Understanding HTHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they don't and the reason is obviously CAFE.

The 1.4 turbo gasser here in Oz, the exact same engine as you have over there requires Dex2 here...Dex 1 would void warranty.

There's still Dex 1 on the shelves, as a number of cars spec ILSAC grade.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Do US car manufacturers recommend the use of dexos2 in their gasoline engines?

Is the current Corvette a diesel

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSi
...but dexos2 is targeted/marketed for Europe and other countries, as where dexos1 is marketed for the USA and Asia. Must be those low load use vehicles in North America driving dexos1.
wink.gif

Several years ago, BMW issued a Service Bulletin saying that while LL04-spec (diesel) oil was acceptable for use in European gas and diesel cars, it's use in U.S. gas cars could result in engine damage due to our high sulphur gas. Not sure if anything has changed since then.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

With the gas mileage I'm getting on the highway with mine you'd think it was a diesel!
laugh.gif

While that MIGHT be a diesel mileage figure, it's not the diesel tachometer.

That's ridiculous mileage Patman, congratz...my Colorado is about 25US MPG.

While that MIGHT be a diesel mileage figure, it's not the diesel tachometer.

That's ridiculous mileage Patman, congratz...my Colorado is about 25US MPG.

It's not something I can achieve on every highway trip, it takes perfectly flat roads (and probably a bit of a tailwind too) but even over longer distances I can still average some pretty impressive numbers with this 455hp beast. Most highway trips with the cruise set to 110km/h and the air conditioning going, I can average around 35-36 MPG. And that's with the slightly thicker ESP 5w30 too
smile.gif

My best 25km in the Colorado is 52.27US MPG...but my average still is a woeful 25, in my diesel on Dexos 2.

Is this on regular ?

Even more impressive...the 1997 L67 Caprice that we sold to get the diesel Captiva (again, 25US MPG in a Diesel), got 16.2...on Premium

My best 25km in the Colorado is 52.27US MPG...but my average still is a woeful 25, in my diesel on Dexos 2.

Is this on regular ?

I only run premium in the Corvette, but in this particular case where I got 43.1, it was with Sunoco 93 octane that I bought in the US (so it had 10% ethanol) Here at home in the cooler weather I run 91 octane from Shell or Costco and both of them have no ethanol so that's worth a tiny bit more MPG too.

The 1.4 turbo gasser here in Oz, the exact same engine as you have over there requires Dex2 here...Dex 1 would void warranty.

But to be fair, the use of dexos2 in his 1.4T over here might void the warranty too.

My 1.4T gasser is required to use 0W40 every time I change the oil …

Originally Posted By: Patman
With the gas mileage I'm getting on the highway with mine you'd think it was a diesel!
laugh.gif

Could always convert ...
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back