Just bought a 2011 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
40.73 MPG on the highway but at what speed ?

That was on a trip from Virginia back to North Carolina. Cruise was set at 65 MPH. It was hard to believe, but that's what the calculation showed. We drove 323.4 miles on 7.94 gallons. I thought that maybe we didn't quite fill it up all the way (maybe it should have taken more than 7.94 gallons), but if that was the case, then the NEXT tank (in-town miles, back at home) should have showed a much LOWER than normal MPG. But it didn't. It was 330 miles on 12.58 gallons = 26.23 MPG, which is bang-on for my driving around town.

21.gif

For Christmas, I hope to get a ScanGauge II, so I'll be able to better track instant MPG and see what different driving styles delivers in this car.

I personally find it much easier to back up than some other of its class competitors that I've driven. As for side blind spots, I think all cars have them; a set of small convex mirrors will give you full view of the lane beside you.

Bottom line: I'm sure it does, but I don't find it worse than some of the others in this class (and better than some).

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Keep us informed on how you like it and what MPG you are getting.

Bill, I said I would, so here 'tis.

Still love the car. As I remarked back on page ONE of this thread, I wasn't happy with the seat angle. Or the seat height really. It has a seat height adjuster, but that raises the BACK of the seat about twice what it raises the FRONT of the seat. So as it raises up, it also angles you forward. Not good. So I put 5/8" spacers under each seat mounting pad on the floor, along with longer bolts. This is common in the Jeep world, so I figured it was safe to do. It's much more comfortable to me now.

I recently bought a set of used WeatherTech front mats, and they came just in time for the 8" of snow that we got a few weeks ago. North Carolina is rarely punished with that much snow, and the mats were mightly appreciated.

Mileage continues to be excellent. My lifetime average for it with 8,756 miles on the odometer (at the time of last fill-up) is 28.96 MPG (302.25 gallons used).

Operation continues to be flawless. It will go to the dealer in another month or so for the 10,000 mile free service. They mistakenly changed the oil at the 5,000 mile free service (they should have waited until 10,000 miles), so if they don't change it this time, I'll go ahead and change it myself with some Mobil 1 0W-20 I have on the shelf. Though Toyota calls for 10,000 mile OCIs, I'll probably wimp out and do 5,000 mile OCIs. It doesn't use a drop of oil on the dipstick, and I haven't had to top-up yet.

It rides best on 34 PSI in the front and 32 PSI in the rear. I haven't figured out the recommended PSI on these Camrys. Some 6th gen Camrys recommend 30/30. Some recommend 32/32. Some recommend 34/34. And it doesn't seem to matter what trim it is or what OEM tires came with it. 34/32 seems to be the sweet spot for mine. Based on tire wear so far, I should be able to get an easy 40-50k miles out of them.

110% pleased so far. Hope it stays this way.

Like the color a lot. Have a dirty black one in the driveway with 1200 miles on it. That's what my wife wanted. It's very sharp when clean but what a pain. I'm going with 2 oc's per year and I'm the only guy who puts a wrench on the oil plug.

Thanks. The Sandy Beach looks pretty dull after a week's driving in the salt or rain, but when clean, it really pops in the sun. What oil are you going to use in yours, and have you changed it yet?

Originally Posted By: D189379
Lol what's with all the "sexy" Camry talk?

Last I heard, using the words "sexy" and "Camry" in the same sentence were being considered as potential criminal acts by the Federal Trade Commision...

lol.gif

It's how us dull Camry owners spice up our lives.

I will probably use Toy oil and filter due to the fact that I have a Toyota credit card and earn cash back. That's what I always use to buy things at the dealer instead of cash.

At least we aren't talking about sexy Crown Vics...

10,000 mile update:

Had the car in for its 2nd free service this weekend. They changed the oil and filter and rotated the tires. My local dealer's bulk fill has changed from the Toyota/XOM 0W-20 to Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20. I must say, although initially skeptical, the engine is super-quiet on this oil. It's so clear, almost colorless, that it's hard to read the dipstick. It'll be interesting to see how long it stays so clear as it wears in some. I'll keep an eye out for this oil at the retail level. So far in the Camry, I REALLY like it.

The dealer also applied TSB 0287-10 to revise the ECM/TCM calibration for shifting smoothness. It made a nice change. More on that in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back