Is this dry rot concerning?

Michelin Defenders, 2011 Camry.
They have been on the car for about 4.5 year 35k miles, car is driven mostly in town.
Sidewalls are clean, no cracks.
20230303_135424.jpg
20230303_135431.jpg
20230303_135440.jpg

It seems inconsequential when you remember how thick the tire carcass is, but the Michelins on my Canyon looked like this (but with way more tread depth) before our road trip to Houston last summer, so I got rid of them. I'd say if replacing doesn't put you in a financial bind, say bye-bye.

I replaced the original tires on my Buick with only 35k kms (22k miles) on them. They looked very similar to your tires, but were 13 years old. Their appearance was starting to concern me, especially for highway driving.
Your tires would age much quicker in Florida than mine did here in Alberta.

IIRC I had less or similar, and the tire shop recommended replacing. Mine were only 2 years old though (but a bit more miles).

I doubt they are "bad" but they would be on to-do list to replace in a year or so. At 4.5 years old they aren't new anymore, they do get harder with age, and if you drive in any sort of spirited manner, it might just be time.

You definitely have dry rot. I am a little confused about how this would happen on a very modern tire in the time frame specified, and also not understanding why the tread surfaces look like they are from junkyard tires. There is definitely a tendency to explain away dry rot when the tires seem structurally intact, but it's a mistake. I would replace the tires immediately, putting safety first, especially when you plan to replace them anyway. A few other posters have mentioned a tire expert and I'd like to hear that person's thoughts, too. It's probably the case that these tires would have done better if more mileage had been driven.

Honestly no I've driven on tires worse than that and they were fine until i wore them down to having to replaced them.
Terrible advice.

1. The tires are not worn, but they are already old. Driving until worn will take you well past the five year mark... bad.
2. The tires are dry rotted
3. That someone else has risked driving on worn tires, lived to tell the tale, does not prove that you should. It is a logical fallacy, or it is someone saying "man up."

First, thanks all for the vote of confidence.

Now to the task at hand.

After all these years, I can't get out of the habit of looking at what information is available: 4.5 years, 35K miles = less than 8,000 per year = not a lot. Florida! No cracks on the tread surface, cracks in the groove and on the off shoulder area, but none on the sidewall.

The cracks aren't terrible and about what should be expected for an area of the country where I claim the time to remove tires is 6 years. In other words, right on track.

Slather something on the tire? That might help. What? Anything with an antioxidant. Nothing with petroleum distillates.

It's starting and will spread to the side walls. The cracking in the grooves would have me keeping an eye on.

That is not a problem and you are good to go. The external rubber is not the structural part of the tire. Aircraft tires are exposed to plenty of sun and weather. Similar weathering is common. Here is what Goodyear says:

Ozone or Weather Checking/Cracking
Random pattern of shallow sidewall cracks usually caused
by ozone deterioration, prolonged exposure to weather, or
improper storage.
Action: Remove from service if fabric is visible.

Back