Reliable years of Subaru Outback?

My family has had 4 Subarus. I owned 2 and my brother owned 2. Mine were a 1.8 GL and a 2.2 legacy. Both of mine were reliable and handled a lot of abuse. The legacy was miles ahead in chassis stiffness and safety protection. The 2.2 used some oil, but it was underpowered and the throttle was often driven like a toggle switch. My brother received a vehicle buyout due to engine failure in one of his, a 2.5 legacy, and his other legacy has well over 200k miles and has rolled over down a ravine after swerving to miss a moose, and still runs like a switch watch with the chrome rubbed off and the band in tatters.

agree, they can be quirky. But, the center loaded AWD I had in mine is indeed a different beast compared to the FWD-based cars I’ve also driven in the snow, which while effective enough for getting home, simply didn’t hold a candle to Subaru‘s version if you really wanted to drive the car.

but, given a choice today, based on other factors, I’d gladly take a Volvo with recent generation haldex.

Head gasket failure years for Subaru were 1999-2004. Outside this range not very common however their reputation for it seemed to linger despite low rate of failure.

Good luck. On BMW 3 series wagon with AWD they are more tedious to repair . I know a few folks who self wrench and they state this .
Not true. The 2.5 NA was prone to head gaskets through 2010.

Jetta 1.8Tsi is better option than any Subaru.
In what possible way?? AWD? No, Safety? No, Amount and cost of repairs? No, Initial cost? No, Better "Eyesight? No. Durability? No

BTW Subaru turbos have been around almost as long as any vehicle. Their Turbo engine HG almost never leaked through the years. Since 2013 Subaru 2.0 FA made Ward's top 10 engines three times. VW- once in 2014

Not true. The 2.5 NA was prone to head gaskets through 2010.

In what possible way?? AWD? No, Safety? No, Amount and cost of repairs? No, Initial cost? No, Better "Eyesight? No. Durability? No

BTW Subaru turbos have been around almost as long as any vehicle. Their Turbo engine HG almost never leaked through the years. Since 2013 Subaru 2.0 FA made Ward's top 10 engines three times. VW- once in 2014
LOL, sure.

Eyesight? Yeah, also, you need full glass coverage for it.
Safety? Not sure how it is safer, but considering that VW is more dynamic and has better handling and brakes, I would call it: less chance of getting into a wreck.

Cost of repairs? LOL. Subaru, a new benchmark of reliability 😂😂😂

Subaru is number one vehicle in the ditch here. When I see one in the review mirror; downshift, and runaway.

They did though successfully manage to make more boring vehicles than Avalon, hence, the average age of buyers of 114.

LOL, sure.

Eyesight? Yeah, also, you need full glass coverage for it.
Safety? Not sure how it is safer, but considering that VW is more dynamic and has better handling and brakes, I would call it: less chance of getting into a wreck.

Cost of repairs? LOL. Subaru, a new benchmark of reliability 😂😂😂

Subaru is number one vehicle in the ditch here. When I see one in the review mirror; downshift, and runaway.

They did though successfully manage to make more boring vehicles than Avalon, hence, the average age of buyers of 114.
I guess actual data on safety says even the latest WRX has a lower death rate than the Jetta, which is mind boggling considering some of the WRX drivers! The Impreza and Crosstrek death rates are even lower than the WRX of course.
For all the ditch diving, terrible brakes and handling, all season tires in winter overconfidence, and huge risk of falling asleep, the Outback has 1/10 the death rate of a Jetta?
If you just want to get places needing AWD cheaply and safely, a Subaru isn't a bad way to go IMO. Ours has had zero repairs we've paid for so far, and it doesn't lead an easy life!

I guess actual data on safety says even the latest WRX has a lower death rate than the Jetta, which is mind boggling considering some of the WRX drivers! The Impreza and Crosstrek death rates are even lower than the WRX of course.
For all the ditch diving, terrible brakes and handling, all season tires in winter overconfidence, and huge risk of falling asleep, the Outback has 1/10 the death rate of a Jetta?
If you just want to get places needing AWD cheaply and safely, a Subaru isn't a bad way to go IMO. Ours has had zero repairs we've paid for so far, and it doesn't lead an easy life!
Jetta is probably most popular car among students. So, I think that plays big role.

