Just keep getting kicked when I'm down!

I think we'll be able to bounce back quickly. The air tools came back around. Air compressor is alive. Only real casualties seem to be the generator (which I didn't pay much for ), ryobi corded saw (couldn't cut straight anyway), corded drill , a few sawsalls and the titanium tig welder. I got the welder sitting in a big bag with desiccant packets to try to dry out.

All my ratchets, sockets, combo wrenches and other metal hand tools are sitting in a bucket of kerosene to try to help get the water out of everything. Got about 37 fans running moving air through.

But after all of this, being the 2nd time this has happened, we're focusing on just getting out of this house at a loss. I bought it on a very dry year without the flooding issues apparent.

We're just going to spend the bare minimum to get the bathroom finished and sell this place at a loss for a bit above what I owe to cover closing costs. I don't owe much on it, certainly less than I can sell it for. Going to go with used kitchen stuff. I had plans to jack up and do a ton of work on the garage, but that's canceled. Propping it up , making it somewhat safe and that's that.

I think we'll be able to bounce back quickly. The air tools came back around. Air compressor is alive. Only real casualties seem to be the generator (which I didn't pay much for ), ryobi corded saw (couldn't cut straight anyway), corded drill , a few sawsalls and the titanium tig welder. I got the welder sitting in a big bag with desiccant packets to try to dry out.

All my ratchets, sockets, combo wrenches and other metal hand tools are sitting in a bucket of kerosene to try to help get the water out of everything. Got about 37 fans running moving air through.

But after all of this, being the 2nd time this has happened, we're focusing on just getting out of this house at a loss. I bought it on a very dry year without the flooding issues apparent.

We're just going to spend the bare minimum to get the bathroom finished and sell this place at a loss for a bit above what I owe to cover closing costs. I don't owe much on it, certainly less than I can sell it for. Going to go with used kitchen stuff. I had plans to jack up and do a ton of work on the garage, but that's canceled. Propping it up , making it somewhat safe and that's that.
Yeah, things come up with houses and they always need something, but that much water getting in means tons of work needs to be done to repair and prevent future issues. Like you need large drainage ditches and stuff in addition to fixing the damage.

Glad to hear you've been able to salvage some stuff.

If the problem was listed in the disclosures when you bought, or not, should be determined. The town should be contacted as to why the culvert is dumping water in your lot, and why a permit was issued to the south neighbor to raise their lot, damming you in. Nice for them but not for you. They should have to move the culvert and pay for your damages imo. The neighbor should not be allowed to dam you in. Losing tools is bad enough but these look replaceable at least.

My condolenses to your flooding situation. I have been through it seven times since 2005 and it sux.

If the problem was listed in the disclosures when you bought, or not, should be determined. The town should be contacted as to why the culvert is dumping water in your lot, and why a permit was issued to the south neighbor to raise their lot, damming you in. Nice for them but not for you. They should have to move the culvert and pay for your damages imo. The neighbor should not be allowed to dam you in. Losing tools is bad enough but these look replaceable at least.

The previous owners actually bought this house and pretty much all the other ones on the street to knock down and turn into condos. The economy took a nosedive 13 years ago and they rented it out. Unfortunately, because they didn't live in it there were no disclosures on any of it. I also had the most worthless home inspector and he missed things like this. I know know a lot more about homes than I'd like.

Very sorry for your headaches and expenses incurred.

It seems you are saying that a culvert installed on a public road is dumping water directly onto your property and that some 50 years ago a dam was allowed to be built directly south of your lot.

Have you developed a plan to resolve future floods? Is there a drain commissioner in your county that is responsible for managing this situation? Can you tap into the sewage drains? Regrade your property to develop a swale that dumps the water away from your property? Any legal remedies?

From what I've heard from one of the people who grew up here, the house next on the lot door to mine (south, built up) burnt down in 1987. In 1995 the new house went in and the property was raised a few feet.

My plan is to get some sort of connection to the storm sewer and then rent a ditch witch to run drain tile right to the back of the yard.

We don't know all of the details of your situation. You pay property taxes. Some screw ups occurred to create this problem. To me, it seems that you should contact your county drain commissioner and attempt to get them to provide a solution and/or foot some of the bill.

Miller88, Sorry to hear this, I know what you mean about being kicked when down.
Now we have a possible hurricane headed up the East coast (you should be inland enough and fine)
for Sunday overnight (arggh!) and Monday Impacts.
and instead of it going out to sea the usual 50 -100, miles, it is coming on land
and is expected to track right over my Log Cabin roof in So. NH.
Hopefully it will be a TD by then but,
never had that happen before. I am also surrounded closely by 50 foot King pines.
Hope all works out! We have all had extreme challenges over the past year and it can
get to you that's for sure. Meeting up with my old High School buddies - from a 1/2 Century ago -
usually cheers me up a bit.

