Ruger 1911! Yeah!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

"Sturm, Ruger & Co. will unveil the Ruger SR1911 — the company's version of John Browning's most famous handgun design — at the NRA's Annual Meeting in Pittsburgh, Pa., starting April 29.

The single-action, .45-auto Ruger SR1911 arrives with a stainless steel slide, barstock frame, 5-inch barrel and bushing. The slide features rear cocking serrations and a dovetailed three-dot sight system with a Novak rear sight and standard front sight. The introduction ties in with the centennial of the U.S. Army's adoption of the 1911 as its standard-issue service sidearm in 1911.

"We are very proud to offer a 1911 pistol, an icon of American gun design and manufacturing," says Michael Fifer, Ruger's CEO. "In this 100-anniversary year of the introduction of the Government Model 1911 it is only fitting that such a firearm be completely manufactured in America with all American-made components."

The Ruger SR1911 pistol features a titanium firing pin and heavy firing pin spring that negates the need for a firing pin block. The feature, according to Ruger, updates a safety feature from the original "Series 70" design without compromising trigger-pull weight. An extended thumb safety offers improved manipulation and an oversized beavertail grip safety provides positive function and reliability. A visual inspection port offers confirmation of a round in the chamber.

Positive extraction is facilitated by an improved internal extractor. The plunger tube for both the slide stop and thumb safety is integral to the frame and the swedged link pin is designed not to shoot loose. The SR1911 uses a skeletonized hammer and an aluminum, skeletonized trigger with an adjustable over-travel stop. The Ruger SR1911 features a standard recoil guide system and flat mainspring housing.

The Ruger SR1911 grips feature a Ruger logo in checkered hardwood panels. Each pistol is shipped with a 7-round and 8-round magazines (also stainless steel), a bushing wrench, and a soft case.

The SR1911 retails for $799. It measures 8.67 inches in total length and weighs 39 ounces. It's not approved for California or Massachusetts."

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-ruger-sr1911-video/9290/

http://ruger.com/news/2011-04-18.html

http://ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

and i said i wouldn't buy any more guns.....
45.gif
09.gif

I saw that. MSRP of $799 - who says you need to spend $1000 to get a quality 1911 NOW? Glad to see they're not screwing around with the design safety-wise either to protect against the lawyers.

I'll take a Rock Island Armory 1911 for half that price. Ruger is a little late to the game by just now introducing a 100 year old pistol when they are already being made by 2 dozen other companies out there.

This from a Ruger fan and owner of a Mark II .22, LCR .38, Mini-14, an SP-101, and other Ruger firearms.

Last edited:
It will probably sell in the $700 range. Some places are saying $689. I doubt that, but it's still a good value.

RIA 1911's sell in the $450 range now.

The choice is pretty easy, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Shovel Head Ted
I was all excited till I read it is not approved for us in Ca. I may have to move.

Or get some more competent people in office.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Did they drop the p-90 when they came out with this?

I'll keep my P-90. When I was shopping for my 45, one of my requirements was double action.

A will say if Ruger's making a 1911, it won't be a race gun, but it will be indestructible.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Bar stock frame and internal extractor is nice!

Says HERE that the slide is machined from bar stock and the frame is investment cast?

The video that Pablo linked to said the same thing. It makes sense because Ruger is a casting operation. That same video shows Caspian frames being cast.

Pinetree castings is integrated into Ruger or just a partial owner type deal, I forget, But that's where alot of manufacturer's stuff is made, then badged, stamped, whatever, for them.
IF I'm remembering the article correctly.

As for the 1911 replacing the P series, I kinda doubt it.
Different price points on the 2.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I saw that. MSRP of $799 - who says you need to spend $1000 to get a quality 1911 NOW? Glad to see they're not screwing around with the design safety-wise either to protect against the lawyers.
You have to spend way more than a $1000.00 to get the kind of quality out of a 1911 I prefer. Less than that price I prefer a Glock or a Springfield XD, S@W etc .They would be a better pistol. I am spoiled and can tell the difference in feel, the feel is what the 1911 is all about. Savor the feel of a top end 1911 then a RIA .

Originally Posted By: defektes
Originally Posted By: Shovel Head Ted
I was all excited till I read it is not approved for us in Ca. I may have to move.

Or get some more competent people in office.
The majority of the voters in Calif aren't capable of discernment.

Originally Posted By: cbear
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Did they drop the p-90 when they came out with this?

I'll keep my P-90. When I was shopping for my 45, one of my requirements was double action.

A will say if Ruger's making a 1911, it won't be a race gun, but it will be indestructible.

I love my p-90 eats +p rounds all day, very tough gun. I like the double action, its my travel ( car gun). Still i also want a 1911! If the ruger is a true 1911 i.e parts interchangability and after market, then i want one too!

Originally Posted By: Rix
Pinetree castings is integrated into Ruger or just a partial owner type deal, I forget, But that's where alot of manufacturer's stuff is made, then badged, stamped, whatever, for them.
IF I'm remembering the article correctly.

Ruger is the parent company of Pine Tree.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
You have to spend way more than a $1000.00 to get the kind of quality out of a 1911 I prefer. Less than that price I prefer a Glock or a Springfield XD, S@W etc .They would be a better pistol. I am spoiled and can tell the difference in feel, the feel is what the 1911 is all about. Savor the feel of a top end 1911 then a RIA .

Last person that said that to me was shocked when I told him my STI retails for about 6-650.
HA!
AND it shoots just as nicely as his kimber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back