Just looked at the new 2015 Ford Mustangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
40k for a mustang GT, new car sticker shock here too.
5 years ago, they were 25k new?

More like 15 years ago. 2003 Cobras were 38-42k when new. My 2014 stickered for 44,250.

The '15 certainly looks good. I wish I could move on one.

My '02 is still perfect at 64k miles and I could never let it go. If I lived in a climate where I could own two, I probably would.

I remember back in 87 when they were selling 5.0LX notchbacks for $11,995 brand new! People here in the Toronto area were snapping them up like crazy, all my friends had them (I had a couple of different 87 GTs that I bought used in the early 90s)

Without all the extra features on it these things were light, just over 3000 pounds.

My 2012 GT stickered for $32k and with rebates and X-plan I got it for $24k.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

My 14 has the "sound pipe" as they call it on the forums. I had it disconnected, but could not come up with an elegant solution so I put it back on. The Borla exhaust makes up for the stupid idea anyway.

On the spectrum of these things, at least the sound pipe is piping real intake sounds. While it is a bit artificial, that's at least arguably just engineering for the sounds you want to hear inside while still insulating out more of the other noise. The actual sound generators though .. ugh.

Originally Posted By: Patman

I remember back in 87 when they were selling 5.0LX notchbacks for $11,995 brand new! People here in the Toronto area were snapping them up like crazy, all my friends had them (I had a couple of different 87 GTs that I bought used in the early 90s)

Without all the extra features on it these things were light, just over 3000 pounds.

Nice observations!

The car manufacturers have become narcissistic and believe they can do no wrong because of all the marketing data they have.

Thing is that increasingly the car buying public is becoming a bit more savvy too and pushing back...

The reason car prices have gone up in part is because they are building vehicles in such a way that you CANNOT get a basic version of models like the Mustang that have the high performance guts....Some of us simply refuse to buy new because of this
obnoxious nonsense. So they are losing many potential customers..period.

Ugly rear design around the lights. Bloated look to the rest of the body.

And the price for just a simple GT? No way.

The base GT's sticker for a little over $32,000. My 14 was a base model car with the automatic as the only option and the MSRP was $32,740

I deleted the sound tube on mine and didn't notice any difference in the sound inside the car.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If it actually got to the point I needed a full on road race car, I would use my 95 and get a purpose built box.

True, a Jerico dog ring box would fit that bill perfectly!
19.gif

Yes, my brother bought his stripped (but auto) '91 notch new for ~$12,500, tax and destination included!!
smile.gif

1) The new Mustang lost to the Camaro in the latest Motor Trend comparo. Pretty pathetic when a whole new generation car loses to a car that's been on the market for a couple years now.

2) Have you price complainers not heard about inflation? With modest 3% inflation, prices double about every 20 years. So that 1987 'Stang that sold for $11,995 back then would sell for $26,644 today. But of course the 'Stang you'd buy today for $26k is light years ahead of the 1987 model in every respect, so you're actually getting far more bang for your buck today than you were back then.

Originally Posted By: kam327
But of course the 'Stang you'd buy today for $26k is light years ahead of the 1987 model in every respect, so you're actually getting far more bang for your buck today than you were back then.

Are you really? That's a $14,000 price jump for this 2015 Premium GT over a "new" 1987 LX 5.0 (inflation adjusted) for some safety features, maybe some My Touch Sync screens or whatever, NVH refinement, and some speed off the showroom floor. Real world fuel economy will probably end up being close. The Mustang's QC and reliability has taken a hit over the last few years too, so you're actually losing there...no problematic Chinese transmission in an '87, no mysterious interior finish/trim failures that Ford wouldn't acknowledge. $14K would go a long way in a Fox body.

I'm not convinced the bang for the buck has improved much if at all, at least for this model. $40K for a basic GT still seems pretty absurd to me.

$40K? So it pretty much competes with the BMW 4 series. You can snag a 2014 435I in the low $40k range, and getting that motor over 400 hp is child's play.

I have not driven the new Mustang but I hope for that money its as good as a German car in all areas.

The used to be a bargain, I remember looking at a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition for I think the mid $40k range. That seemed like a heck of a deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
$40K? So it pretty much competes with the BMW 4 series. You can snag a 2014 435I in the low $40k range, and getting that motor over 400 hp is child's play.

I have not driven the new Mustang but I hope for that money its as good as a German car in all areas.

The used to be a bargain, I remember looking at a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition for I think the mid $40k range. That seemed like a heck of a deal.

I think you can get a 228i for low $30k's, mid $30k's if you opt for the M-Sport package. I really do like the new Mustang, but if I'm dabbling in that price range I may be looking at the BMW. The Mustang is faster, sure, but I don't mind dialing it back a bit on that if I get a bit more car elsewhere. But I tend to favor certain driving dynamics over raw horsepower.

^ statement could be drastically revised after driving either one of these cars

They need to offer an LX with all the go fast goodies of the GT again...whatever happened to performance at bargain prices?

Originally Posted By: kam327
1) The new Mustang lost to the Camaro in the latest Motor Trend comparo. Pretty pathetic when a whole new generation car loses to a car that's been on the market for a couple years now.

2) Have you price complainers not heard about inflation? With modest 3% inflation, prices double about every 20 years. So that 1987 'Stang that sold for $11,995 back then would sell for $26,644 today. But of course the 'Stang you'd buy today for $26k is light years ahead of the 1987 model in every respect, so you're actually getting far more bang for your buck today than you were back then.

And the Mustang won in the latest Car & Driver

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I love the idea of the Ecoboost, but Ford designed it to make "VROOM VROOM" noises through the speakers.

Not cool guys, not cool.

That is a glimspse into the future of electric "sports cars"......

IMHO even family cars with strong V6's are more powerful then the 1980's-1990's sports cars sometimes. However they lack the audio and are too comfortable to make you feel like you are actually driving the car and audio pleasure.

You can also get a Mustang GT for $30,300 with the X plan, $32,100 without. Still far cheaper than a 435i ($46,000). And even much cheaper than a base 428i ($40,500).

The new Mustang GT with the performance pack ($35,402 MSRP, $33,383 X Plan) is faster around a track than the Boss 302 was according for Ford. I think that's a bargain.

These are also just the starter Mustangs too. The next hi-po version (GT350R?) comes out on Nov 17th. Probably the all white car seen here at the Nurburgring. More to come after that.
http://youtu.be/aO9LYepgRq0

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mykl

I think you can get a 228i for low $30k's, mid $30k's if you opt for the M-Sport package. I really do like the new Mustang, but if I'm dabbling in that price range I may be looking at the BMW. The Mustang is faster, sure, but I don't mind dialing it back a bit on that if I get a bit more car elsewhere. But I tend to favor certain driving dynamics over raw horsepower.

^ statement could be drastically revised after driving either one of these cars

Considering my traffic choked roads with cops that love nailing loud muscle cars speed doesn't matter. I'm more interested in how it drives and feels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back