Is there any advantage to DOT3 over DOT4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by spk2000
Originally Posted by Audios
DOT 3 is less likely to absorb water and can usually go longer in the system before changing. However 4 is the better fluid.

Have heard this more than once but never saw anything that proves it is true and not just rumor. Anyone got some studies or evidence?

I heard that as well, further research seems to show that Dot 4 actually absorbs less water than even Dot 3 so that bit isn't even true. The more frequent flush recommendation may just be a good reason for some dealer to get the car in for maintenance.

Not proof, just an old, oft' linked article: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/brake-fluid It's tough for me to accept either quote, based of anecdotal success stories using Valvoline Dot 3/4.

"DOT 4 fluids are also glycol ether based, but have a measure of borate esters added for improved properties including increased dry and wet boiling points. A seldom talked about characteristic is that because of this chemistry, the DOT 4 fluid will have a more stable and higher boiling point during the early portion of its life, but ironically once the fluid does actually begin to absorb water its boiling point will typically fall off more rapidly than a typical DOT 3."

The author also throws out this bone to stir the pot: "One last note on the DOT ratings: Systems designed for a particular type of fluid (especially prior to the wide distribution and use of DOT 4 fluids) should continue to be filled with that fluid. For example, in a car that was delivered with DOT 3 fluid, the internal components of the system (seals, brake hoses, and fittings for example) were specifically designed and tested for compatibility with the chemical composition of DOT 3 fluid. Because the DOT 4 grade fluid typically contains a different chemical composition, compatibility of system components may be an issue. "

Originally Posted by y_p_w
DOT3 is a standard and not necessarily a description of the fluid. All DOT4 fluids meet DOT3 standards.

That statement is false. You've apparently forgotten that the standards have upper viscosity limits. It is common for a DOT 4 fluid to be too-high viscosity to meet the DOT 3 limit.

Has anyone else noticed that DOT4 has very small difference in pedal feel to Dot3? In every Dot 3 car I've tried dot 4 in, the pedal became every so slightly softer. Sure, I thought maybe it was a bleed issue, so I've re-bled the brakes, no change. Returning to Dot 3, the slightly firmer pedal was restored. It was most apparent on a late 80s S-10 I worked on years ago, but also noticed on 2 subarus I owned.

The better DOT4s are lower viscocity than the DOT3s so it may seem that the pedal is softer. To me it seemed the brakes were more responsive.

Last edited:
wow. I thought dot 3 & dot 4 was like VHS cf mpeg4 DOT4 superceeds 3 in all areas!

Nevertheless some very interesting comments posted.

Over here, you are expected to change the fluid every 24 months and most vehicles . Do or don't, it's up to you. But I think once the fuild absorbs moisture, the latter can start

corroding parts of the system. I have seen bleed valves corroded nd can only put it down to old fluid.

The best fluid I have used (dot4) is motul 600 with an amazing we boiling point. But it is also expensive
frown.gif

DOT 3 is less likely to absorb water and can usually go longer in the system before changing. However 4 is the better fluid.

Supposedly the water issue is truly an issue, at least from an OEM perspective. The issue is that the anti-corrosion additives become depleted overtime (water contributes to this). This is why there are brake fluid test strips for copper content; if the corrosion inhibitors are depleted then corrosion starts (and can be measured, supposedly). Most people do not drive under operating conditions where brake fluid becomes hot enough to boil.

Originally Posted by meep
Has anyone else noticed that DOT4 has very small difference in pedal feel to Dot3? In every Dot 3 car I've tried dot 4 in, the pedal became every so slightly softer. Sure, I thought maybe it was a bleed issue, so I've re-bled the brakes, no change. Returning to Dot 3, the slightly firmer pedal was restored. It was most apparent on a late 80s S-10 I worked on years ago, but also noticed on 2 subarus I owned.

Yes. And no one believes me.

^^^ I believe you. I stopped using DOT 4 in 3-spec vehicles, despite actually boiling the fluid in some of these older cars as I grew up in mountain regions. Most folks I've shared it with don't seem to notice the difference.

I change the brake fluid in our cars about every 3 years or so. It comes about quite clean at that point.

Agreed, l noticed that on my Honda Fit when I used Synpower ,softer pedal. I change fluid every two years to replace the corrosion inhibitors,it keeps it much cleaner.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
DOT4 is superior.

Well...I have toyota and it uses DOT3. I think that DOT4 degrades FASTER and absorbs moisture faster so you MUST keeo changing it every 2 years as per manufacturer recommendations.
DOT3 can last way longer although it has lower boiling points so for high performance driving it is worse than DOT4.
For daily use cars....I would NOT use DOT4...the higher boiling point is pointless...DOT3 fluid is longevity wise better I think.

I am in EU. VW uses DOT4... toyota from US I have here DOT3.... reliability wise... my Camry Hybrid from US beats all German cars I ever had.
With Egerman cars...constant issues... not to mention this nonsense brake fluid change every 2 years due to DOT4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pezzy669
DOT 4 only seems to be a German car thing from what I have gathered - with VW/Audi and MB both recommending every 2 year changes I don't see the benefit of the "better" fluid but I digress.

When I did my own bleeds on my '03 Golf TDI I used the DOT 4 ATE fluid that was tinted blue and alternated with the DOT 4 ATE amber fluid, made it super easy to bleed as you could visually tell once all the old fluid was flushed out with the change in color.

I am in EU. You are precisely right. The DOT4 is used in EU all over. I think all it does for my German cars is that DOT4 degrades and absorbs moisture faster so they ALL have you
change the fluids every 2 years...

I also have a Toyota Camry Hybrid from US. DOT3 EXPLICIT WARNING ON reservoir. No BS to change it every 2 years...

TRUE. This is why DOT3 is more popular as an OEM fluid where regular brake flushes tend to not be done. Also, DOT3 has a boiling point that is fine for 90% of the car/truck use and the boiling point won't drop as fast as a DOT4 where water effects it quicker.

I got a couple cases of DOT 3 for $4.xx at Sam's so that's what I'll be using for a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back