Subaru Outback with 6 speed manual - which years of 2.5L had the HG issue resolved?

I am specifically looking for a M/T and the Outback looks least objectionable. As I could use the space and AWD is a bonus plus ground clearance.

I have the following questions:

Which years of the 2.5L are definitively free of the dreaded head gasket issue? Some sources say the issue existed until 2011 but I want some definitive answer. I am looking circa 2013-2015 in my price range. Ideally one with a new motor installed. I know it's a unicorn but I did just that with the Yukon I got.
I want something for DD, better on gas than 6.2L.

Secondly, was there an option to get M/T with the 3.0L V6 engine in the Outback? The newer 3.6L engine looks nice but there is no M/T as an option at all.

I am specifically looking for a M/T and the Outback looks least objectionable. As I could use the space and AWD is a bonus plus ground clearance.

Which years of the 2.5L are definitively free of the dreaded head gasket issue? Some sources say the issue existed until 2011 but I want some definitive answer. I am looking circa 2013-2015 in my price range. Ideally one with a new motor installed. I know it's a unicorn but I did just that with the Yukon I got.

Secondly, was there an option to get M/T with the 3.0L V6 engine in the Outback? The newer 3.6L engine looks nice but there is no M/T as an option at all.
VW Sportwagon 1.8T manual. It is twice the car.

Fixed with the FB series engine 2013-2014 years available with 6mt. I work on one with 340,000 miles on it. Aside from the oil consumption when the owner bought it at 200k and I replaced engine at 270k, it has had 1 alternator and some light bulbs and regular routine maintenance. Very solid car in my opinion at least that specific one.

2009 it was fixed. The EJ engine was retired after model year 2012. I would avoid any FB engine 2013-2015 because they are oil burning loose tolerance piles of junk.

VW Sportwagon 1.8T manual. It is twice the car.
Looking under the hood, it's looks very tight to do anything like timing belt or anything else. Does not appear to be much of a DIY type.

It was "fixed" in 2009 from quick research. You can find head gasket failures on everything mass produced if you look. So don't be turned off until you do real research.

You're presumptuous. I *did* my research. I wanted to see if this forum could substantiate my conclusions or disprove them.

What's a good offer on this 2012 2.5L with M/T?
I'm in DC area with DC traffic so that M/T is a questionable proposition. Probably downright unsaleable.

Looking under the hood, it's looks very tight to do anything like timing belt or anything else. Does not appear to be much of a DIY type.

1.8T Does not have a timing belt, but a timing chain. That is old 1.8T that you are talking about.

You might be better served with a Forester. It was the first Subaru to get the FB engine, starting in 2011.

The Legacy and Outback didn't get the FB until 2013.

If you want a manual AWD, consider the Suzuki SX4 instead. It has a regular engine and should have better gas mileage than a non-CVT Subaru :sneaky:

You'd be better off with a 2013-17 Accord manual, especially if you don't need AWD.

The Matrix/Vibe is another good choice. However, AWD was only available with automatic. The MT versions were FWD-only.

Another manual AWD you might like is the Jeep Compass/Patriot, or the later Renegade if you afford it.

What's a good offer on this 2012 2.5L with M/T?
I'm in DC area with DC traffic so that M/T is a questionable proposition. Probably downright unsaleable.

Nope

🛑

What exactly is "FB"?

FB is the newer engine series that Subaru is using.

The old engine is called EJ.

Besides better head gaskets, the FB has a timing chain rather than a stupid timing belt.

You might be better served with a Forester. It was the first Subaru to get the FB engine, starting in 2011.

This is very helpful. I thought about the Forester. Don't really understand what the nuances are vs. Outback. Other than it's shorter, seats 1" higher, taller roof, has similar cargo space.

This is very helpful. I thought about the Forester. Don't really understand what the nuances are vs. Outback. Other than it's shorter, seats 1" higher, taller roof, has similar cargo space.
I posted a vehicle thread a while back where I was tossing around the idea of either a small truck or a Forester. At least with the current gens, the forester interior is actually a tad larger than the Outback.

I prefer the looks and proportion of the Forester, but both aren’t exactly what I call sharp vehicles either.

Still tossing around the idea of one when the time comes. I feel I drive too much to justify a truck.

Keep an eye out for oil leaks on the FB engines. Subaru traded head gasket issues for oil leaks apparently. Some just seep, and in rare cases drip pretty good. I'm the lucky one who had a pretty good drip and it's still in the shop getting repaired... :oops:

Jeeps - transverse mounted motor, looks like repairs will be more complicated the standard subaru engine layout.

Won't be harder than a Subaru! For example, replacing spark plugs and valve cover gaskets are much easier :D

Sure, Jeep isn't exactly Toyota, but neither is Subaru :sneaky:

A transverse I4 is usually very easy to work on.

Also, the Forester has a huge sunroof, which helps a lot. That's a big difference.

Back