jet oil used as a cleaner??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for you oil gurus, i have 26 quarts of mobil jet oil 254 which have no use and are ready for disposal at the office, an aircrat mechanic was telling me he uses this oil in his car for a hundred miles or so every 50k to clean his engine and he has never had any problems. He told me that oil is highly corrosive so it has to be flushed twice to get everything out..
Is this true? does it really work?

We used that stuff in the Navy and every so often some one tries to use it in there car. Usaually goes like this. Wow it runs good. 10 mins. later Hey I lost oil pressure. What all that smoke. Hey it leaks from EVERY seal. Oooopppssss!!

Want jet engine oil for you car properly formulated for automotive seals, REDLINE my friend, Redline.

DO not ever use any type of jet oil in a car no matter the quantity used. Like others, I have heard the stories also but wanted to know first hand myself. Fellow worker one day brought in a spare new rear main seal from a Chevy. In a shallow pan we put the seal in and covered the seal with Mobil Jet we used for GE CF-6 engines. Within 3 hours, the seal was like loose putty and would not retain original form. By 8 hours, it had totally dissolved.

Hootbro

I'm not sure why anyone would think a high performance lube designed for dealing with the rigors of turbine conditions would perform at all in a reciprocating auto engine. The oil is not "better", it is "different."

I know nothing of these issues; it just seems to defy common sense.

if your engine is rated for 0 weight at 100d C oils? go for it....any seals with oil pressure against them are going to leak like a cow urinating on a flat rock=crank seals...hyd. lifters are going to sound like a percussion symphony
cSt @ 100ºC (212 ºF) 5.3
pray there are lots of EP and AW in it

Guys ...he's suggesting using a small amount for a short period of time ..not filling the crankcase with it and running it for 3k (or until every seal is shot).

Hootbro. What would have been the result with 3oz in a quart of oil with that seal? You don't know
dunno.gif

So, although it's surely not recommended, there's nothing that's been offered here that it's destructive as you describe the usage.

This is a low 20 weight oil.

I'd like to hear what bruce has to say about it based on a formulation basis and not on anecdotal evidence. Everyone may be well founded in their fears and cautions ..but just basing stuff on fear never really satisfied my curiosity. That is, you may be absolutely correct ..but your reasons for being so aren't good enough for me. Neither is "why in the heck would you want to do something like that?" implying "you jack***".
dunno.gif

edit: Some have suggested (or even verified - I don't know) that Gen III synthetic aviation oils are ester based. These surely would have effects on seals in high concentrations. Do any of you know how much ester is too much in your oil?? Suppose you have none now? Suppose you use some later? (catch my drift?).

Last edited:
Well, keep the stuff. When you take a trip to the USA, consider taking it with you and make a donation to the Gary Allan Oil Reserve Fund. Just leave it at the door.
grin.gif

It is true that ester's are very polar and are good cleaners! If it is truly compatiable with the seals then their will be no real issue. I too have heard horry stories from the guys at the local TSB of people blindly putting Jet Lube in their cars and seal failure was always the problem. If the local A&P has experince doing this with no problem then I would seek his advice on the matter.Some esters used in Jet Lube are completely uncompatable with the seal materials used in automotive engines but some Jet Lubes are completely fine as a supplement to your regular oil but not a complete substitute.

Quote:

Hootbro. What would have been the result with 3oz in a quart of oil with that seal? You don't know
dunno.gif

You are right but I would not do it. Aviation chemicals and fluids are a totally different ball game to deal with. I have seen very bad results from different spec fluids being wrongly serviced in many different applications. Anybody that has worked commercial or military aviation can tell you that having three or four different aircraft types can have you using the same amount of different engine oil and hydraulic fluids. You can Boeing, Airbus and a Douglas aircraft on a ramp with three different fluid requirements. Just because aviation lubricants and fluids have a higher demand requirement, does not make the better for use in a automotive application. It is a game of Russian roulette to use aviation fluids in a automotive enviroment.

The Guy that founded Amsoil just did not start throwing Jet oil in a bottle and sell it. He did it right and found what was the best propertes of Jet oil and then taylored towards automotive.

You guys that think you know better, then go ahead because I will be laughing when you motor or tranny takes a dump.

Hootbro

Quote:

It is a game of Russian roulette to use aviation fluids in a automotive enviroment.

Yep. 100% agree.

But if you just can't help yourself, do it in moderation and on something you don't mind junking, or is due for an overhaul anyways.

Sure ..there are "unwise" ways of doing everything. I'm sure that there's someone out there that put 5 quarts of Duralube in his engine. There are lots of techniques that could never be "recommended" for the uninformed or unaware. Little=good always seems to get integrated into more=better.

No one should have to use this as an agressive cleaner if they've taken care of their engine. Auto-Rx is cheaper (I think) and surely safer.

It's a shame that the chair wasn't pulled out of an E series conversion van. That guy would be a poster boy for the current "BOLD MOVES" campaign.
grin.gif

Man that guy had hair... Although he qualifies ..that really isn't a Darwin like move. It looked well thought out ..he just got more then he bargained for. I guess he didn't think any progressive trial runs would give him the same feeling.

Quote:

I have a question for you oil gurus, i have 26 quarts of mobil jet oil 254 which have no use and are ready for disposal at the office, an aircrat mechanic was telling me he uses this oil in his car for a hundred miles or so every 50k to clean his engine and he has never had any problems. He told me that oil is highly corrosive so it has to be flushed twice to get everything out..
Is this true? does it really work?

Jet Oil 254 is not designed to be compatible with automotive engine seals.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/Canada-English/Aviation/PDS/IOCAENAVIMOMobil_Jet_Oil_254.asp

You may find seal swell is an issue - the Jet Oil 254 is designed to be compatible with the seals in intended applications, not automobiles. Even some aviation applications have reported seal degradation when switching from Jet Oil II to Jet Oil 254.

This oil is sold in moisture-proof containers. It is not designed to accommodate the condensation of an automotive engine crankcase. That, plus its effect on seals, may be what your acquaintance is terming "corrosive".

I would not put 100% Jet Oil 254 in my crankcase. It does not have the appropriate additives for a reciprocating engine and is not designed for that use.

You might try 5 or 10% in a properly formulated motor oil, but even there I think you may run into problems with seal swell and ultimately leakage.

'

Why not just use it the way some use Rislone, Marvel, LC20.... Add a couple ounces to each quart of oil.
And, I bet it'll make a good UCL. Add several ounces to each tank of fuel.
You should be able to dispense of those 26 quarts this way in a couple years.

I do not think I would give him the Darwin award. What he did was scientificly sound. He did take safety precautions for himself with the parachute. I will say that he obviously did not think too far ahead with his plan. I mean useing a bb gun to shoot out the ballons while simple is not the best way of doing this. The use of CB radio is usless to communicate to any airfield or airtraffic directly. He could of easily got permission for a ballon launch if he had gone through proper channels. He also took the power for a while wich could have been prevented with a little bit more planing.

I think the guy showed some moxy!! He actual tried to cary out a dream from child hood wich is more then most people ever do. I just wish he would have thought the problem through a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back