It's terminal and the transplant is scheduled

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALS

to begin next Monday. Tragedy struck last night when my beloved 1987 745 Turbo Volvo's engine developed a connecting rod knock. We got her to the dealer as soon as we could this morning but the diagnosis was she is terminal. The new engine is going to be transplanted next Monday and into Tuesday. I tried to keep her going with a good cleaning of Auto-RX but it must have been too much for the old girls system. I have already decided that the new engine will be getting a steady diet of Mobil one from day one.

Dude you are scaring me
gr_eek2.gif
- you must have enjoyed the Auto-Rx a bit much
burnout.gif

.....uh well I'm about to go into the second phase of Auto-Rx on the 245Ti.....
crushedcar.gif

Well had you read my earlier post (My early experience with Auto-RX) I was already having problems with the motor before I Auto-RXed it.
I had already made deals with the parts department and service department at my dealer at Christmas time because I knew this day was coming. I was hoping the Auto-RX would give me some more time before I had to do it. And if you did read the post the results were great. I have one of the B230FT (K) motors which is known for punching the number one rod through the block. These motors were built for gas mileage so they have the small journals and lightened connecting rods. They don't take well to boost enhancement at the level I have mine. We are talking about a 16 year old motor with 14.5 psi of boost and almost 283,000 miles. Second I am hard on a car and drive them like I stole it. I may maintain them better than 99.9% of the population but that
doesn't make up for full boost runs at high rpms.
Lets face it no matter how well you take care of a motor it is going wear out sooner or later.

Sorry to hear that the old Volvo motor sang its last tune. The newly found power at the to was evidently not well received at the bottom. Or possibly the renewed power was not across all eight cylinders. Sounds to me that the extra boost was not what the doctor ordered. Hate to hear it guy. For what its worth, at least you got one more surge of excitement before she let go.

In the future don't modify an old lady. However if you got 285,000 out of her, then you can't feel cheated.

When cars get to the beater stage it's time for a couple of standbys...

car-part.com is a huge database of just about every imaginable junk yard special. Haven't checked Volvo turbos but good Toyota engines from the early 90's can be had for a few hundred dollars. Stuck a new engine clutch and carburator in a 1988 Festiva for $500 parts and labor and the engine was strong enough to go another 100,000 miles, unfortunately the synchros were catching at about 170K and I got rid of it. Still kick myself. The original engine looked like it had rough use with little if any attention for the first 30K but I got another 80K uneventful miles out of it. Altogether a cheap ride.

If it looks like crap, I like to take it to Earl Scheib and get it paint job. Switch colors even. Had a whole lot of body work and a whole car repainted a candy apple red for $600 from Earl about 2 years ago. Paint job itself cost $250-- top of the line. After two plus years the **** thing still hasn't faded or peeled.

Two reasons why I really like old beaters.

[ June 09, 2003, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

csandste, I thought about going to a used motor but it isn't worth the time and money. For $1500 over the cost of a used motor with at least 100K miles on it, I can get a new motor with an unlimited mileage and an one year warranty. With a used motor you don't know what your getting. The warranty is really longer but Volvo doesn't talk about it. My dealer had a replacement motor that had a thrust bearing let go a year and a half after it was installed. Volvo bought the new motor and labor to install it.

Guys - just want you to know, that what I said about ALS scaring me had to do with with the fact that we both own Volvo turbos.

The mention about Auto-Rx IS somewhat factual...in the sense that, after an effective cleaning ALS' engine was probably making a somewhat higher effective compression and somethinghad to give......unfortunately it was the lower end (a known weakness of the red K blocks)

I am sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back