2022 Subaru BRZ / Toyota GR86 - The ultimate affordable driving machine!

I don't know first they say they say..

It sure seems like someone wants it.

What isn't confirmed yet the cars engine or the gearbox choice.

Then there is this, okay summer 2021 didn't happen for obvious reasons and maybe 2022 wont either for the same reason but it seems almost a certainty that it will happen.

The article is a year old. They‘re purely speculating, just like their 400HP STI guess.

I‘m also 90% sure that I read somewhere that the FA20 D-4S was NOT designed to be turbo’d due to its layout.

Sadly, the new 86 will never be what we REALLY want:

Attachments

• B7B98C65-7D17-4FFB-832F-5246216AE49A.jpg
    B7B98C65-7D17-4FFB-832F-5246216AE49A.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 12
I don't know first they say they say..

It sure seems like someone wants it.

What isn't confirmed yet the cars engine or the gearbox choice.

Then there is this, okay summer 2021 didn't happen for obvious reasons and maybe 2022 wont either for the same reason but it seems almost a certainty that it will happen.

Lmao. Pulling 1 year old+ articles and saying "they never said they won't build it". That's some grade A backtracking and goal post moving.

How embarrassing for you.

Official Toyota press release:

"The 2.4L naturally aspirated, horizontally opposed four-cylinder boxer engine, brings the power upgrade – increasing from 205 to 228hp and from 156 to 184 lb.-ft. of torque on the manual version".

It wouldn't make sense adding even more power as then it would eat into Supra sales. We can argue in what-ifs and hypotheticals but maybe you should take a step back for a second.

I am seriously consicering the BRZ. The FA20 engine was judged by Wards as one of the 10 best three times since 2013. You know its a solid engine bc it was made to turbo. In its unturboed state it puts our 205 HP.

To my knowledge, FA20 =/= FA20DIT. I don't think it's just a matter of one is turbo the other is not. There are even differences between the FA20DIT used in a Forester XT and WRX if I recall correctly.

Lmao. Pulling 1 year old+ articles and saying "they never said they won't build it". That's some grade A backtracking and goal post moving.

How embarrassing for you.

Official Toyota press release:

"The 2.4L naturally aspirated, horizontally opposed four-cylinder boxer engine, brings the power upgrade – increasing from 205 to 228hp and from 156 to 184 lb.-ft. of torque on the manual version".

It wouldn't make sense adding even more power as then it would eat into Supra sales. We can argue in what-ifs and hypotheticals but maybe you should take a step back for a second.
Not embarrassing for me at all, you posted to an article the same age. Bottom line is the info leaks and these car sites pick it up and run with it, sometimes wrongly sometimes right. Why the link to Toyota Canada? Where is the press release from Toyota USA?
You get too exited so back up a little and pick your fights with a little more care and about something more meaningful not because someone else doesn't like what you think is great although it easily could be.

Not embarrassing for me at all, you posted to an article the same age. Bottom line is the info leaks and these car sites pick it up and run with it, sometimes wrongly sometimes right. Why the link to Toyota Canada? Where is the press release from Toyota USA?
You get too exited so back up a little and pick your fights with a little more care and about something more meaningful not because someone else doesn't like what you think is great although it easily could be.

LOL. Please, by all means show me which article I posted is from early 2020 likes yours.

Who cares if it's Toyota Canada? Here's Toyota USA:

It's the same announcement... do we need to go through every Toyota global website?

Mistakes happen to the best of us and when they do there's much more respect in taking it like a man and admitting you were wrong. Not backtracking like a weasel and casting shade on the other side with lies. Next time check your own facts before accusing the other party of not even reading them.

It would be so much better with a turbo and leave the anemic wheezing non turbo for the geriatric crowd. Oh wait...

You still didn't answer the question as to why they are now going to build the turbo.
Why are they building a turbo, obviously someone wants it.
If you bothered to read my post. BTW you can cut the attitude also, whats the matter you cant take it or what just dish it out. Yes you are offensive. LOL
Oh wait they don't cater to people like me or these others either.

This is Internet forums in a nutshell; where people just work search engines to generate the material they need to win arguments, even though they actually have no idea what they're really talking about.

This, Camaro v8, or 400z. I got about a year to decide. By then my Kia should be paid off. 😌

You have to consider that those cars are at least $10-15K more expensive. Are the differences between them worth that initial cost, not to mention total cost of ownership (that v8 will guzzle in comparison)?

4 banger boxer vs twin turbo v6 vs v8. The Camaro has about 1,000 extra lbs while the 400z has about 3-400 extra lbs. I'm sure both will out accelerate it either way.

