Is there any solid scientific evidence that Mobil 1 is good for extended drains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to go 3k miles on all my vehicles with mobil1. After seeing uoas and other people's experience on this web site, I am going to 5k filter and oil changes. This is with my 25+ year old cars.

I think newer cars would be even safer with this drain interval. Why? Fuel injection does a better job of atomizing fuel than a carb, and therefore less fuel unburned to contaminate the oil. The oil should stay cleaner longer.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by Texcowboy:
Lets keep it simple please, My belief is that I am safe using Mobil 1 for 5k. If i used dino, 3k. Is that correct, without all of the tech talk?
confused.gif

Simpler yet - user EITHER for the full 7500 miles (or whatever your normal schedule is - unless you are one of the 10 people in the USA who can convince me you need to look at 3K drains.

If you use either for the 7500 miles, you will get tired of and bored with that car long before it wears out.

Well Toyota recommends a 12,500km change in the 4Runner, which I would never dream of with dead dino. 5-6,000 is as far as I go.

I'll run 12-13,000km with Mobil 1 any day.

So yep, it's good for extended drains in my vehicle.

quote:

Originally posted by Dan4510:
I used to go 3k miles on all my vehicles with mobil1. After seeing uoas and other people's experience on this web site, I am going to 5k filter and oil changes. This is with my 25+ year old cars.

I think newer cars would be even safer with this drain interval. Why? Fuel injection does a better job of atomizing fuel than a carb, and therefore less fuel unburned to contaminate the oil. The oil should stay cleaner longer.

Dan

Not to mention IMO newer engines are typically made of better materials, are fitted tighter, and have better PCV systems. ( Some engines such as sludge prone Toyotas might be an exception on the PCV system... )

If QuadDriver is right, then we all might as well use conventional motor oil and change it every 3000 miles. But some people have been able to use extended drains and still drive a vehicle for a great many miles.

I remember talking about this with a mechanic who had a lot more impressive training than the average mechanic. He had attended MIT and had a degree in engineering. To make a long story short, he took over his Dad's garage.

He told me that even if a synthetic oil does not shear down, you still need to change the oil in about 3000 miles because of contaminates, especially chemical contaminates, that build up in the oil.

Now if a guy was doing a lot of highway driving, those contaminates would burn off. But if you were doing a lot of short trips, especially in cold weather, and stop and go driving in a city, the contaminates would build up.

So the traveling salesman could probably safely extend his oil changes (even if he was using a high quality conventional motor oil). But the guy driving around town all the time needs to change his oil more often.

Let us say that this around the city driving guy is trying to use extended drains. There will be stuff building up in his oil.

I suppose an argument could be made that the conventional motor oils are more cost efficient. After all, with a good conventional motor oil, you can probably go 4000 to 5000 miles. Amsoil claims 25,000 and even 35,000 miles between oil changes, but people who have tested Amsoil seem to like 8000 miles better. The Amsoil is several times more expensive than the conventional motor oil, but the mileage appears to be twice as great.

Really it depends on a persons driving and situation. If you do a lot of highway driving (the travelling salesman) the Amsoil changed every 8000 miles may make sense. But if you are driving around town all the time, maybe a good conventional motor oil is better. Or if you drive a junker that burns oil and leaks oil, why use an expensive synthetic? There is no one motor oil for all people.

On the other hand, it is nice knowing that the Mobil 1 will not shear down as easily. And it is nice knowing that the Mobil 1 will flow well even in very low temperatures.

This argument could continue forever.

I would call it a very interesting debate.
Quadriver Vs rest of the forum.You did it great in the beginning you messed a little in the end...
Anyway thank you all

With respect to the original question, the Australian Mobil techs that I have spoken to with respect to oil change intervals with Mobil 1 will first ask if the car is covered by a new car/engine rebuilders warranty.

If yes, they will point you at the manual.

If no, then the answer is usually 12 months, or 20,000km (12,000 miles).

I would not want to go 7500 miles though on any conventional motor oil-not even Chevron Supreme. Big semi-trucks with a lot of oil and filtering can go a lot of miles, but not me with four quarts of oil.

You could probably take the Mobil 1 to 7500 miles, especially if you are doing a lot of highway driving.

I think 4000-5000 miles is better for a quality conventional motor oil.

quote:

You could probably take the Mobil 1 to 7500 miles, especially if you are doing a lot of highway driving.

