Tires Plus Rant

So I had a couple tire issues in the last couple months. First tire has a slow leak, maybe a bead leak, very slow as in once every three weeks it needs air. So I stop by Tires Plus (which happens to be the closest shop and I can walk home from there) and the service writer says can't get you in until Saturday. I say, great, we make an appointment. Show up Saturday and he tells me he is short staffed, can't get me in. We re-schedule for the next Saturday. I show up and AGAIN, he can't fit me in. So I find a new shop and they fix my leaky tire.

Fast forward 6 weeks. One of my valve stems on another tire breaks. This time I decide to take the tire off the car and since Tires Plus is so close, decide to give him another chance. Plus since it's a Saturday afternoon and he is open on Sunday's, I'm hoping he can knock it out before the weekend is up. I bring it in on Saturday afternoon. He writes it up, then I ask, when will it be done. He says, sometime between Saturday and Monday. Ok, so I call Monday at noon, not done. I stop by Monday at 5:00 pm. As I am standing in line he is writing up a job for another guy.....leaky rear tire, JUST LIKE ME. Customer leave and I ask is my tire ready? He says no. I ask, well can you get it done tomorrow (Tuesday). He says, "I don't know". I then ask him to get me the tire and take it to a Midas down the street. They did it the next day by noon. This guy at Tires Plus comes across as a really nice guy but never delivers and continues to take in orders.

Was this just a standard rubber valve stem with no TPMS? Literally wheel the thing in to the shop and ask the tech to swap the valve and air it up. Takes two minutes, if that! Any time you carry in a tire it should be done while you wait, easy as pie to slip in.

Time to find a new tire shop. The topic shop proven multiple times they can't handle the work, unreliable. Tire shop guy may be nice, but if he can't handle the work and doesn't honor commitments, not helping you. Move on.

It needed a new TPMS. And yes, I was WAY too patient. I really wanted a shop within walking distance but this isn't the place. There is another, an independent that is close and I have used in the past. I thought they were expensive but in retrospect, they are competitive. I will give them another shot. I should of known, his Google reviews are hit and miss. Lots of similar complaints.

The current "surge" has a lot of businesses struggling with staffing right now. We have seen national chains locally close temporarily for days simply due to lack of staff available to operate them. Local auto service places also have a several day lead time for appointments. Then if parts are needed for a repair, that can be several more days.

Les Schwab is my tire place, opened up 2 yrs ago and right down the street from me, great group of guys and gals, so far no disappointments.. ;)

I love Les Schwab, at least used to. I am originally from the Pacific Northwest and grew up with them as my tire place. They were amazing always. I have heard things have changed but I don't know. Glad to hear they may still be good. I currently live in a small town out in the middle of nowhere, and we do have a tire store that I many times tried to deal with. But over the years they have shown every time they either don't want or need or care about my money and patronage. So I now drive a 40 minutes farther to get tires as they have no issue taking my money and quickly installing some tires on my vehicles. I would rather support the local guy a mile down the road, but also don't need an attitude or to over pay for old tires.

I quit going to Tires Plus years ago when I went in for a rotate and balance. Pickup up the car ('99 Taurus 24v) and the service guy said 'we checked your cabin air filter and it was ok'- I replaced it a month before. Got home, opened the hood as it was time to check the oil and whoever worked on the car left all the plastic parts for the cabin filter lying on the intake manifold (you have to remove part of the cowl to get the CAF). I was beyond upset.

Whenever I need tire work done quick I go to one of the many independent Mexican tire shops.
Tell them what you need and show the owner some cash and presto it's done and the cash go's right in his pocket.
Aint America great?

Back