Is there any solid scientific evidence that Mobil 1 is good for extended drains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I'm wondering two things, in a highly stressed engine:

1. Does syn oil give off less crankcase emissions than dino, emissions that may tend to clog the EGR system? Seems like clogged up EGR's can be a real pain in some cars.

2. Do syns do a better job of "controlling" (minimizing and or dissipating) engine temps and thus help to keep the block (especially aluminum blocks) in "truer form" (less distortion) yielding "truer" operating clearances with resultant less (in comparison to dino oil) engine wear?

Syntetics, especially those of high ester content, generate fewer deposits than do dino oils. A number of articles from SAE and Lubrication Engineering, have the results of tests which show less deposit formation with synthetics.

Block distortion is due to stresses caused by thermal or mechanical stress. Most of the stresses, as determined by Finite Element Analysis, are found in the bottom end. The material stiffness of the block determines how much "elasto-dynamic" distortion would result. Neither dino nor synths would show any advantages for block distortion.

From some earlier calcuations I did on heat conduction and convection with synthetics (archived in the forum somewhere), synth's do transfer heat better than do dinos.

Buster,

quote:

Molekule is the chem expert and can take on the best of the best.

Hey, don't forget Nick20, DrStressor, and others who peer into the strange and forboding molecular world.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Speaking of generalizations, can you point to the data of which you speak? As an expample of which you speak, if one changes oil between samplings, the amount of wear metals sampled (assuming constant wear in a sound engine) would show approximately the same wear metal density per analysis. One also has to examine the solids and particle size to make an interpretation. Proper analysis in the hands of a good and experienced analysts (such as TDyson) can help with lubrication decisions.

New topic, not yet! Will go over and look at it.

offtopic.gif
Just returned to town Friday after helping my daughter-in-law and son with our new grandaughter. Baby sat our two grandsons while grandma helped with the delivery. Yes, Mola is a new grandfather!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

we congrats o nthe new addition. If the data you want is the skewed UOAs, on this puter no, I have little, but until I get home, just goto amsoil or ask one of the dealers for the UOAs on Haywoods mack truck....or the 200K mile accord on one oil change...

(someone here posted 3 uoas about a z28 in which the seconds UOA had a drop in wear metals from UOA 1 and it was I believe the same oil)

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm wondering two things, in a highly stressed engine:

1. Does syn oil give off less crankcase emissions than dino, emissions that may tend to clog the EGR system? Seems like clogged up EGR's can be a real pain in some cars.

2. Do syns do a better job of "controlling" (minimizing and or dissipating) engine temps and thus help to keep the block (especially aluminum blocks) in "truer form" (less distortion) yielding "truer" operating clearances with resultant less (in comparison to dino oil) engine wear?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Syntetics, especially those of high ester content, generate fewer deposits than do dino oils. A number of articles from SAE and Lubrication Engineering, have the results of tests which show less deposit formation with synthetics.

Block distortion is due to stresses caused by thermal or mechanical stress. Most of the stresses, as determined by Finite Element Analysis, are found in the bottom end. The material stiffness of the block determines how much "elasto-dynamic" distortion would result. Neither dino nor synths would show any advantages for block distortion.

Thanks, MoleKule. Just wanted to add that problems with the EGR system can also be attributed to contaminants in the gasoline--either buying gas that has crud in it from the storage tanks at the filling station, or from not keeping enough gas in the car, so that contaminants that settle to the bottom of your tank get picked up and drawn into the fuel system. This can result in clogged injectors and fuel rails and also clog the EGR valve and passageways.

In other words, try to use only the best brands of gas (from a new station if possible--their storage tanks are cleaner) and keep your tank from going below 1/4 full if possible.

Man, this thread is starting to remind me of a runaway locomotive--it just doesn't want to stop!
burnout.gif

Norm, I agree...I think that was the point trying to be made and then stamped with a mathematical/physics quiz which gave us all a headache
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Guess if you look at the numbers, synthetics are only "10%" better....but, numbers aren't everything. Is it worth it $? Only an individual can answer that...if it's worth it to them.

Can you go the full severe interval with the cheapest API-approved conventional oil just the same as synthetic? NO. See posts on Toyota and Durango sludge, Mercedes lawsuit (customers using conventional oil).

Personally, I think that UOA's are usefull in comparison of wear numbers and quality of oil at time of sample so that more accurate selection of oil quality, type and drain interval can be made for a certain engine. But, yes they do not give you wear numbers in thousands of an inch, nor tell you of impeeding wear, nor are the numbers accurate for comparison with all engines using the same oil.