Does anyone read the posts above them before posting or is this just a big rant? Mystic, 7,500 is cake for any good synlube.
rolleyes.gif

It all depends on the vehicle, the service schedule, economics and time!

Some vehicles do better with extended drains.

grin.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 4000 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 78000 Miles.

Mobil did 7500 mi. drain intervals for their million mile test. The engine had little wear and was clean as a whistle. So we know it's good for that, at least for hwy driving.

Good points made about each car being an individual case, depending on percentage of hwy and city driving, and amount of idling, stop and go, etc.

I changed my wife's Mobil 1 the other day at 1570 miles. Why? She drives 2.5 mi. to work and back every day, hitting stop lights all the way, almost no hwy and it had been 6 months since the last change. Was I crazy to change it that soon? Maybe. But that oil was good and black when I got it out of there
shocked.gif
, and I feel better for changing it.

IMO, there is no right or wrong answer to the question of when to change. You have to judge what's right for you.

Good thing about synthetic, you can let it go a little longer if you want to, if you don't have the time or inclination to change it.

[ July 09, 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Rexman ]

quote:

Simpler yet - user EITHER for the full 7500 miles (or whatever your normal schedule is - unless you are one of the 10 people in the USA who can convince me you need to look at 3K drains.

If you use either for the 7500 miles, you will get tired of and bored with that car long before it wears out.

If I had been running dino oil instead of M1 at 7.5 k OCI for the past 4 years in my 99 Avalon sludge monster I would be fighting Toyota for a new engine right now. I guess you never heard of that guy Murphy.

basically put, if you drive your car harder, short trips, cold weather, and you don't stick to your oil change intervals, go to synthetic. I mean come on, its pathetic when i hear syn costs too much money. Heck, it costs just as much if not less(5 qt jugs at walmart for 18.88) than a jiffy lube change which runs 27 or 28 bucks after tax. I know its the additive package in oils, but a group IV or V oil won't shear like a group 1,2, or 3(fake syn) will. I understand if your a regular oil changer at 3000 to just use dino and say a supertech filter, but if your someone who cannot allocate the time and forget the maitenance on cars, run the syn to be safe. There are pros and cons to everything, you just gotta decide whats the best for you.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

(and even Mobil 1 qualifies there)

Patman, when are you going to realize that Mobil 1 is a great oil? You imply that Schaeffer's, Amsoil and Redline are more capable, yet we see NO proof of this. You have to consider the UOA's here. We see one really good Redline UOA and your all over it, yet we've seen more then enough M1 UOA's to suggest its definitely a top notch oil.....how much proof do you need?
tongue.gif

Keep in mind, Terry sees more UOAs than we do on here, and he's mentioned that Schaeffer Oil shows better wear numbers than Mobil 1 in his testing.

And I've yet to see a real good Mobil 1 result in a V8 car, I just think it's too thin of an oil for the looser clearance engines. Perhaps if they formulated their 5w30 at 11 or 12cst like the other oils, they'd show better numbers in these engines.

I'm not saying it's a bad oil, just that Amsoil and Redline and Schaeffer Oil are all better oils.

quote:

I'm not saying it's a bad oil, just that Amsoil and Redline and Schaeffer Oil are all better oils

Hey, Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. I just don't see it in that order.
cheers.gif

[ July 09, 2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

if i had a v8, id probably run amsoil or redline 5w30. If i had to buy locally and stay with local brands(even though amsoil is locally now at murrays) id pick mobil 1 10w30. i like mobil 1 0w20, gives me better gas mileage and easier starts in my civic.

I'd say 3 Mad Ponchos test with the V8 Z28 showed very good results all the way to 10,000 miles. The aforementioned Toyota 3.4 V6 UOA with M1 was also very solid.

Running anything much past 10-12K miles is too much of a stretch for me.

offtopic.gif

I think the results posted in the UOA section of this site indicate that M1 turns in more consistently good results than Amsoil.

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MinnesotaNole:
I'm trying to convince a couple friends of mine that Mobil 1 is good to at least 6K and that is being very conservative. I used to be a 3K Mobil 1 changer until I found this board and the insightful posters on it.

Anyhow, is there any solid evidence I can present to my friends so they won't throw good oil down the drain?

I can tell you that my tests using Blackstone's lab and Mobil 1 for 7500 miles shows no significant wear at all.

The oil could have been used for another several 1000 miles.

Gerhard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back