Just got 2016 jetta, 1.8tfsi, 1,200mi oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok all, just curious if theres any merit to doing an oil change in my brand new 2016 jetta 1.8 tfsi (EA888 gen 3). Ive had it for about 1200 miles now and Im tempted to do a change just to get the bits from initial break in out of the system and such, but wondering if that's pointless. Plus, I like to turn a wrench anyway.

Also, any recommendations on oil for this? i had a big allegiance to Liqui Moly Leichtlauf Hi tech 5w40 in my 4.2 audi s4 so thats naturally my first choice. Any of you with this particular engine/car combo? Thanks
cheers3.gif

Do what you feel is best for you. This topic comes up often, and there are people who will tell you it is a complete waste, others will tell you its a good idea. Often the debate gets heated. I'm from the dump it early I don't want that [censored] in my oil camp.
27.gif

If LM oil meets the spec for your engine and you like the product, use it.

Merry Christmas.

Did the first O/C on my malibu about 4.1k. There was a lot of break in metals in the oil. I filled it with some PP 0W20 and a fram XG.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of changing the oil early. However, there's no conclusive evidence that it helps extend the life of an engine. There are many people who don't do an early oil change and their vehicle last just as long.

I did an oil change at ~1000 miles. The oil that came out didn't look super bad, so I felt like it was a bit wasteful. The filter had a ton of metal debris in it. I felt better overall, but had a problem with leaks (Toyota cartridge, had to buy new filter cap).

Do what you feel is best. Really, there isn't a bunch of data to prove otherwise; just a bunch of stories from BITOG.

If your VW is like mine, the owners manual states an oil and filter change of 10,000 miles regardless of operating conditions. I bought my VW new and changed the oil a lot easier than required. I'd use Castrol 0W40. It's a true PAO synthetic and made in Germany. It can be obtained in many Wal-Marts in a 5 quart jug. Use Mann or VW OEM oil filters.

I'm in the change it early camp, and 1200 mi seems about right to me. It's only one extra oil change over the life of the car, I'd rather the metal out, than the FF in.

LM is a good brand, Castrol Edge 0W-40 is another good choice.

I would do it at 5k miles since that is what Audi specifies for the same engine. Then at 10k you can do your first free service. That should get most of the metals out.

You could maybe do that again at 15k and 20k. Then your free maintenence will be over and you can extend it out to 10k intervals.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Congrats on the new ride.

This most of all! If you feel there will be a benefit, change early...I agree with this, but there has been no hard evidence either way. My thought is that it is designed to run with clean oil.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

Merry Xmas!

To everyone!

I have always changed FF early.
I used to change it at 1K then I went to 1.5K then to 2K.
On my new Escape I plan on going to 3K but it may be earlier as I plan on driving it to Florida in February and it might not have 3K by then.

The reason I keep gradually inching up is that machining techniques and motor oils have improved much.

When I drained out the FF in my 2014 Focus at 1900 miles it still looked new.

IMO.....1200 is a bit to early. I would extend it to 3000+/- for your first OCI.....and it should be fine. The filter should easily get most of the metals out by then.

0il: M-1 0w40....a top shelf oil thats highly recommended by many BITOG'er.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Do what you feel is best for you. This topic comes up often, and there are people who will tell you it is a complete waste, others will tell you its a good idea. Often the debate gets heated. I'm from the dump it early I don't want that [censored] in my oil camp.
27.gif

Merry Christmas.

I agree with Demarpaint, whatever you decide to do is good.

I am in the camp that do normal OCI with factory fill for all my cars. The Lexus LS400 had full OCI with factory fill and after 380k miles the engine didn't needed any work under the valve cover. The MB E430 is more than 170k miles and engine is running great with first OCI at 13+k miles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
27.gif

Merry Christmas.

I agree with Demarpaint, whatever you decide to do is good.

I am in the camp that do normal OCI with factory fill for all my cars. The Lexus LS400 had full OCI with factory fill and after 380k miles the engine didn't needed any work under the valve cover. The MB E430 is more than 170k miles and engine is running great with first OCI at 13+k miles.

Does the Sc300 with the 2jZGE engine have the the same engine as the V6 Ls400s? IT could be you had a beast engine but your point still stands. I know I had a 5k virgin oil OCI and when that V6 V6 was totaled at close to 150k, did not need any engine or valve work and was still running on original spark plugs and turning out good gas mileage on it!

I'd do it now. Can't hurt a thing. Not a waste as long as it's recycled. Allows you to get under, over, and around the engine bay to look at stuff and get familiar with the systems.

Pick a good oil. Pick a premium filter. Have fun and be happy - Merry Christmas and enjoy the new ride
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
Does the Sc300 with the 2jZGE engine have the the same engine as the V6 LS400s? IT could be you had a beast engine but your point still stands. I know I had a 5k virgin oil OCI and when that V6 was totaled at close to 150k, did not need any engine or valve work and was still running on original spark plugs and turning out good gas mileage on it!

The LS400 has 4L V8 1UZ-FE engine, the SC300 has 3L 6-cyl engine, The SC400 has the same engine as LS400.

The Lexus 1UZ-FE engine is indestructible. The OCI with dino was/is 6mo/7-9k miles and 12mo/15-20k miles with synthetic, either case 1 oil filter a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back