Just like that, my bad fuel dilution problem is gone.

I wouldn’t discount what the OP experiencing. He told us what he is experiencing with using a different oil. There’s no reason to believe he’s being untruthful.

I would throw some Mobil 1 ESP I still have in, but when I was playing oil brand swap back at the beginning I got a high lead 70 ppm from changing brands and add packs the guy at Polaris said. They see it from time to time. He wanted to see me stay with the same oil for three oil changes and said we will see this come down, as it did. He raced Hyundai's and builds motors so they tossed me over to him because he was their Hyundai guy.
UOA? could you post them or link to them? might help the skepticism in here. 🍿🍿 YAWN

Because right now this thread resembles a boy racer who just discovered the Redline Aisle at Summit Racing.

Lots of accusations and opinions from OP with no facts.
saying "YAWN YAWN CONSPIRACY YAWN"
doesnt change anything.

I wouldn’t discount what the OP experiencing. He told us what he is experiencing with using a different oil. There’s no reason to believe he’s being untruthful.
No one doubts his story.

It's the leap from observation to conclusion that is doubtful.

Since the title of the thread is, in fact, that specious conclusion, it has everyone's attention.

No one doubts his story.

It's the leap from observation to conclusion that is doubtful.

Since the title of the thread is, in fact, that specious conclusion, it has everyone's attention.

Bingo.

It’s not the what that he’s experiencing, it’s the why, that people are questioning.

It is quite possible that the oils he was using before were causing light knocking and the ECM stepped in to adjust the fuel and spark timing.

Part of the SN Plus oil LSPI testing was to improve fuel economy of current T-GDI engines via avoiding LSPI situations.

Again, there’s no reason not to believe the OP or question his antics.

Last edited:
It is quite possible that the oils he was using before were causing light knocking and the ECM stepped in to adjust the fuel and spark timing.

Part of the SN Plus oil LSPI testing was to improve fuel economy of current T-GDI engines via avoiding LSPI situations.

Again, there’s no reason not to believe the OP or question his antics.
The oil he was using previously, M1 ESP, is specifically designed for TGDI and was already formulated to avoid LSPI long before it became standard.

It might not have been enough for his application.

OP- if you are seeing improvement in your fuel dilution then that’s all that matters. Many folks here aren’t going to believe you and that’s okay. Again, I noticed an improvement when I switched to the SN Plus oils on my GDI engine. Oil didn’t darken as much as before and the fuel smell was greatly diminished (Same oil change interval). I mentioned it this past summer and I got talked down because of it as well. There’s a lot more to motor oil than people here would like to admit and the technology needed for it to work well in today’s engines is like no other we’ve seen before.

It might not have been enough for his application.

OP- if you are seeing improvement in your fuel dilution then that’s all that matters. Many folks here aren’t going to believe you and that’s okay. Again, I noticed an improvement when I switched to the SN Plus oils on my GDI engine. Oil didn’t darken as much as before and the fuel smell was greatly diminished (Same oil change interval). I mentioned it this past summer and I got talked down because of it as well. There’s a lot more to motor oil than people here would like to admit and the technology needed for it to work well in today’s engines is like no other we’ve seen before.

The oil he switched to is a formula that's more than a decade old, it's not API SP, it's not API anything, it's not even an API approved product, and it most certainly wasn't reformulated for TGDI applications.

I’m highly skeptical of the claim that a change in oil brand resulted in lower fuel dilution.

The source of dilution, your DI injectors, has remained unchanged. So, how could the oil affect the amount of gasoline in your oil? You offer a thin guess, but it’s both thin (ring sealing?) and a guess.

Worse, you impute lower dilution based on oil level measurement.

Because the oil level didn’t rise as much, you’re not getting gasoline in the oil? That’s a wild assumption. You are more likely to be getting the same amount of fuel, but some, as yet unknown, factor is causing the oil to be consumed.

Therefore, same dilution, but no change in level.

Your “conclusion” is premature, when no UOA has been done and many alternative explanations exist.
Maybe, but your if it changed over time. Oil that always raised in amount. Then an oil change, waited 2 weeks and what nrmally
UOA? could you post them or link to them? might help the skepticism in here. 🍿🍿 YAWN

Because right now this thread resembles a boy racer who just discovered the Redline Aisle at Summit Racing.

Lots of accusations and opinions from OP with no facts.
saying "YAWN YAWN CONSPIRACY YAWN"
doesnt change anything.

The oil he switched to is a formula that's more than a decade old, it's not API SP, it's not API anything, it's not even an API approved product, and it most certainly wasn't reformulated for TGDI applications.
Turbo diesel car, and turbo gas car. But it is marginal oil since it is not API and TGDI approved. And is over ten years old.

Euro-Series 5W30 Motor Oil​

• Recommended for ACEA C3, VW AUDI 504.00/507.00, BMW Longlife-04, Porsche C30, GM dexos2®, MB 229.31/229.51 and Chrysler MS-11106
  • Designed for the extended drain intervals and fuel economy of the latest European gasoline and diesel engines, including VW TDI models and BMW 3-series diesels
  • Includes the appropriate levels of anti-wear additives and low ash content to ensure compatibility with the latest diesel particulate filters and emissions equipment
  • Ester based, an upgrade over base stocks over other motor oils for these vehicles that provides additional protection against wear and instability at high temps

2018 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 AWD never had a problem with gas in the oil with normal driving using whatever 5W-30 synthetic that was on sale.

There is no oil that changes the mechanical function of how a vehicle injects fuel. The Kona may have slowed the fuel dump on its own. Either way, that's great news.

Last edited:
There is no oil that changes the mechanical function of how a vehicle injects fuel. The Kona may have slowed the fuel dump on its own. Either way, that's great news.
Yea, but MoleKule said his only thinking is the Ester could be sealing the rings better. Who knows????

Not entirely true. SN Plus oils help mitigate LSPI. Current GDI/TGDI engines have logic in the ECM that changes fuel/ignition timing in situations where LSPI may occur. Most OEM’s control and try to prevent LSPI by injecting more fuel into the cylinders to help curb LSPI. This lowers fuel economy and contributes to fuel dilution. If an engine oil is helping to keep abnormal combustion at bay, the ECM doesn’t have to resort to changing fuel/ignition timing nor dump more fuel into the cylinders.

Not entirely true. SN Plus oils help mitigate LSPI. Current GDI/TGDI engines have logic in the ECM that changes fuel/ignition timing in situations where LSPI may occur. Most OEM’s control and try to prevent LSPI by injecting more fuel into the cylinders to help curb LSPI. This lowers fuel economy and contributes to fuel dilution. If an engine oil is helping to keep abnormal combustion at bay, the ECM doesn’t have to resort to changing fuel/ignition timing nor dump more fuel into the cylinders.
As I noted earlier, this isn't an SN Plus oil, it's not even SN or SM, it's "recommended for" SN applications and the PDS was last updated in 2017:

There is absolutely no mention of LSPI on that PDS.

On the other hand, the oil he was using previously:

Which actually has Dexos2, meaning it actually passes a test that has LSPI mitigation requirements as part of it:

Back