lolz

Jetta is probably most popular car among students. So, I think that plays big role.
hahahahaah....lame for sure

Also Jetta 4 stat for driver and passenger
Forester 5 star for driver and passenger

Overall Front Star Rating
5 star

Combines Driver and Passenger star ratings into a single frontal rating. The frontal barrier test simulates a head-on collision between two similar vehicles, each moving at 35 mph.
Front Driver Side
5 star

Front Passenger Side
5 star

Last edited:
lolz

hahahahaah....lame for sure

Also Jetta 4 stat for driver and passenger
Forester 5 star for driver and passenger

Overall Front Star Rating
5 star

Combines Driver and Passenger star ratings into a single frontal rating. The frontal barrier test simulates a head-on collision between two similar vehicles, each moving at 35 mph.
Front Driver Side
5 star

Front Passenger Side
5 star
Yes. Considering suspension and brakes, it needs concrete wall in front of the driver.

Yes. Considering suspension and brakes, it needs concrete wall in front of the driver.
Umm, in N.A. Jetta has a torsion beam rear axle(except GLI)... I'm sure it works well enough, but then there's also a reason the GLI and all subaru's use independent rear suspension.
I think the idea that subaru brakes and suspension are so poor that its dangerous is a bit silly as well. Clearly they are working well enough in the real world.

Umm, in N.A. Jetta has a torsion beam rear axle(except GLI)... I'm sure it works well enough, but then there's also a reason the GLI and all subaru's use independent rear suspension.
I think the idea that subaru brakes and suspension are so poor that its dangerous is a bit silly as well. Clearly they are working well enough in the real world.
Well, yeah the do work good enough. Did you see speeds of average Subaru in the left lane?

Ask @TiGeo about his Sportwagon he is killing on track. Subaru track
Made vehicle cannot finish average track day without blowing rod bearings.

Interestingly, the most unimpressive part of my WRX are its brakes. I understand now why people spend so much money to upgrade them to the STI brakes.

Even my 35-year-old Fiero has better brakes.

A colleague of mine has a dealer maintained 5-6 year old outback. It needed a transmission replaced to the tune of $8200 last week. At around 75k miles, with all fluid changes done.

Well, yeah the do work good enough. Did you see speeds of average Subaru in the left lane?

Ask @TiGeo about his Sportwagon he is killing on track. Subaru track
Made vehicle cannot finish average track day without blowing rod bearings.
So do any of those facts effect anyone driving an Outback on the street? Not really...
It is disappointing that Subaru engineers messed up the oil pan design on the BRZ, but solutions exist, and its expensive to track almost any car and be uninformed about its limitations...

So do any of those facts effect anyone driving an Outback on the street? Not really...
It is disappointing that Subaru engineers messed up the oil pan design on the BRZ, but solutions exist, and its expensive to track almost any car and be uninformed about its limitations...
When you built car and advertise it as track vehicle, oil pressure is expected to be there all the time (kind of expected in any engine).
My point is that it is testament how well Sportwagon is built.

A colleague of mine has a dealer maintained 5-6 year old outback. It needed a transmission replaced to the tune of $8200 last week. At around 75k miles, with all fluid changes done.
So subaru paid for it of course. They've extended the warranty on the CVT to 100k and 120 months. I think the CVT is a bit vulnerable to being run hard while its cold, but I don't have much evidence of it.

Nearly 100K/5 years, >2x stock power for the majority of that time/mileage, a lot of track time, beating, drag racing, etc. Just did a compression test.....180/178/177/180. No oil consumption. These MQB VWs/ea888.3 engines are really stout. Drives like it's new.
FB_IMG_1696470948331.jpg

The answer is simple. There is no EJ series except perhaps 2008+ that are immune to head gasket failures. All of them are old and tired today, so the value of Subaru's are continuing to diminish. You will find little to look forward to with FB engines, such as massive fuel dilution for the DI's, and loose tolerances by factory design. I'm pretty much done with Subaru's myself as a DD.

Reactions: D60
So subaru paid for it of course. They've extended the warranty on the CVT to 100k and 120 months. I think the CVT is a bit vulnerable to being run hard while its cold, but I don't have much evidence of it.
Was it CVT models that started the blue WARNING-THE-ENGINE-IS-COLD temp light?

I always thought that was a backwards feature -- normally we're most concerned with an overheat condition.

Back