- Be Well, Ken

Reactions: JC1
Miller88, Sorry to hear this, I know what you mean about being kicked when down.
Now we have a possible hurricane headed up the East coast (you should be inland enough and fine)
for Sunday overnight (arggh!) and Monday Impacts.
and instead of it going out to sea the usual 50 -100, miles, it is coming on land
and is expected to track right over my Log Cabin roof in So. NH.
Hopefully it will be a TD by then but,
never had that happen before. I am also surrounded closely by 50 foot King pines.
Hope all works out! We have all had extreme challenges over the past year and it can
get to you that's for sure. Meeting up with my old High School buddies - from a 1/2 Century ago -
usually cheers me up a bit.

- Be Well, Ken

Yea, I saw that hurricane coming up. I'm hoping it stays as far out as possible! We can't take much more rain here. From what I understand, in the span of 3 days we got more rain than we get on an entire august!

Wishing you well with the tropical depression if it hits!

We don't know all of the details of your situation. You pay property taxes. Some screw ups occurred to create this problem. To me, it seems that you should contact your county drain commissioner and attempt to get them to provide a solution and/or foot some of the bill.

I called the town highway superintendent - they handle drainage and hoping to hear back from them. The house next to me is in the middle of a renovation (it's a tiny house at best) and it flooded up an inch or so past the door. So they're rough too.

Miller... Very hard circumstance with your dad.

Make sure he takes his medication... On time too... That matters a lot.

Enjoy your time with him.

If you need anything... You let me know.

Yes when it rains it pours. Bad stuff seems to happen in multiples. Sorry for the bad stuff you have to go through.

I also had the most worthless home inspector and he missed things like this. I know know a lot more about homes than I'd like.

Yeah home inspections can miss a lot.

I feel like my inspector was good overall and did catch a lot of things, but he missed a big one with my master bathroom shower. It was a 1960s walk in "cave shower." The part of the crawlspace it's over is difficult to access and I guess he just didn't go back far enough to really see it. The second time I used the shower, when I got out I heard what sounded distinctly like water dripping on a duct. A plumber confirmed the pan had cracked and had been that way a while. It was months before I could get the shower replaced, and the joists had to be sistered and everything. It was a mess.

Good news! The welder, generator, and all power tools are working. Not sure how much longer of a life anything will have, though.

The garage slab is completely destroyed.

Yeah home inspections can miss a lot.

I feel like my inspector was good overall and did catch a lot of things, but he missed a big one with my master bathroom shower. It was a 1960s walk in "cave shower." The part of the crawlspace it's over is difficult to access and I guess he just didn't go back far enough to really see it. The second time I used the shower, when I got out I heard what sounded distinctly like water dripping on a duct. A plumber confirmed the pan had cracked and had been that way a while. It was months before I could get the shower replaced, and the joists had to be sistered and everything. It was a mess.

I'll be doing most of the home inspection the next time around but using an inspector for the formality of course.

The home inspector I used missed ...
  1. Bootleg Grounds
  2. Missing foundation under a load bearing wall (behind a porch)
  3. Completely rotten wall and floor in bathroom
  4. Flooding issues
  5. Every.Single.Floor joist being rotten

That’s why I always doubt what a home inspector says.

Hopefully things for you return to normal soon.

It looks like my Subaru will be going to Carvana soon ... They are offering me a price I consider to be pretty reasonable for it. That's money that will go directly to saving up for a different house.

Hello cheap crown victoria!

Some realtors use their own inspectors. Probably better to choose your own. The realtors can and do pressure inspectors to maybe overlook a little. The big water defects there the owner knew, they just didn’t disclose. When selling also disclose everything no matter the consequences. There are sue happy people out there too. As is is not permission for not disclosing what the seller knows. People think it means that, but as is means as it is, with the disclosures.

Some realtors use their own inspectors. Probably better to choose your own. The realtors can and do pressure inspectors to maybe overlook a little. The big water defects there the owner knew, they just didn’t disclose. When selling also disclose everything no matter the consequences. There are sue happy people out there too. As is is not permission for not disclosing what the seller knows. People think it means that, but as is means as it is, with the disclosures.
I'm a realtor and people always seem to think this. I always recommend the inspector I use for my own properties. We're also in it for repeat business so it doesn't help to recommend a bad inspector. I've had people who I've sold homes coming back to me after 10 years. I wouldn't get that after 10 years. And I don't really care if the inspector finds all the problems. We just renegotiate the price afterwards. The more problems, the lower the price. It's just based on full disclosure. You get in less trouble that way and way more profitable. If the house is bad, you just move on to the next property. We're not really here to force a sale, you typically show anywhere from 10-30 houses or more per sale. Just another showing if the deals falls apart and it's also a learning experience for the buyer too when they walk away.

Back