I also feel that they do not account for sludge and varnish issues which may necessitate more frequent oil change intervals....else we'd all need auto-rx treatments annually. So here, just as with the specs on various oils....the numbers do not tell all (even though we'd like them to...it's easier that way)!

Rexman, the Fuel Power product (FP ) in the past year is amazing me on taking care of that exact issue. I'm finding from (oil analysis )testing that using FP with ANY gasoline ( cheaper the better for me ) drops insolubles or if broken down; nitration , oxidation, fuel soot,solids readings in the customers cars we are running it in.
I haven't been able to tell all my customers about this yet as TanSedans was the most dramatic and the guy is so squared away in record keeping he could test for us !!!

Tan Sedans 0.1% insolubles test results , twice in a row in a "dirty" burning Jeep 4.0 inline 6 testify to the theory. Note he also uses Lube Control in the oil. I am just starting to see others where the insolubles readings with FP only drop from 0.2 to 0.3% which tells me the gasoline blenders may want to snatch up FP and start adding it saving a ton of money on expensive and ineffective adds they currently use. Because as you accurately point out the EGR and PCV systems are taking the hit, so eventually the whole engine does.

Sorry for the turn but this is a REAL issue we have identified and verified.

quote:

I'm finding from (oil analysis )testing that using FP with ANY gasoline ( cheaper the better for me ) drops insolubles or if broken down; nitration , oxidation, fuel soot,solids readings in the customers cars we are running it in.

Sounds like great stuff!
cool.gif
Terry, this is a Redline product?

Rexman, it is made and sold by a 70 something aged classic in Lewisville, Texas !

This is mom and pop at its best !

The formula has been hidden on a shelf for 40 + years.

Hopefully, soon, we will have a very well respected participant on this site, become a supporter and rep for LC/FP. Until then please email me and I will give you the phone # to contact Odis Beaver. He is not online yet.

FWIW the formulas are for sale and I can help with that if any of you oil company lurkers want to explore it.

Terry

I can guarantee you that a big reason why people want to do extended intervals is not money, but in fact it's time.
------------------
Me its more the MONEY issue, although ther is no real money in the Unites States' anymore yes, those FED RESERVE NOTES ate the biggest issue with me. Plain and simple, and then secondary is the time, but if I had my own house, I'd more than likely do my own, and coat the back fence with my used oil to help kill ants.
grin.gif

Originally posted by Terry:
[QB]
The formula has been hidden on a shelf for 40 + years.
---------
FWIW the formulas are for sale and I can help with that if any of you oil company lurkers want to explore it.
----------

----------
Terry, I donno what good it would do, but if this stuff is as good as you make it out, I don't doubt the company I sell for would be interested in it. If you would e-mail me the info, I'll do my part and pass it along and see what they say!

Cheers!

[ January 23, 2004, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Robbie Alexander ]

Mobil 1 has a TBN of 11-12. It is a fully PAO based oil. Boron also helps TBN from dropping off. So yes, Mobil 1 is very capable of extended drains. 3MP and the 17k mile VW UOA's among others have proven this.

Ill just make a few points to add to this argument. I think it is kind of silly.

-Is M1 at 3000 miles better or the same as m1 at 0 miles? Well, let me ask this: If my car has a range of 500 miles, is a full tank of fuel any better for the car than a half tank? Its kind of the same argument. We know that oils have the necessary surfactants, etc to suspend and allow filtration of wear contaminants. So then where does this take us? Is an oil with TBN of 11 better than an oil with TBN of 6? Id say no. The argument is similar with any of the other additives. Considering the flowrate and movement patterns of oil in an engine, and also considering the residence time of oil in any one location, I think a TBN of 6 would still provide excellent protection in the respect of what the components that make up the TBN index number.

-Now, what about extended drains? Well, my father has driven his 94 toyota previa on dealer dino oil for 7500mile intervals, and the car has 165k and the engine is as strong as when new. No UOAs were done, just going by the book. Could you say that the dino oil in his engine at 3000 miles is worse than new dino oil? Sure. Can you say that it protected worse than the new oil? Perhaps, but, having an engine that is as good as new at 165k, with nothing ever being replaced, how can you argue with actual results? If youre implying that the engine would last twice as long by halving the oil change intervals, Id like to see that.

