Just like that, my bad fuel dilution problem is gone.

When I bought my car back in 2018, I knew I was going to have bad fuel dilution problems. In fact, I bought a 10 pack of tests from Polaris Labs before the car was even in the driveway. My car is a lowered 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T. I short trip summer and winter, I use a car starter year round, and am on boost more then most. I have always had fuel dilution, even in summer. In winter I would gain 3/4 qt +, and would have to pump out oil through the dipstick port with and oil analysis sample pump. during my 3,000+ winter and 4,000 summer OCI. I am ALWAYS above 5^ at Polaris Lab advanced fuel test. ( you have to force them to do that test, otherwise you get the worthless inaccurate generic one) I have been through different oils most all show an increase in oil level within 500 miles. My first long term "go to oil" oil was Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30. I will not go lower then a 11+ 100C and min 3.5 HTHS oil. This last summer I found Redline Euro 5w-30 on sale around $9.20/qt.

Right off the bat I noticed ZERO oil level gain in the summer through the whole 3,750 miles I went. I was waiting to see what winter had to offer me, as I always gain high levels in Minnesota winters. Almost no gain, it gained that small little dot above the F mark, 2mm at the most, after 3,500 miles. Even that we have not had the real low temps yet I would still gain 3/4 qt. in these so called warm temps.

I specifically wanted to go to Redline because of the Ester for it's aluminum loving polarity for the Hyundai's piston metallurgy/galling issues. My thought was on startup, Ester based oil will have a better chance to be on my piston skirts then other oil. I also wait before I drive off to let my pistons expand a bit as I have seen some bad rocking wear on some OEM "short length" piston skirts, even in summer. The Euro also has lower Ca aiding the Ester to reduce LSPI since I get 17+ psi boost at 1,400 rpm .

As I stated before fuel dilution really is a non-factor to me. I tested and tested and there was no wear with 5+ percent fuel, so I soon learned not to worry as so many people do thinking "oh no fuel dilution, EEK!!! " . I would rather not have it YES, NOW I do not have it. But no, after all my testing with no wear I do not have a worry at all anymore that I had it. It was a 100% non factor of worry for me, even at 5 plus percent.

Last edited:
Possibly, but unlikely.
unlikely what? its factually premature.. either you are right or wrong,
but not having data.. to make a post saying no fuel dilution.. is Definitely premature :unsure:
Also I like redline oil but its not some magic elixir.. your post comes off as if you have caught the redline fever ;).

lets keep in mind your attention grabbing title to this thread

"Just like that, my bad fuel dilution problem is gone."

2018 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 AWD never had a problem with gas in the oil with normal driving using whatever 5W-30 synthetic that was on sale.

Possibly, but unlikely.

unlikely what? its factually premature.. either you are right or wrong,
but not having data.. to make a post saying no fuel dilution.. is Definitely premature :unsure:
Also I like redline oil but its not some magic elixir.. your post comes off as if you have caught the redline fever ;).

lets keep in mind your attention grabbing title to this thread

Really? Whatever. Yawn. Take it how ever you want to. Yawn.

2018 Hyundai Tucson 1.6 AWD never had a problem with gas in the oil with normal driving using whatever 5W-30 synthetic that was on sale.
Mine sure did. ( or I guess does as "others" would want me to say) As bad as the Honda 1.5T I would say. Many people freaking out in a tizzy on the Kona forums with it. Hyundai doing this and that, new high pressure pumps ext...... to no avail.

So two things.

You're saying you gained 3/4 of a quart. Meaning 3/4 of a quart of gas was getting added to your oil through dilution. That's a ton. Way higher than what 5% dilution would be responsible for.

Secondly, have I completely missed something here on BITOG? How is an oil going to have any effect on the amount of fuel getting pumped into said oil. Not being smart, I'm genuinely curious. No one here has asked that yet so I feel like I've missed a big piece of information. Oil to combat dilution, sure. But to prevent dilution. That's a whole different ball game.

So two things.

You're saying you gained 3/4 of a quart. Meaning 3/4 of a quart of gas was getting added to your oil through dilution. That's a ton. Way higher than what 5% dilution would be responsible for.

Secondly, have I completely missed something here on BITOG? How is an oil going to have any effect on the amount of fuel getting pumped into said oil. Not being smart, I'm genuinely curious. No one here has asked that yet so I feel like I've missed a big piece of information. Oil to combat dilution, sure. But to prevent dilution. That's a whole different ball game.

Apparently it has magic wizards that turn DI into Port Injection is the gist I'm getting from the thread 🤷‍♂️ Also, we don't have anything actually verified but labelling the conclusion as premature was scoffed at.

I feel like the mythos of Redline transcends space and time. Not only can it rebuild HEMI lifters, it can change the combustion and fuelling characteristics of DI engines. I'm amazed we haven't seen it claimed to solve GM AFM problems, prevent E46 M3 rod bearing failure, stop LS7 valve failures, keep head gaskets in the 6.0L Powerstroke and stop the 6.4L PSD from self-destructing.

1611360380897.jpg

You
So two things.

This is not necessarily related to your post here, I am not going to answer every conspiracy poster. All I know is what I see, I even PMed MolaKule on it during the summer. I was surprised as hejj. You guys can go all negative and conspiracy on this if it makes feel better. I am just stating what I see. You guys dig in to my wording as part of this conspiracy, WOW. YAWN.

RamFan, It is more then 5% as the test goes way down on accuracy after that the told me. That is why they use 5^ I guess.I assume it is in the 7% area.

Maybe I should bring in someone to write a whitepaper on this, so it is not a conspiracy.

Last edited:
3/4 of a qrt gain is better than than 1.5 qrt gain we had in my wife’s beloved 18 crv 1.5LT. She got rid of it for more room. She got a 19 Pilot. I didn’t do a uoa in the the crv.

3/4 of a qrt gain is better than than 1.5 qrt gain we had in my wife’s beloved 18 crv 1.5LT. She got rid of it for more room. She got a 19 Pilot. I didn’t do a uoa in the the crv.
WOW, that's a lot. Mine could be a Qt but not 1.5Qts like you. I would pump it out a couple times and really didn't measure it accurately because I wasn't ready for this conspiracy I am doing, I guess.

Too bad you didn't know about Redline oil while you owned it.
Who's going to pay that money for it unless you have a ton of money to waste, an oil geek/geeking out or have a tuner car. Plus, some of us don't really give a crap about fuel dilution, as you soon find out unless have wear on a UOA, worrying is a moot point.

Last edited:
BTW, 3/4 of a quart of gas in the specified 4.8 quart oil capacity is 15.6%. It looks like many Kona 1.6T owners think the actual oil capacity is more like 4.25 quarts, that would be 17.6%, basic math.

Where do you get the conspiracy crap? The word implies more than one person involved in something. Lose a little attitude and realize your title was a statement of fact, without any data to back it up. Even the 3/4 quart is an estimate. Normal responses for what was posted. Hope you update with a UOA of the Redline if/when you get it tested. (y)

Last edited:
Back