Japanese-made compact FWD SUV, no CVT?

What are my options if I want a compact SUV that was actually assembled in Japan, but isn’t AWD and has a conventional transmission? I like the Mazda CX-5 except they seem to only be available in AWD. Does such a vehicle exist in the new market?

I can't think of any off the top of my head. Try googling the brands for their offerings.

Honda Pilot can come in FWD and a 10 speed. The new Nissan Pathfinder is FWD with a 9 speed. Both of those come with proven, reliable engines. In the luxury segment, the RX 350 can come in FWD and an 8 speed auto. If all things remain the same though, I don't know why I wouldn't pick the Mazda AWD system or a Toyota CVT.

Edit: just read "assembled" in Japan. Again, I don't know why the distinction, but whatever floats your boat. I don't know where any of the above are assembled.

What are my options if I want a compact SUV that was actually assembled in Japan, but isn’t AWD and has a conventional transmission? I like the Mazda CX-5 except they seem to only be available in AWD. Does such a vehicle exist in the new market?
How did this criteria come about?

Honda Pilot can come in FWD and a 10 speed. The new Nissan Pathfinder is FWD with a 9 speed. Both of those come with proven, reliable engines. In the luxury segment, the RX 350 can come in FWD and an 8 speed auto. If all things remain the same though, I don't know why I wouldn't pick the Mazda AWD system or a Toyota CVT.

Edit: just read "assembled" in Japan. Again, I don't know why the distinction, but whatever floats your boat. I don't know where any of the above are assembled.

"Compact"

I don't know of any compact SUV's fitting that criteria. Most brands have no desire to "Import" into the USA b/c there's plenty demand for those types of vehicles here for the last 20-23 years. Importing would not sell very well w/demand.

The only Japanese vehicle I can think of that somewhat fits your criteria is the Forester.

It’s AWD and CVT though.

"Compact"
Well, quite literally only two "compact" SUVs are actually manufactured in Japan, and that's the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross, which has a CVT and is AWD and the Forester which famously is both as well. I figured his powertrain and bias fascination would matter most then, as less than 120 seconds of googling helped me figure this out.

Well, quite literally only two "compact" SUVs are actually manufactured in Japan, and that's the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross, which has a CVT and is AWD and the Forester which famously is both as well. I figured his powertrain and bias fascination would matter most then, as less than 120 seconds of googling helped me figure this out.
CX-5 is made in Japan as well. Is it not considered compact?

Rav4. My 2019 (same as current) was assembled in Japan, 8 speed Asin trans. However you will have to search around - only certain trims come from Japan anymore since they have 2 plants here now - Kentucky and Ontario I think? However still some trims do - I think if you get certain options.

If that's what you want, you'll have to go non-Japanese and get a Buick Envista :sneaky:

The closest to a regular automatic from Japan is a Toyota hybrid. The Toyota hybrid ECVT isn't really a CVT and uses planetary gears like a regular automatic. Toyotas are good cars no matter what country they're made in. However, all the Corolla Cross hybrids are AWD. The non-hybrid Corolla Cross is available with FWD, but it uses a regular CVT and not the hybrid's ECVT.

While the HR-V uses a CVT, Honda's CVT is very good and also very easy to change the fluid on. In addition, Honda doesn't pretend it's lifetime fluid, the kind of honesty that should be appreciated on BITOG :D

FWIW, a CVT actually is simpler than a regular automatic and uses fewer parts.

Back