8000 Miles Overdue for an Oil Change: Plan of Attack?

I think I will skip the LM snake oil and just do two oil changes.

Looks like in Europe -- the interval is 25,000KM/1-yr, which is 15,625 miles. I guess he isn't as overdue as I thought.

View attachment 158652

(Manual is for a 204 chassis but that platform also has the 276 engine.)
Is he driving with the Service engine light on? MBs will drive you crazy with warnings when you go over the maintenance indicators. If he is doing mostly highway driving, the maintenance minder may not go on until 15k or so.

Is he driving with the Service engine light on? MBs will drive you crazy with warnings when you go over the maintenance indicators. If he is doing mostly highway driving, the maintenance minder may not go on until 15k or so.
Just the maintenance reminder that appears at start-up.
Service interval in the US is fixed at 1-year or 10K, whichever comes first. US vehicles do not have a flexible interval.

Vehicle: 2016 MB E350, M276 GDI, ~195K miles.
Oil used: Mobil 1 0W40, Mann Oil Filter
Length of Interval: 11 months and ~18,000 miles. OEM service interval is 10K

Prior to this, all oil services have been performed with a 229.5 approved oil at 10-14K mile intervals.

My plan is to:

Replace Engine oil and filter with Mobil 1 0W40 and new filter.
Add two 500ML bottles of Liqui Moly Pro-Line Engine Flush. Idle engine for 20 minutes.
Perform another oil and filter change, this time with HPL Euro 5W40. Hopefully he comes back in 10K, but he probably won't.

Any better ideas?
I would not do anything beyond a normal oil change. Mobil 1 is excellent and can handle the extended OCI.

Look at worst case, the flush additive causes something unexpected and damages the engine. You are now responsible.

Obviously the guy is not too regular of a customer else he would come in on normal service intervals.

Please send out the oil for a UOA however.

UOA came back:

It could based on TBN, fuel, etc. but ok...so what? Does that change anything? 18K is too long, period. Scold him/go to time out and keep it at/under 10K. $35 for the analysis - I'd use the engine flush to make sure things are nice and drained out from the long OCI.

Well, that was rushed supposition that did not hold true:

Well, that was rushed supposition that did not hold true:

Still think 18K is too long🤷‍♂️

If you're really ridden with guilt, and can't sleep at night, change the oil and then change it again after 5,000 miles. Otherwise, it ain't broke

Back