PCV Valve Question - VW

I have a 2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI (3rd gen EA888 DI engine) at 108k miles, no current oil leaks / PCV issues / codes - just the expected topping off of oil every now and then due to some burning. I've read a lot into the PCV issues on these cars - how they often fail at lower miles than me and can blow the rear main seal, and not to rule out swapping it out at some point as preventative maintenance.

I had a long discussion with the parts guy at the dealer - he seemed to know his stuff and highly recommended against changing it in my case as it could soon then cause seals to blow like at the timing cover or front/rear main as they'll be under more crankcase pressure once a new PCV is in place? And with the Genuine OEM part now costing at least $200, perhaps it's better to wait until it fails - could be years out as I only drive 10k miles/year. What do you think about this and what he said?

That doesn't make sense to me. The whole point of the PCV valve is that it opens to relieve crankcase pressure. If yours is stuck closed, you'd want to replace it. If it's stuck open it will cause different issues and you'll want to replace it. Maybe he's seen bad things happen when a functioning OEM PCV valve is replaced with an aftermarket one.

I would remove it and test it. I'd consider giving it a good clean with brake cleaner or other solvent, even if it tests good. $200 for a new PCV valve is really pricey.

That parts guy is ignorant.

I once owned a VW GTI and currently own an Audi A4 Quattro with a similar PCV valve. I blew the PCV on the VW away from home and luckily, it didn't blow the rear main seal. You can shop OEM and Euro brand aftermarket VAG parts on ECS Tuning. I'd go OEM.

Replacing it is very easy.

That doesn't make sense to me. The whole point of the PCV valve is that it opens to relieve crankcase pressure. If yours is stuck closed, you'd want to replace it. If it's stuck open it will cause different issues and you'll want to replace it.
My thoughts exactly. Why would installing a new OEM part cause problems?

Yeah the cheapest price I could find on the Genuine OEM part is $200 - quite a lot for a preventative maintenance item that's functioning fine right now. Tough call; wonder how many of these make it to 150k-200k, when I might not even have the car anymore.

The pcv system on this engine is designed to also regulate crankcase pressure. When they go bad it causes full engine vacuum to be pulled in the crankcase, which is what separates the rear main seal. 100% a good idea to replace preventatively.

The PCV replacement went well for the most part, but one of my coil ground wires is loose at its ring terminal. Looks like I'll do a new ring terminal - any idea what gauge these ground wires are? And the stud size? Couldn't find the info online, but my guess was the blue terminal (not red or yellow).

Parts counter guy was probably using the automated condiment dispenser at Mickey D's a week ago. Friend of mine has a kid that just started at autozone. This kid spends all his time playing online games and couldn't tell you what type of blinker fluid to use if asked. I change them out on the DI gas VW's at 50k miles. I have used both OE and aftermarket and can't really tell much difference in build quality.

I had a long discussion with the parts guy at the dealer - he seemed to know his stuff and highly recommended against changing it in my case as it could soon then cause seals to blow like at the timing cover or front/rear main as they'll be under more crankcase pressure once a new PCV is in place? And with the Genuine OEM part now costing at least $200, perhaps it's better to wait until it fails - could be years out as I only drive 10k miles/year. What do you think about this and what he said?

I guess some people are good at making themselves sound like they know what they're talking about while simultaneously talking total nonsense.
A bad PCV will cause excessive crankcase pressure which will start leaks. Man what a tool that guy is.

Back