2022 Subaru BRZ / Toyota GR86 - The ultimate affordable driving machine!

2nd gear would be my guess, but that would mean a tall 2nd gear and less fun. I remember looking at my tach while driving my previous ‘07 Civic SI thinking, “jesus, come on, VTEC!!! Let’s goooooo!” That thing took forever to rev out in 3rd gear if you hadn’t shifted from 2nd at red-line. This occurred mostly while in traffic, where you’re mostly in 2nd gear, then it opens up, just as you’re shifting to 3rd at, say 4K RPM.

Apples to oranges compared to the BRZ, I know, but you get the point. Gearing and lack of power were two things that killed that car for me. The 5.5K kick-in of VTEC was also a joke. It SOUNDED cooler, but I could not perceive any change in acceleration. Well, maybe in 1st or 2nd gear.

Agree 100%. Another example of how chasing arbitrary metrics can ruin the overall experience.

Hopefully second runs up to no more than 54mph as that would give third a much more relevant range.

At least it's not GT4 bad where first goes to 84kph and second goes to 137kph....

Thankfully the majority disagrees with you.

PS. Internals don't magically become stronger by adding a turbo, they have to be built and nothing comes for free.

FI will never have the throttle response and linearity a NA does.
Why are they building a turbo, obviously someone wants it. I though the internals magically forged and nitrided themselves for the turbo boost and pixi dust turned into coatings for the HG.
What are you talking about FI will never have the throttle response and linearity of a NA engine? This non turbo engine has FI. I bet you have never driven a twin scroll turbo or an e boost turbo.

Why are they building a turbo, obviously someone wants it. I though the internals magically forged and nitrided themselves for the turbo boost and pixi dust turned into coatings for the HG.
What are you talking about FI will never have the throttle response and linearity of a NA engine? This non turbo engine has FI. I bet you have never driven a twin scroll turbo or an e boost turbo.

Doesn’t the OP have (or did have) a WRX?

I’ve got a twin-scroll in my FXT and love it. The turbo response (very little lag) and CVT behavior (acts like a true CVT, without ANY fake shifts) are what made me cry a little less when I traded-in my ‘08 STI.

FI = forced induction. By definition a non-turbo engine is not forced induction.

I drive an FA20DIT WRX which is twin scroll. I still prefer my ND2.

They mainly build engines with turbos because of CAFE. That's no knock against turbos and they are amazing. But they come with their own downsides.

Sounds like the 400Z is what you're looking for.

FI = forced induction. By definition a non-turbo engine is not forced induction.

I drive an FA20DIT WRX which is twin scroll. I still prefer my ND2.

They mainly build engines with turbos because of CAFE. That's no knock against turbos and they are amazing. But they come with their own downsides.

Sounds like the 400Z is what you're looking for.
Sorry I thought you were getting into FI for a minute when you PS me if I knew forged internal were not free. LOL
I don't need the 400Z or any other car. I am struggling to decide which ones to get rid of, I need room for another project.
I built a twin charged engine (similar to the Volvo Polestar system) some years ago that was perfectly linear from off idle to redline.

You are dead wrong I would gladly pay more for the turbo version in a car like this not so much in an Outback.
I don't need the 400Z or any other car.

No offence, but this is why Toyota and Subaru don't listen to people like you because you're not an actual buyer. Just like all the people who knock the Corvette C8 for not having a manual wouldn't buy one even if it did.

In its current form, the BRZ/86 is not so impractical that it can't be a daily driver, and not cost prohibitive that someone couldn't afford it as a fun/secondary vehicle. Toyota and Subaru are really smart because this lets them appeal to the widest possible audience.

The ones like you represent a fraction of the market and it makes no sense to cater to you. Buy a Supra/Z4 or 718 instead. Those have turbos.

There's only so much fun you can have with a race car (GT3) unless you have constant access to a track and possess the ability to drive something like it at 10/10 (not to mention the massive disposable income/funds to finance it all and take on the risk in doing so). Like I said before, it's why the Miata is the best selling sports car in history: because when it comes to actual fun/dollar, nothing comes close.

Last edited:
Just for perspective, a Corvette C5, which was a performance champ not too long ago (in fact, still is one today) gets to 60mph in 5.1s, stops in 125ft from 0-60, and put down .88g to .96g on the skidpad.

The BRZ/GR86 goes 0-60 in 6.1s, will probably stop in the same or better distance from the 2021 model (109ft), and will probably put down .98g or better (similar to the tS from last gen).

Granted the tire technology has a lot to do with it, but still... gets better fuel economy, is safer overall, has better tech, can seat 2 extra people in a pinch, and is most likely more reliable and cheaper to maintain? And all that for sub $30K brand new in today's worthless dollars?

To me that's amazing.

Again you make assumptions, I wont buy one now but next month or next year I may change my mind and buy something once some of these are gone. I have bought a few new cars in the last 10 years so what if I don't buy today.
You still didn't answer the question as to why they are now going to build the turbo. Please stop saying people like you, you don't know me, what i do or don't do, what I buy or don't buy or when I buy it.

Again you make assumptions, I wont buy one now but next month or next year I may change my mind and buy something once some of these are gone. I have bought a few new cars in the last 10 years so what if I don't buy today.
You still didn't answer the question as to why they are now going to build the turbo. Please stop saying people like you, you don't know me, what i do or don't do, what I buy or don't buy or when I buy it.

No assumptions, just going off your posts. You can cut the pretend-offended/morally superior attitude though.

They're coming out with a turbo GR86? That's news to me.

If you bothered to read my post. BTW you can cut the attitude also, whats the matter you cant take it or what just dish it out. Yes you are offensive. LOL
Oh wait they don't cater to people like me or these others either.

If you bothered to read my post. BTW you can cut the attitude also, whats the matter you cant take it or what just dish it out. Yes you are offensive. LOL
Oh wait they don't cater to people like me or these others either.

Legit question, did you bother to read the article and check the date on it, or did you just hunt headlines in an attempt to win an argument?

Trav, they aren't building a turbo. That article you linked to was just speculation. Now somewhere down the road they may decide to build a turbo STI version but they have not announced it and in fact have said they won't.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a34713222/why-2022-subaru-brz-isnt-turbo-fa24-tech/

I don't know first they say they say..

A new powerplant is the headline news. After years of pleading from the public, Toyota and Subaru are finally giving the GR86 a turbocharger.
It sure seems like someone wants it.
Although it hasn't been confirmed yet, we expect both to offer a manual gearbox as well as an automatic.

What isn't confirmed yet the cars engine or the gearbox choice.

Then there is this, okay summer 2021 didn't happen for obvious reasons and maybe 2022 wont either for the same reason but it seems almost a certainty that it will happen.

Leaked details purportedly from a dealer conference give us some important details about the next 'GR86'

I am seriously consicering the BRZ. The FA20 engine was judged by Wards as one of the 10 best three times since 2013. You know its a solid engine bc it was made to turbo. In its unturboed state it puts our 205 HP.

Back