Personally speaking, with "race-y" driving becoming ever more punishable not to mention dangerous, cars like the GR86/BRZ and ND2 Miata make a lot of sense to me... because most of their joy is found in their driving dynamics and not downright power (even though both can move).

You have to consider that those cars are at least $10-15K more expensive. Are the differences between them worth that initial cost, not to mention total cost of ownership (that v8 will guzzle in comparison)?

4 banger boxer vs twin turbo v6 vs v8. The Camaro has about 1,000 extra lbs while the 400z has about 3-400 extra lbs. I'm sure both will out accelerate it either way.

Personally speaking, with "race-y" driving becoming ever more punishable not to mention dangerous, cars like the GR86/BRZ and ND2 Miata make a lot of sense to me... because most of their joy is found in their driving dynamics and not downright power (even though both can move).
Camaro LT1 with just one option, (tech pkg) $36890 msrp and 3619lbs. Assuming we can all build cars again GM will have more discounts than nissan or toyoburu. Before any shortage issues the cheapest LT1 manuals were 28-29k and many examples on the low 30s. They may not be that far apart. Maybe camaro trades for 10% off and the toyoburu cars get 1k off. Nissan, no clue on its sticker price and likely wont budge a cent. If you can spend $30k you probably dont have purchase power resistance until at least 40k.

Camaro LT1 vs the 86 is all about weight tolerance. Are you okay with 800 more pounds for double the power? Honestly i would lust for the one i did not buy in both cases. Are you going to really flog the 86 on a track where the weight and handling would be worth it? I just wanna cruise around and romp that torque now and then.

Camaro LT1 with just one option, (tech pkg) $36890 msrp and 3619lbs. Assuming we can all build cars again GM will have more discounts than nissan or toyoburu. Before any shortage issues the cheapest LT1 manuals were 28-29k and many examples on the low 30s. They may not be that far apart. Maybe camaro trades for 10% off and the toyoburu cars get 1k off. Nissan, no clue on its sticker price and likely wont budge a cent. If you can spend $30k you probably dont have purchase power resistance until at least 40k.

Camaro LT1 vs the 86 is all about weight tolerance. Are you okay with 800 more pounds for double the power? Honestly i would lust for the one i did not buy in both cases. Are you going to really flog the 86 on a track where the weight and handling would be worth it? I just wanna cruise around and romp that torque now and then.

I remember at one point BRZ/FRS/86 were even as low as $21K. I think an LT1 V8 is more of a pony car than a driver's car. If I was buying a V8 Camaro I'd get no less than a 1LE.

Speaking based on my ND2, it's not something I have to hoon to have fun in. But I feel I would have to wind out a Camaro to enjoy it. That's why I think the BRZ/GR86 is going to be more fun on the street.

Even my WRX gets up to speed so quickly I'm breaking the law easily unless I'm watching closely when I give it gas. Part of it's the gearing (second takes you to 60mph which I hate), but part of it is even where the speed limit is 60mph, it's so easy to break it with standard Corollas nowadays.

Whether from a stop I can get to 60mph 1-2 seconds faster is not enough of a difference to me that it'll increase my level of fun by that much. That's just my perspective of course.

The camaro is a drivers car, just a heavier one. Have you seen the videos of the nurburgring drivers taking various camaros around the track? They are insanely skilled drivers and the cars put up good times.

Its like a bigger sledge hammer.

The camaro is a drivers car, just a heavier one. Have you seen the videos of the nurburgring drivers taking various camaros around the track? They are insanely skilled drivers and the cars put up good times.

Its like a bigger sledge hammer.

Yes but I think there is a big difference between a 1LE with the magnaride than the stock one. If that's a sledgehammer the GR86 is a surgical scalpel.

Now that I found out the engine is the unturboed FA24 and the engine will have port and DI injection. I actually prefer the unturboed engine. It should put out around 250 HP. And considering my Forester with the FA20 is 250HP turboed it should be a fun car.

Guess my '19 Crosstrek will be going away.

Now that I found out the engine is the unturboed FA24 and the engine will have port and DI injection. I actually prefer the unturboed engine. It should put out around 250 HP. And considering my Forester with the FA20 is 250HP turboed it should be a fun car.

Guess my '19 Crosstrek will be going away.

Yup, like last gen this one has Toyota's D4S which should help longevity.

Yes but I think there is a big difference between a 1LE with the magnaride than the stock one. If that's a sledgehammer the GR86 is a surgical scalpel.
Scalpel indeed. The light weight lower power is a lot of fun in its own ways. I guess i should buy both.

Back