JT20's Subaru

So, OP, did you do this? Or at least set up the account on the Subaru forum to ask folks there? Are you being proactive about this?

While I doubt an old Subaru ecu will sell this weekend, it will sell at some point. So if it can be reprogrammed, and it’s available at a good price, and folks think it might help, you need to work up your plan...
e-mail.JPG

Nice job! Probably still worth setting up the account on the Subaru forum to get info and leads on who they trust to do coding work.

I imagine I should now make an account on NASIOC and ask pretty much the same question..

The car is outside the shop presently, not due to anything mechanical, but, I did get a new trans filter (this car it's external) seems only right to be on there after the new shift solenoid.. And, as stated, he's going to change the fogs and bang out a dent because although those things *shouldn't* matter, I believe they do. Like if you showed up to a job interview at somewhere like MSG with BO.

I imagine I should now make an account on NASIOC and ask pretty much the same question..

The car is outside the shop presently, not due to anything mechanical, but, I did get a new trans filter (this car it's external) seems only right to be on there after the new shift solenoid.. And, as stated, he's going to change the fogs and bang out a dent because although those things *shouldn't* matter, I believe they do. Like if you showed up to a job interview at somewhere like MSG with BO.
Thought you showed pics of a roki AT filter a while back... it didn’t get installed last time at the shop? I think that’s something you can DIY, but since it’s there, makes sense for them to do it while up on a lift.

My Fumoto valve came.

I got the N model not because I think I'll ever put a line on it.. but, because it looks like it will direct the oil one specific way.

Thought you showed pics of a roki AT filter a while back... it didn’t get installed last time at the shop? I think that’s something you can DIY, but since it’s there, makes sense for them to do it while up on a lift.

Yes, I even located my filter tool (curved grip pliers for external filters, much like tongs but specifically for a filter can) and it is in my Hart mega toolbox from Christmas.

But I'm sure I'd still make a mess.

They put it on while it was up on their lift today.

The car still running like a champ.

It's slow.

But its still running very well.

Today we had..
- Fog lights (smashed to new)
- Tow Hook Cover (for cosmetic match. No missing piece.. makes car look junky, gives you that "brand/stereotype". Not needed so.. tow hook cover ON.)
- Dent, passenger side rear, banged out from inside. Same reason as above.
- New "clip" for hanging passenger side door moulding/trim as per "Random pictures" thread.

Let's see.. Fogs, dent, tow hook cover, change AT filter, trim clip.. yes. I pick it up tomorrow.

$100.

Stay tuned in the A.M., I'll take a few good shots of the various things "not quite right" were fixed up. Still not 100% but it doesn't look like a beat-up car now (off topic but ill say this and then go to sleep.. "Why worry about how the car looks?" .. your car says a lot about you. Just like going to a job interview with body odor and a scruffy beard.)

It's better to have a car that is in comparable condition to pretty much all the other cars on the road.

I had a whole paragraph elaborating but i'll just leave that there. Time to go to sleep.

It's not quite ready for prime time yet but it looks better than it did.

I will tell the guy, "Please do/get the clips and the tow hook cover, please." (Note t he Styrofoam visible on the front.)

Here is what we got so far. Gonna have to drive it if I have ANY hope of getting that oil filter off, it should come off easier when the engine is hot. (It is on there drum tight.)

Let me see if I can find a pic of how it looked previous, that would be the pic or two at the bottom. I think it looks better. We are not aiming for perfect. Just better than it was, and not all-around crappy, there is a certain stigma about cars that are borderline or just outright "dents everywhere," I keep using the example about the man or woman that walks into somewhere with extreme B.O., it speaks for them and we could go off into the wilderness about why that matters but for me, it matters. As it should and does for most but this is a separate conversation, so, here are the "before" pics at the bottom.

20210126_073657.jpg
20210126_073704.jpg
20210126_073708.jpg
20210126_073715.jpg
20210126_073724.jpg
20210126_073853.jpg
20210126_073859.jpg
20210126_073906.jpg
20210126_073926.jpg
20210115_145704.jpg

Quarter dents are a nightmare, I think that's as good as it gets without throwing big money at it. Once the trim is back in place, it'll be presentable.

Careful, I have owned 3 Subaru's of that vintage and it's a slippery slope of fixing stuff on them. Seemed once mine got to that age they required me to fix something constantly. CV axles, Catalytic converters, one had a throw out bearing go out, rear end bearings go bad, one blew a rear diff around 120K, window motors, LOTS of oil leaks, head gaskets (all 3), O2 sensors, frozen brake calipers... Pretty much anything that could go wrong went wrong with my Subaru's. You thought you had fixed everything then something else would let go.

It was kinda funny. I'd take a break from them for a bit and get the itch for another one as they are awesome in winter. I'd have the new one for a year and remember why I got rid of the last after spending all my free weekends fixing stuff and end up selling it. Luckily people eat up Subaru's in the north so it was easy to sell them.

I wouldn't put too much money into it. I did like how capable they were and simple to work on, but man they were money pits once over 100K miles.

Back