First Riding mower - Help me out.

I have one more random piece of advice: For the longest time, I was having trouble starting the engine. I charged/replaced the battery multiple times, until I figured out the grounding screw was loose. When that happens, you will have symptoms like the battery is shot. But sometimes, it randomly works. It would inevitably happen to me at the furthest corner of the property from the house, so I had to push it quite a distance.

Well I went with a box store John Deere, why? The dealer was selling the same item for over $100 more, and many more miles to drive to get it.
Kind of a no brain er, it was in a crate and never sat outside for kids and weather to play on it. All the JD's now have an all metal hydrostat transaxle no more plastic. The box store tractors are the same exact thing as the ones at the dealer, and same with both places it all depends on who they have that is setting up the machines, as to what condition it will be in.
I was going to poo poo the talk about recommending a 2 cylinder engine over the single cylinder 17.5. I don't know about the newer ones now, but not in the too distant past the single cylinder engines had problems with ACR breaking causing difficult starting and possible other related problems from the parts that let loose, as well as head gasket troubles. But then you pay $200 or so more for the extra cylinder.

Well I went with a box store John Deere, why? The dealer was selling the same item for over $100 more, and many more miles to drive to get it.
Kind of a no brain er, it was in a crate and never sat outside for kids and weather to play on it. All the JD's now have an all metal hydrostat transaxle no more plastic. The box store tractors are the same exact thing as the ones at the dealer, and same with both places it all depends on who they have that is setting up the machines, as to what condition it will be in.
I was going to poo poo the talk about recommending a 2 cylinder engine over the single cylinder 17.5. I don't know about the newer ones now, but not in the too distant past the single cylinder engines had problems with ACR breaking causing difficult starting and possible other related problems from the parts that let loose, as well as head gasket troubles. But then you pay $200 or so more for the extra cylinder.
So what did you purchase?

Yeah not too thrilled about the reputation of the single cylinder either. All JDs have a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, for what that is worth.
I suppose if a person has a problem, and you have to truck it to the dealer during summer time the wait maybe 2 months before they look at it. Just a guess. I wouldn't be thrilled about the average master hammer and chisel mechanics working on it either.

I mow my lawn an acre and a half, and the neighbors lawn from time to time (2 acres). I bought an XT2 last year. I am at 80 hours on it now no issues.
I used to mow with 2 old Craftsman LT1000s one has over 1500 hours on it the other close to 1400.
You are mowing a flat 3/4 quarters of an acre. If you spend more than 1500 bucks it is because you want to, not because you need to.
Up until I made this a dually it was the only mower I ever really mowed with 19.5 Briggs turbo cool. This is the one with 1500 hours on it
100325465_10220032446514791_2172449751725768704_o.jpg

The Swisher is a great zt, but pricey. In the range of 17K as I recall, meant for professional use. Mjkrorez, do you own one?
If you are willing to spend that kind of money, there are surely lots of options. I thought this thread was discussing residential mowers?

Go with the dealer version for $100 extra. If it needs service under warranty, guess which ones get serviced 1st?, the ones the dealer sold or the ones sold by the big box stores?

Back