is this a fact or myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i read somewhere that if you dont drive your car much you should use conventional because it leaves a layer of lube on the metal parts, so the next time you start up there wont be any grinding or wear, i only drive my mustang about once every other week and i drive it hard, off road use at the drag strips, about 300hp, i want to use synthetic but i dont want to mess up my engine, please help.
confused.gif

Myth........

Read more on this website

Ah I have no idea how to deal with this situation... lack of sleep

YOU CAN SWITCH FROM SYN TO DINO IT DOSENT MATTER
MECHANICS ARE DUMB ARSES IF THEY TELL YOU THAT YOU CANT USE SYNTHETIC OILS.

thanks that was quick, im fine, id much rather have the straight up answer, so nothing bad will come from using synthetic in a car that is started once every other week? im just worried about the wear at startup, and yea i knew you can switch back and forth i always do it, not in too much of a hurry, lol feel free to message me back when you get some sleep

There will be less engine wear at star ups with a suitable synthetic compared to a suitable conventional oil. Nobody would use synthetics if what you heard was true.

I doubt there's a need to get technical.

One property of synthetic oils is their tenacity. They are more sticky than mineral based oils and cling to parts longer. Never-the-less, this property is irrelevant during start up wear. Start up wear beginning with an engine at 75 F lasts for up to 30 minutes. It is not a few seconds affair to remember.

aehaas

some syn base stocks are polar {esters} some are not {poa} Don't worry about it and enloy the car .The engine will last long enough.

so i shouldnt run it hard for 30 mins or until the engine is warmed up in about 10 mins?

ok thanks steve,and racing o

read somewhere that if you dont drive your car much you should use conventional because it leaves a layer of lube on the metal parts, so the next time you start up there wont be any grinding or wear, i only drive my mustang about once every other week and i drive it hard, off road use at the drag strips, about 300hp, i want to use synthetic but i dont want to mess up my engine, please help.

Conventional oil will drain easier from your cylinder walls then a good quality Synthetic. Use Synthetic. That information came from a local engine builder.

Any engine that is used hard such as racing or towing should have synthetic in it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back