty or service work.

Nothing makes a V-twin inherently more unreliable than a single cyl, other than they have more moving parts than a single. They tend to vibrate a little less and sound nicer than a one-lung.

To me, having owned various twins and large singles over the years, I like either, but I like the fuel efficiency of a OHV single better.

Kohler Courage V-twins are similar to the Command series, but use jamb nut valve lash adjustment as opposed to hydraulic lash adjusters on the Command. Commands have nicer features like oil coolers, supposedly bigger bearings, etc.

IMO, that's the key to the lower cost riders; Make the machine last as long as the engine. With reasonable care, the engines typically outlast the machine, cutting deck, trans, etc..

Letting that deck 'hang' when mowing, scraping it, blowing the machine off with your leaf blower and storing it in dry storage makes everything last many years.

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I tend to take pretty good care of my yard equipment and I'm only mowing a lawn so the lower end stuff should be fine.

An early copy of the sears black friday ad is online now and shows this mower for $989.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-cm-17.5-hp-tractor-42-in/p-07120373000P

Yes, I know its a lower end unit. Its similar feature for feature to the JD D105, and pretty much the same unit as the one I posted earlier except the Kohler Vtwin is swapped out for a Briggs 17.5 (which is similar or same as the engine in the deere). Same CVT trans, although I think with the craftsman you downgrade from a cast iron front axle to a steel one.

I went to both HD and Lowes and asked if they would honor the 10% off coupon on riding mowers - yes, except for the JD. So that makes the price split between the two $500, or 50% of the cost. I like the Deere and I do have a dealer somewhat closeby for support, but I cannot swing a 50% cost difference for JD.

dd- Like I say, I'd avoid any Sears rider where the model number does not start with a 9. Those are MTD machines. I'm quite sure the one you linked to above is an MTD machine. If you can find a Husqvarna made one with a 42" deck, that will be a nice lower cost mower for you. I don't care for the MTD 42" deck, their transmatic drive systems (like the one in the link)are a disaster as well. That one is not a true hydrostatic.

Last edited:
dd- Like I say, I'd avoid any Sears rider where the model number does not start with a 9. Those are MTD machines. I'm quite sure the one you linked to above is an MTD machine. If you can find a Husqvarna made one with a 42" deck, that will be a nice lower cost mower for you. I don't care for the MTD 42" deck, their transmatic drive systems (like the one in the link)are a disaster as well. That one is not a true hydrostatic.

Model number starting with a 9 - I'm not seeing anything that starts with a 9 or a 2. I saw an earlier post that said for the SKU, if it was 917 that was Husq but if it was 247 it was MTD, but I don't see either of those numbers on either unit, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

I actually got a call from my uncle an hour ago, he was at the Sears outlet store and saw a few mowers and gave me a call since he knew I was in the market. They had the one from the original link (below) for $1250. I'd have to find it out if it was a return unit or a refurbish or what but its another option.

I saw that both used a CVT automatic but wasn't sure if there would be a difference between the two. If one is made by MTD and the other Husq I could see the potential for a difference in the trans.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-20.0-hp-k...mp;AID=11042411

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back