Is THIS too much Oil Consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this thread a joke? Hahaha. I was expecting a picture of a bone dry dipstick (or well below the minimum dot. This is just plain funny.

Engine and oil should be hot for proper check.

Check dipstick after your commute, on a level surface, 5 minutes after shutdown.

Top off as needed. Add the 4 ounces and quit wortrying.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
... Is this too much consumption?

For what it's worth, I had similar oil consumption scion tc (2az-fe engine). I first noticed it at about 50K miles, it would eat about half a quart per 5000 miles (my OCI). Tried different oil weights from 10w-30 to 0w-20 - the consumption stayed about the same through 190K miles. Now neighbor's teen daughter drives it so I don't really know, last time I heard they passed 200K mark :)

Any amount of oil consumption is unacceptable.

Fuel and tyres and brake pads can be expected to wear and need replacing, but oil is not a consumable. There is a problem that you need to address.

Originally Posted By: Olas

Fuel and tyres and brake pads can be expected to wear and need replacing, but oil is not a consumable. There is a problem that you need to address.

Wow...never thought I read something so beyond commonly accepted wisdom...nearly all engines use some oil...some more than others...if not there wouldn't be a RANGE of acceptable level on a dipstick.

Olas, That is dry wit. Right? We have an old joke over here about English cars. Why don't the English build TV sets? Because they haven't figured out how to make them leak oil. Oil is a maintenance item. In days of yore, a quart in 500 miles was considered acceptable. A guy up the street had a 63 Galaxie. He got 130k out of it. The oil was never changed, he just kept topping it off.
grin2.gif

Up until the current stable, I've dealt with fluid leaks of all sorts. The Rat uses a little ATF in the power steering. I keep a bottle under the hood. The front diff leaks. and I would much rather top it off than do the work to fix it. The bimmers don't use oil. They spin off a pint pretty fast. then don't use a drop for 5K miles. If you have a leak,and you can stay ahead of it by checking the level and carrying more. than what is the big deal? That what trunks are for.

Last edited:
1. It's going to blow up.

2. It's because of a Purolator filter with tears in the media.

3. One word: Sludge

4. NOACK must be wrong.

5. You need to do a UOA, and do a short OCI of PYB, and then run M1 0W-30 from here on out with a Royal Purple filter.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
1. It's going to blow up.

2. It's because of a Purolator filter with tears in the media.

3. One word: Sludge

4. NOACK must be wrong.

5. You need to do a UOA, and do a short OCI of PYB, and then run M1 0W-30 from here on out with a Royal Purple filter.

Hmmmmm........Well then.
Thanks for a little humor.

At 20K, I wouldn't be content with ANY oil consumption. That said, what can you do about it? Just top it off and keep on trucking.

At 300K my Maxima doesn't use a drop, however at 80K the Uplander does.

Originally Posted By: Olas

I call [censored]. Our new Sonic with 6,300 miles seems to consume about .20/quart per 3,400 miles. This is really just a guess based on dipstick analysis but is probably pretty accurate. We haven't driven it enough to judge fully what is consumed but so far that's what it looks like. Am I unhappy?

Sure. Any practically brand-new car we have that burns oil bugs me. But I'm BITOG to the core so why wouldn't it. That level of consumption though does NOT keep me up at night. Most of our used cars have burned a quart in 2,500 miles or less and still have gotten major miles out of them.

Sleep well my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back