Opinions on the John Deere S240?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by glock19
...The only concern I have now is for the transmission, it's definitely going to be exposed to some hilly terrain.

As long as the operator doesn't weigh a ton and you mow high like you say and you don't try to cut grass that's 6" high, it should last. Like said, keep it running it's coolest by blowing the crap off the trans housing after each use. Changing the oil on them doubles or triples their lifespan too. They are sold as "sealed", but the oil can be changed on them.

Thanks for the reassurance. I weigh 170lbs and I'll only be mowing dry 4.5" grass down to 3.5" so I don't think it's going to be too much of a load. I'll have to look into the procedure to change the transmission fluid.

Originally Posted by glock19
The spindles are one of the reasons I'm looking at the S240 and not the E series from Lowes or Home Depot. Supposedly, it has the upgraded spindles from the X series mowers.
Would you mind elaborating on this? Where is it claimed that the spindles are better?

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Would you mind elaborating on this? Where is it claimed that the spindles are better?

I'm not sure how I got the impression the were the same as the X series spindles. They're claimed to be premium spindles over the 100 series.

This is from a review on tractor.com:

The 42" Edge mowing deck is much improved over the 100 series, with heavier hanger attachment points, premium spindles, large anti-scalp wheels, updated idler bearings, and spindle sleeves.

https://www.tractor.com/manufacturers/john-deere/2015-john-deere-s240-sport-review-1715.html

Here is directly from John Deere:

S240 Tractor's mower deck features a number of durability upgrades compared to comparable John Deere 100 Series and competitive mower decks:

- Premium spindles (same as used on comparable Select Seriesâ„¢ decks)
- Larger anti-scalp wheels
- Upgraded fixed idler sheave bearing (increases life in dirty conditions)
- Upgraded spindle sheaves (same as used on 100 Series 54-in [137-cm] decks)
- Upgraded power take-off (PTO) drive sheave (improves belt life at lower heights of cut)

https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/lawn-tractors/s240/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back