help me decide on a good oil for my engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Originally Posted By: lui
thanks for the input guys....your suggestions are appreciated.

i have narrowed it down to RP, Redline or Amsoil....

strongly leaning toward RP for the price and easy of availability around here.

Your engine isn't the usual Honda plant, so you're correct to throw the Honda turbo recommendations out the window.

With a modded turbo, you do walk a bit of an oil tightrope. You want heavy film thickness, but you don't want so much vis that spool up suffers.

I'd lean towards RL here, as it will give you superior film strength and put up with the turbo better at a thinner vis. Although I would consider less spread, such as a 10w-40

I do agree with the one poster above; you may have your pistons spec'ed a little too tight. That, or you will need to cool them a little better than you have. At those pressures, you're running them mighty hot. Is this an open/deckless block?

Exactly. I'm not sure why so many here are putting emphasis on the Honda approved oil when this is not a factory turbo car and it's making quite a bit more power than any factory turbo setup. Redline was made for engines like this.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
I'm going to be surprised if a new oil really fixes this problem.

He's swapping the pistons and I would assume more piston to cylinder clearacnce.

He's going with water/meth injection which will really knock the heat down.

He's going with a more robust oil for insurance.

I'm not sure what else you could want.
54.gif

I missed the part about swapping pistons. Hopefully this will correct the main problem at hand.

A more robust oil is always better in these extremes, but if there is a mechanical malfunction...

Lui,

I suggst staying with Mobil 1. My two cents on that.
The over-heating issue sounds like your cooling system might need looking into. I wonder if the water-jacket are pluged???? Check into that. Perhaps a good flushing will do the trick.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
Lui,

I suggst staying with Mobil 1. My two cents on that.
The over-heating issue sounds like your cooling system might need looking into. I wonder if the water-jacket are pluged???? Check into that. Perhaps a good flushing will do the trick.

Durango

Why would you go with Mobil 1 over Redline?

I don't think his water temp is running too high, his piston temps went too high.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I would go with Redline for the reasons already stated.

+1. It may shear, but the high HTHS and it's known film strength will keep those pistons from touching the cylinders better than most oils. Aside from ... JMHO... an HDEO synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I would go with Redline for the reasons already stated.

+1. It may shear, but the high HTHS and it's known film strength will keep those pistons from touching the cylinders better than most oils. Aside from ... JMHO... an HDEO synthetic.

Have you seen the old thread where Redline is shown to retain it's HTHS better than other oils?

Really for this application it doesn't get any better than Redline. At a certain point it stands alone for high performance cars. I have used it in various applications from mild to wild. Actually ran it in a B18C5 that was turbocharged and later had NOS added. The customer changed directions several times by swapping out the head, different cams..... So I saw the motor apart at different times in it's life. It always looked like new. Blew a head gasket but other than that it was ultra reliable for the power level we were at.

again thanks for the suggestions guys. i know the oil is not going to fix the main problem but i just wanted a better lubrication solution than my original choice of castrol syntec.

all the oils you suggested are on my list. and like one user said the honda spec approved oil is of no interest to me since its not a factory turbo setup.

I'm pretty much set on royal purple, amsoil or redline.

all of which are great oils and should work well. once i get it back up and running again in the next couple weeks i will do a short break in with regular oil (800-1000km) then make the switch to synthetic.

thanks

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1548270&gonew=1#UNREAD

Has a WRX that used RP and RL. Doesn't mean anything written in stone since he ran 3 different oils in a row.. but it is still neat to look at. The Redline has a killer add pack for protection vs the Royal Purple *in this scenario, at least* and doesn't shear like the RP.

And from all I've seen on this board, Royal Purple likes to shear. It'd help to know your oil temperatures. If you are pushing 300F+, I'd want a thick 40w or 50w at the least. A lot depends on how you drive it, and how much you drive it like that.

i just picked up some royal purple for a pretty good price. if anyone in the toronto area want a decent deal for this oil you should hit up performance improvments. im not sure how much longer the sale is on for but i got 5 litres of RP and a K&N oil filter for $59+taxes which is a pretty good deal around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back