I've got 1911 Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking to add a 1911 to my collection.

I think I'd like a Commander-size gun, in order to use it as one of my CCW options.

Would like to stay in the $1300 or less range... I feel that I should be able to pick up a pretty nice 1911 for that price with some nice features.

Some features I'm looking for:

- Series-70 gun

- Flat mainspring housing

- Long Trigger

- Frontstrap & Mainspring Housing Checkering

- Match Barrel

- Capability to run a Supressor (doesn't have to come with a threaded barrel, but I'd like to be able to add one.)

I'm kinda intrigued by the Dan Wesson CCO. It's built on an Officer-size frame, but with a Commander-size slide and a 4.25" barrel.

I learned about it on the Sootch00 YouTube channel:

Seems like a nice gun for the $$$.

I'm wondering... If I were to add a threaded barrel and run a suppressor on it... Would it run with a suppressor, or would it require tuning??

Originally Posted By: CT8
Dan Wessons are like buying a Wilson Combat product for Kimber prices.

Sootch00 says they are fine-quality guns. I like the fact that they're a custom shop, but are owned and supported by CZ-USA. I am a big fan of CZ (I don't own one but will eventually buy one).

Kimber seems to be getting a very bad rap on the various forums these days. Deserved or undeserved, I don't know.

I like quality but I love value. I understand that a $5000.00 gun can be a value, and a $250.00 gun van also be a good value.

Like anybody else, when I buy something, no matter what it is, I am looking for the highest quality, and the most features, for the amount of money I've budgeted for the item.

Then look at Springfield Armory 1911s. I am a some what lover of 1911s. Though I like the plastic pistols as well. Nothing like a fine 1911 though. One of my friends is a true 1911 nut he has 12 1911 9 Colts all fixed up ,2 Wilson combats and 1 springfield 1911 in 9mm which he took out all the model 80 parts and converted it into a model 70. I have shot all of them and pick the wilsons ,so I have shot the Wilsons often. I have the low end Dan Wesson PM 7 [all Chip Brown non mim parts] and it is as nice as the Wilson products for half the price. The Dan Wesson is a steal in the 1911 market.

You may not like an officers frame, some folks don't I'd advise holding one if you have not.

Dan Wesson makes a nice pistol, make sure that you look it over very carefully before taking it, and that you specifically address whether the pistol is a blem or not with the seller. A blem SHOULD have an upside down "Y" next to the serial number and a sheet in the box describing the blem but there have been cases of it not being there.

If you do like the CCO style there is a Wiley Clapp CCO model as well, and DW is coming out with a CCO with checkering (and some other stuff) called the Valkyrie, it will probably go for more than your price though.

I've never held or shot a Dan Wesson. They look like excellent pieces, though. My dad has two of these style guns, both chambered in 9mm. He's got a S&M Pro Series 1911 and an STI Edge 2011. Both shoot great; I prefer the traditional look and feel of the S&W. The STI, all hot-rodded as it is, has the polymer frame and slightly wider grip (and larger mag well). His S&W just screams class.

He also owned a Springfield EMP in 9mm for a short while. Also a nice gun.

I do love a Commander size gun, though, and that Dan Wesson CCO is quite a looker.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
You may not like an officers frame, some folks don't I'd advise holding one if you have not.

Dan Wesson makes a nice pistol, make sure that you look it over very carefully before taking it, and that you specifically address whether the pistol is a blem or not with the seller. A blem SHOULD have an upside down "Y" next to the serial number and a sheet in the box describing the blem but there have been cases of it not being there.

If you do like the CCO style there is a Wiley Clapp CCO model as well, and DW is coming out with a CCO with checkering (and some other stuff) called the Valkyrie, it will probably go for more than your price though.

Sounds like solid advice. Thank you. I'll check out that Clapp CCO model when I get a chance. It's a Colt?

Very hard to beat S&W Performance Center 1911's. Sig GSR is also very well made. Springfield TRP is an amazing one, but very heavy.

I can recommend the Colt, SA, Wilson, and for the money even the Ruger. The Norinco 1911 is an absolute bargain, and a favorite of a gunsmith friend who likes to do customs. I built mine myself on a Caspian frame and like it alot.

Stay away from Kimbers. They are overpriced, overhyped junk and their customer service is horrendous.

Last edited:
Nice pistol. I bought a DW .357 revolver over 30 years ago that is very high quality. I'm a DW fan. I also enjoy my 1911 Kimber.

I purchased a 1991-A1 Colt in the early 90's. It's been an accurate and well-behave pistol ever since. I put another slide release in it from breakage, new grips a couple of times, and a longer safety latch. I stoned the hammer face and raceway, polished the feed ramp, and put in a full-length guide rod. Nothing too expensive, but it's the most accurate pistole I own and has been a pleaseure to own.

It's big, and it's heavy, and I love it. It's not a pretty pistol but it's a very fine thing to own.

Also as far as carry, on a 1911 the lower portion of the frame is generally what prints. An officers frame is one way to deal with this, it is shorter and holds one less round. Another way is a bobtail, such as the VBOB (Valor Bobtail)

See:

Massive DW VBOB review (Dialup killer)

(The safeties on a new one will differ slightly as will the slide stop)

But again, not everyone cares for the feel.

Also if you do get a DW make sure to run it heavily lubricated with one of DWs recommended lubes for the first few hundred rounds - NOT RemOil or CLP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
... It's a Colt?

Yes, TALO is a distributor and Colt builds specific pistols for them.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/SpecialEditions/WileyClappPistols.aspx

I do love the idea of a Colt being my first 1911, for obvious reasons...but I didn't see a model with an Officer's frame and Commander slide length. I like that combo for reliability reasons, and, as someone else may have mentioned, grip length is the main factor in concealability.

... It's a Colt?

Yes, TALO is a distributor and Colt builds specific pistols for them.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/SpecialEditions/WileyClappPistols.aspx

I do love the idea of a Colt being my first 1911, for obvious reasons...but I didn't see a model with an Officer's frame and Commander slide length. ...

The Colt O9840WC Concealed Carry Officers is an Officers frame with a Commander length slide. (That is what a CCO is).

Here is another link:

Colt O9840WC Concealed Carry Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back