-Consider my engine: 5 cyl 3.0L MB OM617 engine. It has been documented that use of synthetic oils in this and the newer OM603 series engines reduces timing chain stretch by half. This was with 'extended' drains, based upon keeping the oil (Mobil1 15w-50 CF) to the point where soot was too high (around 1.9-2% by analysis, between 8000-10000 miles). What does this imply? That some mechanism for reducing wear or hard operating conditions exists when synthetic oil is used. (Info provided by Dr. Marshall Booth, MBCA technical advisor)

-Consider the two mentioned beginnings of UOA: railroads and Mack trucks. What are these engines? DIESELS!!! And what can easily become the #1 destroyer of diesel engines? SOOT!!! UOA is most commonly used to track when soot levels go past a preset amount (generally 2%), as then the dispercancy characteristics of the oil, the filteration and bypass system, etc. have been used to their fullest. I agree that it is not necessarily indicative of wear amounts, since the oil analysis is such a small quantity of the sump, but assuming a well mixed oil pan, can you tell me that the soot is not evenly dispersed? I know one thing, I dropped my oil pan after 215k miles, after a hot oil change, and there wasnt a sign of sludge in there. It was clean. No nothing, except the retainer ring for a green bottle top (?!?!!). No sludgy oil, no deposits, nothing. When I take the valve cover off for valve adjustments its the same thing. No varnish, no junk, everything is very clean, once I clean the black oil off of it. UOA can tell you if wear metals are high. Whether or not this is forshadowing something that will happen in 20k or 100 miles is unknown to me, but if I see things like elevates Si and higher than normal Fe numbers, I know pretty well that most likely an intake leak is present. Another example is my chevy s10. I am getting Na, K and glycol present. Does UOA tell me much about wear? no, Fe, Pb, etc were very low. But, I know that the contamination will cause problems down the road.

-On using metals to determine wear, I have a few things to say. My MB engine will show ~20ppm of iron at 3000miles (the same regardless if Delvac 1 5w-40 synth or delvac 1300s 15w-40 dino is used), and ~0.9% soot. This is common results for these engines. But, take one apart at 300k, and chances are you will still see the factory cross-hatching in the cylinders. Test the compression and oil pressure... all within spec. So does UOA show me anything? 22ppm of iron would be considered pretty poor in 3000mi on many of these UOAs. So in that regard, it doesnt tell much. However, the use of checking the trend of the wear, and having someone experienced explain it certainly can tell a lot. Quantitatively? maybe not... but in real life observations, if something goes awry and the engine is used for thousands more miles? Probably the useful life will be decreased. That is a question that Id liek to see answered. Especially since the MB engines can easily last 500k miles, so there is lots of data to be had.

I dont have much to say, but wanted to say something... So there you go
burnout.gif

JMH

[ January 24, 2004, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: JHZR2 ]

Quaddriver, What is so magical about 3000 miles it is just a number no better then any other number! You would have to prove through testing that M1 generated more wear metals from 3000 miles to 6000 miles in order to prove your point!

We do not see wear doubleing from 3000 miles to 6000 miles with M1, Redline, Amsoil etc........

So while the oil UOS at 3000 miles is obviously different from it's VOA that by itself does not make it any less able to protect the engine from wear!

We have seen plenty of cases wear an engine has been run on M1 for 5000, 7000 or 10,000 miles and still had lower wear metals both total and PPM/1000 miles as vechiles run on leser oils for 3000 miles!

I think the real question here is by what margin is fresh oil better then M1 with 3000 miles?

GM's oil life system is not even based on synthetics and in some applications it allows up to 17,000 miles between oil changes! Most OEM's in N.A. use 7500 as their normal and 5000 miles as seveer service. Most of Europe uses 15,000-50,000 KM OCI!

I think that it is hard to argue with low single digit lead numbers that in some cases are "0". Where is the science showing that extended drains based on excellent trending of UOA is killing engines?

quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:
Hey if Mobile 1 changed the oil every 7500 miles during that 1,000,000 mile BMW test, that should tell you something. Maybe that's the max they could go with the oil, or else the engine may not have made it to one million mile if they chose to change it say at 10,000 miles.

Leo

They used "Advanced Formula Mobil 1". Was this EVER publically available??

quote:

Originally posted by QuadDriver:

And just to give you a quick fer instance....texaco (which has a large european presense and even larger UK presence) markets only 6 oil lines in only 6 grades for autos over there: havoline 'energy' in 5-30, havoline 'premium' in 15-40, havoline 'extra' in 10-40, havoline 'diesel' in 15-40, havoline 'diesel extra' in 10-40 and lastly
havoline 'synthetic' in 5-40.

valvoline has a smaller presence, but markets more lines in more grades, but once again, most are mineral based.

all I can find on current syn oil pricing is appx $20/litre of oil, or roughly 4 times what we pay - similar to gas. Europeans have less disposable income as you recall.

I travel to europe alot. My last stay was in Poland this winter. The price of Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 is $20/L. BUT!!! if you buy 4L jug of this oil the price comes out to be about $10. Also remember that Castrol Magnatec is not sold in the USA. The Castrol Syntec is a badder oil than the magnatec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back