Just Changed to Super Tech Advanced, Now Have Noisy Startup

Try a 5/10w30 next time and see if it helps. Or change it out and go back to PP or QSFS for cost savings. If you change it I'd put some Gumout Multi-System Tune Up/ Seafoam/MMO in it for a few miles and see if it clears up what maybe sticking first.

I’m willing to bet that 99% of the people who “think” they hear a difference in oils of the same grade would be completely clueless to the change if one was to change that person’s oil to the “noisy” brand without the driver knowing.

To paraphrase, “the confirmation bias force is strong in that one.”

Switch to 5w/30. That is all I use in both Pentastars in my family - 2014 Grand Cherokee and 2020 Gladiator.

My buddy and I decided to go on a road trip to the Catskills in the late 70's. about 35 miles in, My Audi 100LS engine started making noise. I was worried. My buddy just cranked up the radio and said, "There; problem solved!" As we crested the hill on Route 2 West at 65 mph there was suddenly a loud bang and smoke and steam pouring over the windshield and around the car; could not see ahead. Carefully drove to the right onto the shoulder but glanced the guardrail in the process. We got out of the car looked under the hood. There in plain sight was a gaping hole in the side of the block; apparently the engine snapped two rods! The sweet hitchhiker we picked up five mins earlier wasn't amused and hitched a ride with a trucker passing by. We hoofed it to the next exit and a pay phone.
That problem seems to be a reoccurring phenomenon in your life.. you should be a tester for CR....
How sweet was the hitchhiker?

I’m willing to bet that 99% of the people who “think” they hear a difference in oils of the same grade would be completely clueless to the change if one was to change that person’s oil to the “noisy” brand without the driver knowing.

To paraphrase, “the confirmation bias force is strong in that one.”
100%...you hear it b/c you want to.

7nfaw3.jpg

Some are deaf. Some are drones. Others hear everything. Hearing isn't a placebo .. its a sense

My engine is quieter when HTHS is 4.0
3.1 HTHS is just too noisy.

My engine is also silent when I turn up the volume on the radio. So, the radio is used often. Every time I shut it off, it costs me major repair money.

Yet wife's 2019 Charger SXT 3.6 is quiet as church mouse on Super Tech Full Syn 0W20 start up and running. FRAM XG11665 filter. Penn Platinum / QS 5W20 used previously were all the same quiet.

It's real. My Honda is noticeably more clattery on Mobil 1 than on Pennzoil for whatever reason.
Yep. I used Mobil 1 in my 2017 Canyon V6 since new and it always had a noisy startup. I attributed to the cam phasers taking a second to get pumped up with oil. When I switched to Castrol Magnatec Synthetic (the old formula) it was dead quiet on startup. After Castrol Magnatec I went with Havoline Pro DS and it remains quiet on startup. I know Mobil 1 is a great product but I am no longer a skeptic regarding some oils being quieter than others.

The sound thing....has someone just done some sound recording on this to show it's real? Seems like an easy one to do. I've certainly read over the years of folks saying M1 causes a noisier engine...why would that be? I'm not saying it can't be (I'm still trying to understand the mechanism though) but I just think that at this point has someone just done some data collection to show it?

The sound thing....has someone just done some sound recording on this to show it's real? Seems like an easy one to do. I've certainly read over the years of folks saying M1 causes a noisier engine...why would that be? I'm not saying it can't be (I'm still trying to understand the mechanism though) but I just think that at this point has someone just done some data collection to show it?
I was an avid M1 user since 1976. I noticed the noise problem with M1 around 2010 when Mobile, apparently, made a formulation change. I haven't used M1 since. This observation was with my well calibrated ears! ;)

It's known that boron content deadens sound in an engine, so that itself may be the culprit.

Like others have said too, it's a real thing. I know the popular thing on BITOG is to shout "BS" on anything that doesn't have a spreadsheet to go along with it, but it's been documented here for many years and I would bet money on it if we could actually somehow get a lab test going that would show it.

It's known that boron content deadens sound in an engine, so that itself may be the culprit.

Like others have said too, it's a real thing. I know the popular thing on BITOG is to shout "BS" on anything that doesn't have a spreadsheet to go along with it, but it's been documented here for many years and I would bet money on it if we could actually somehow get a lab test going that would show it.
The BS thing comes from so many other issues that are often touted that are v. subjective/no data is really all, I fall in that camp almost always but here, ok, believeable...I just can't believe someone has done some basic recording to show it is all.

Back