Is THIS too much Oil Consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long was it from when the engine was stopped till you pulled the dipstick? Were you on level ground both times? Does not look like much consumption to me. I don't see a problem.

Less than a half a pint in 2k miles? Ummm no. you could multiple times that consumption and still be within the accepted norms.

how is that engine treated ?
If it is revved often than no if it is driven easy then maybe a problem... If it is always driven easy do a couple od wot runs from say 25mph to 65mph or whatever the maximum speed is. Sometimes the rings need to seat and carbon needs to be blown off.

The engine does about 19k a year of 60% actually maybe even 75% highway and highway rural Midwestern driving. Most in form of a 60 mile daily commute at 55mph rural highway with two notable hills (again Midwest hills that is). Wife drives it so she doesn't hold back on the throttle.
Runs 0-20 TGMO. I was checked on level concrete and checked cold (65F each time).

Sounds like no problem with this amount over 2k miles.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Here's a photo of the dipstick on my 2013 Camry 4cyl with 20,000 miles 60% highway. It was perfectly full at last oil change 2k miles ago. Is this too much consumption?

There is no acceptable amount of oil consumption. To be more clear, imagine that somebody's blood pressure is 140/100 instead of usual 120/80. Is it too much? No. Will (s)he die soon? No. But is it normal? No.

(whisper)
0W20 oils are evil.

Originally Posted By: timeau
[ imagine that somebody's blood pressure is 140/100 instead of usual 120/80. Is it too much? No.

I know we are talking in theory here, but a repeatable 140 /100 bp is too high and needs to be treated .

Some amount of drop is typical of nearly all engines...how much differs from engine to engine, even of the same model engine.
Your amount of drop is what my Camry goes through @ 123k miles.

Some engines use much more oil than this miniscule amount and with proper care go on to live for 300k miles + until rust sends the beast to the wreckers. A quart per 5000 miles is no big deal and maybe that extends the life of the cylinder walls?

As long as the consumption doesn't cause the plugs to foul, I wouldn't worry. I put a $2.50 quart of oil in every 1000 miles. If it bothered me, I would spend $1500+ to overhaul my engine.I can top off for many years before I equate to that.

Last edited:
It is well within the boundaries of what any car maker would consider normal oil consumption.

Yikes!! The first few replies comforted me.

Don't be worried, especially that early on in the OCI. That's not much at all, and it's kind of early to tell.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I know we are talking in theory here, but a repeatable 140 /100 bp is too high and needs to be treated .

You got my idea ;-)
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

20k vs 123k does matter, right?
Now I'm freaking worried!

First of all be sure that you measured level correctly: at least 5 minutes after engine was stopped and the car is on horizontal level.

Originally Posted By: timeau
Originally Posted By: spasm3

You got my idea ;-)
Originally Posted By: KitaCam

20k vs 123k does matter, right?
Now I'm freaking worried!

First of all be sure that you measured level correctly: at least 5 minutes after engine was stopped and the car is on horizontal level.

My measured drop is on a level (true, very critical) and after 4 hours....

I do now "top-off" when the level gets to near half (12oz @ 3000 miles) not for lubrication benefits but for reduced noise level...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back