Is there any solid scientific evidence that Mobil 1 is good for extended drains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Terry:
Can a LOW WEAR LONG DRAIN FLUID BE MADE with current technology ? yes, can you and I afford it, NO.
QUOTE]

wrong! it is $30 a liter. synlube.com

direct links to site sponsers only,mark

[ January 24, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Rexman:

First, no way is any dino even 75% as good as a quality syn. Unless it comes down to a car with mostly highway miles--where only negligible engine wear is taking place regardless of what you put in (I'd almost bet that's the case here with your 160K Honda)-- synthetic is superior in almost every respect.

By it’s very nature, dino cannot be as good as synthetic. It has more paraffin and other natural impurities that cannot be eliminated in the refining process.
Syn is cleaner and purer right from the start, and this gives it a host of other practical advantages over dino—better gas mileage, increased horsepower, higher revving ability, and a thermal stability that no dino can hope to match.
Not to mention, syn is the only oil you should ever put in a highly-stressed hot running turbo engine to keep the turbo bearings from coking as it can with dino.

Would any world class race team show up on race day with a load of dino juice in their $750,000 finely honed driving machine? Come on--Don’t make me laugh!!
lol.gif

Why should any of us settle for anything less to protect the $20-$60,000 investments we have in our vehicles?

If you are leasing your car for two years with the idea of turning it over for the next guy, sure, go ahead and put dino in—that will make for a lot more cars sitting in junkyards a lot sooner (good for the economy maybe, with more new car sales.)
Recommending dino over syn to someone for any reason (other than maybe dire penury) amounts to outright car abuse in my book, unless all they do is sunny day highway miles. It makes a mockery of everything we know about motor oils.

End of rant. Thanks for tuning in. Hey, just doin' my part to get us to 200 posts.
grin.gif

Good rant!
lol.gif
lol.gif

quote:

-Consider my engine: 5 cyl 3.0L MB OM617 engine. It has been documented that use of synthetic oils in this and the newer OM603 series engines reduces timing chain stretch by half. This was with 'extended' drains, based upon keeping the oil (Mobil1 15w-50 CF) to the point where soot was too high (around 1.9-2% by analysis, between 8000-10000 miles). What does this imply? That some mechanism for reducing wear or hard operating conditions exists when synthetic oil is used. (Info provided by Dr. Marshall Booth, MBCA technical advisor)

Hi, my dad has a 2 OM634 (i believe) MB Turbodiesel motors. It is a 2.7L Common rail diesel, equipped with a Garret turbocharger. Nice motor. Right now he was running Castrol Magnatec 5W-40. Would Amsoil HDD 5W-30 oil be good enough year round, or should he switch to 15W-40 for the summer.

One vehicle is a small sized RV, is not driven hard.

The other vehicle is a jeep grand cherokee.

This thread has jumped all over the place, but here is my two cents on the extended drain deal. I am trying extended drains so I won't have to keep pouring out good oil. I would rather run it until it is used up. Currently my goal is annual changes in a Jeep 4.0 with a quality brand 5W30 synthetic oil.

And just to state the obvious -- either dyno or syn, change it when it is used up.

quote:

Originally posted by therion:

quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:
Hey if Mobile 1 changed the oil every 7500 miles during that 1,000,000 mile BMW test, that should tell you something. Maybe that's the max they could go with the oil, or else the engine may not have made it to one million mile if they chose to change it say at 10,000 miles.

Leo

They used "Advanced Formula Mobil 1". Was this EVER publically available??

Most definitely! I used the Advanced Formula version of M1 for a while. It was the version just before TriSynthetic, and my local Walmart actually has some of it still in stock as of yesterday! It's the 15w50 version they've still got, in SJ formula. This stuff is was commonly available in 1998 and 1999 for sure, I remember waiting for TriSynthetic to finally arrive here, it didn't come here for about 6 months after it showed up in the US. I simply bought it in the US and brought it back (I would visit the US a lot back then, for various drag events with my f-body clubs)

Anyone realize that it takes several HOURS to read that whole thread? My head hurts but it was good reading.

I'm still comfortable with a 7500 mile drain on M1 5W30 with an oversized Bosch premium filter after reading all that! I'm still going to grab a magnetic oil plug though;)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by therion:

quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:
Hey if Mobile 1 changed the oil every 7500 miles during that 1,000,000 mile BMW test, that should tell you something. Maybe that's the max they could go with the oil, or else the engine may not have made it to one million mile if they chose to change it say at 10,000 miles.

Leo

They used "Advanced Formula Mobil 1". Was this EVER publically available??

Most definitely! I used the Advanced Formula version of M1 for a while. It was the version just before TriSynthetic, and my local Walmart actually has some of it still in stock as of yesterday! It's the 15w50 version they've still got, in SJ formula. This stuff is was commonly available in 1998 and 1999 for sure, I remember waiting for TriSynthetic to finally arrive here, it didn't come here for about 6 months after it showed up in the US. I simply bought it in the US and brought it back (I would visit the US a lot back then, for various drag events with my f-body clubs)

Makes me wonder how they got a million miles out of that engine. The car was probably driven in "perfect" world.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Regarding the CDI mercedes-benz engines, I am not sure with the newer engines, however I am almost sure that MB would require a 40wt oil. So Id say the 5w-40. I dont think amsoil makes claims like redline that you can drop a viscosity grade...

I would probably say, get an oil that meets MB229.3 and/or 229.5 specs, and that would be your oil. FInal viscosity, provided they both meet the necessary spec, would be based upon your climate conditions and the load on the engine.

JMH

According to THIS site, Amsoil HDD 5W-30 meets 229.3
smile.gif
But next time i'll tell my dad to try the Mobil 1 0W-40 Turbodiesel oil. I just wanted to make sure he wont blow up his motor with a "thin" oil like Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30. Whats weird is that it says on that website that Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 is not recommended for the newer CDI's, my dad uses Magnatec in his RV with no problems thus far (38,000 km).

His vehicles are usually driven lightly, and not towing anything. Climate is about the same as in the midwest of USA. Warm summers, and cooler winters. Nothing extreme toward hot nor cold though.

[ January 25, 2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: therion ]

Regarding the CDI mercedes-benz engines, I am not sure with the newer engines, however I am almost sure that MB would require a 40wt oil. So Id say the 5w-40. I dont think amsoil makes claims like redline that you can drop a viscosity grade...

I would probably say, get an oil that meets MB229.3 and/or 229.5 specs, and that would be your oil. FInal viscosity, provided they both meet the necessary spec, would be based upon your climate conditions and the load on the engine.

JMH

I dont think that any oil will 'blow' up the engine. However, I think that the specs are important because the flexible service systems use various tests of whatever sort on the oil to determine change length. I think that if a reasonable drain interval is to be used, and the detergency/dispercancy is correct, that you should be fine. But I do not have access to these engines, so it would be best to check what spec exactly the engine oils need to meet. With that info, you cant go wrong. Probably that site you posted is the best reference youll find, and Id trust it for the most part (except that it seems current as of 2002 for the most part), I know lots of folks do on their older cars.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back