I've never pulled apart a dry engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mulehead
Having a car not running at a light to save gas is a safety issue.

...because...?

I have a car with stop-start and there are millions of them running around the world. They all have to pass safety regulations for approval. In every one I have driven, the engine has started more quickly than I can shift into gear and be ready to move.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I'm sure that the run/stop vehicles do not have run of the mill starters. It will probably be standard within 5-10 years.

They are pretty common in Europe now. Even on cheaper econoboxes.

It is quite common now, but I just remembered driving this on one occasion ten years ago. Regata ES had this system in 1984 !
http://www.omniauto.it/magazine/17447/fiat-regata-es-la-prima-con-lo-startstop

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Shannow, how in the world do you have a sig on page one, but not p.2?

This is Shannow we are talking about here...

He used the force.

I'm sure that the run/stop vehicles do not have run of the mill starters. It will probably be standard within 5-10 years.

Actually at least a few of them have the EXACT same starters as the non-R/S models. Granted- starters have come a long way and R/S cars in particular have the PCM set up to get them running on the first or second compression. But still... lots of extra cycles on the solenoid, O/R clutch drive, and other starter drive components.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Have said it many times that I've never pulled apart an engine wihtout getting covered in oil.

Pulled piston assemblies out of a BMW 6 (well 5, as one was out the side), that had been sitting in a shed for 2 years, and the piston assemblies still held a LOT of messy oil.

Shannow, where exactly was that oil? If the piston rods spray the bottom of the pistons, I can imagine they might not drain at all (as long as they are not stored inverted.)

Hangfire, hangs around between the piston and the wall...disassembling the ring pack is quite messy. Bearings always have oil in them....think capillary action in those places.

Sort of where you want the oil to be when you turn the key really.

Cams are still "oily" - as an experiment, if your oil fill hole has access to a cam, rub your finger on a lobe after parked for a night.

Thanks, Shannow. I find oil wherever/whenever I go into an engine, too. It is reassuring.

I've heard that "true" synthetics drain off more quickly and completely than conventional or semi-syns. I don't know for myself but I suppose it's possible. I would think the oil companies know enough to mitigate this in some way. Maybe that's why we keep finding Group III in our synthetic oils?

In the gun world, we talk about lubricant "migration" and the conflicting requirements of a CLP to both Lubricate and Protect. I've even seen home experiments, which I applaud but none that I would consider useful in terms of controls and statistical significance.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Actually at least a few of them have the EXACT same starters as the non-R/S models. Granted- starters have come a long way and R/S cars in particular have the PCM set up to get them running on the first or second compression. But still... lots of extra cycles on the solenoid, O/R clutch drive, and other starter drive components.

a regular Hyudai starter is designed for 50,000 starts, a S/s vehicle gets a starter designed for 200,000 or 300,000 starts. One or the other, can't remember now. Moot point for me anyway, I keep S/S disabled.

What is more interesting though, is that S/S equipped cars get a battery condition sensor, and an alternator with variable load capacity. They all use regenerative braking aswell, though some makes market this more agressively as others. This will result in a higher fuel saving than the actual stopping of the engine, but the customer doesn't know this is happening as opposed to the engine shutting off at the lights.

Originally Posted By: mulehead
Having a car not running at a light to save gas is a safety issue.

Not paying attention at a light is a safety issue. My Prius C has stop/start and revives faster than most people sitting there with their engine running.

It's the driver more than the vehicle.

But a prius is a whole different kettle of fish since it takes off on electric motor.

My new Polo has stop/start but it can only be disabled per trip by a button on the dash. The problem for me is that if I forget to turn it off before I reach my garage, when I get out of the car (to open the garage door) it won't restart when I get back in. I have to turn everything off and start the engine manually.

So, I've disabled it permanently by adjusting the battery voltage parameter in the ECU that detects when the electrical load is high and so keeps the engine running to support that even with a normal electrical load.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
But a prius is a whole different kettle of fish since it takes off on electric motor.

My new Polo has stop/start but it can only be disabled per trip by a button on the dash. The problem for me is that if I forget to turn it off before I reach my garage, when I get out of the car (to open the garage door) it won't restart when I get back in. I have to turn everything off and start the engine manually.

So, I've disabled it permanently by adjusting the battery voltage parameter in the ECU that detects when the electrical load is high and so keeps the engine running to support that even with a normal electrical load.

Nice job figuring out how to disable it permanently! That's another technology "I" can do without. Some people think it's great, I have no problem with that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back