Japanese-made compact FWD SUV, no CVT?

Rav4. My 2019 (same as current) was assembled in Japan, 8 speed Asin trans. However you will have to search around - only certain trims come from Japan anymore since they have 2 plants here now - Kentucky and Ontario I think? However still some trims do - I think if you get certain options.
Don't think they make any FWD any longer. I looked at a couple dealerships and didn't see any FWD. All AWD.

Don't think they make any FWD any longer. I looked at a couple dealerships and didn't see any FWD. All AWD.
Mostly FWD here according to Toyota.com. Likely your region they hedge AWD due to snow.

But I did look and couldn't find any J vin's. All 2's here which is odd - all 100% canada build. I didn't look for long.

I know in 2019 it was about even, maybe even Canada/Japan or maybe even more Japan weighted. Once they got Kentucky up and running it swung that way - so maybe out of luck on new?

Rav4. My 2019 (same as current) was assembled in Japan, 8 speed Asin trans. However you will have to search around - only certain trims come from Japan anymore since they have 2 plants here now - Kentucky and Ontario I think? However still some trims do - I think if you get certain options.
I wouldn’t have thought about a RAV. There’s a Canadian FWD base trim at a nearby dealer. It’s not 100% what I specified but my two Canadian Toyotas were both completely reliable and trouble-free so it’s now on my list. Thanks!

IMHO, if you can accept the CVT on the Corolla Cross, it's the closest vehicle to the specs you are looking for.
Naturally aspirated, FWD, Japanese-ish.

You don't have a lot of choices. There are only three non-CVT entries in the compact SUV segment (non-premium)

CX-5
RAV4
Tiguan

Since you wanted one assembled in Japan, CX-5 is the only one available.

If you'd like to broaden your pool of choices, just get an AWD and remove the driveshaft and AWD emblem on the tailgate.
The thought had crossed my mind.

Right now the choice seems to be between a Japanese CX-5 AWD and a Canadian RAV4 FWD. The CX-5 has the same 2.5 Skyactiv engine as my Mazda6 (which I like) but the Toyota has port + direct injection which might be better for long term reliability.

I’m guessing I can get the Mazda for at least $1000 less than the Toyota.

Where is the VW Tiguan made. FWD + 8-speed starting at $29K.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 222317.jpg

for the sake of argument, I'll assume the US models come from the First 2 plants, heavily biased towards the second one....

The thought had crossed my mind.

Right now the choice seems to be between a Japanese CX-5 AWD and a Canadian RAV4 FWD. The CX-5 has the same 2.5 Skyactiv engine as my Mazda6 (which I like) but the Toyota has port + direct injection which might be better for long term reliability.

I’m guessing I can get the Mazda for at least $1000 less than the Toyota.
CX5 has a much smaller interior and cargo volume than the Rav4, if that matters. If not I thought they were very nice - but didn't even test drive one as they were too small for us.

View attachment 214454
for the sake of argument, I'll assume the US models come from the First 2 plants, heavily biased towards the second one....
AFAIK all North American Tiguans are coming from Mexico plant, for the EU market the long wheelbase Tiguans are also made in Mexico. Only short wheelbases are made in Germany, which is not available here.

The 8-speed Aisin transmission is made in Japan though ;)

What's the allure of these compact SUVs that similar size sedans don't have? If mechanical simplicity for reliability is primary concern, something electric would be the way to go.

From a packaging perspective, small SUVs make much more sense. The ride height makes entry and exit easy, plus it gives much more space for passengers and cargo. I have no interest in owning a sedan again. I haven't bought a sedan in over a decade and probably never will.

From a packaging perspective, small SUVs make much more sense. The ride height makes entry and exit easy, plus it gives much more space for passengers and cargo. I have no interest in owning a sedan again. I haven't bought a sedan in over a decade and probably never will.
I totally agree, but I'll still always want to keep a sedan around. Having a separate, locking trunk where people can't see your stuff is a major advantage of a sedan for me. When I go to the shooting range it's in my car because I can lock my guns out of sight in the trunk in case I want to stop at a store or restaurant before heading home.

Back