Is the Corvette next to go out of business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
The 35MPG law is fleetwide -- cars and light trucks. Vettes are sold in such small volume in the US that they won't have much of an impact. Much of the gains will have to come from increasing the MPG of trucks.

Can't they just increase the weight of the trucks to over 8,500 lbs. or something to avoid those irritating CAFE regulations? Or would that [censored] someone off?

People like to jump on the bandwagon that cars like corvettes are bad for the environment inefficient etc. Well the fact of the matter is they get 30+mpg and aren't some huge polluter. There have been more than one study that proved driving a corvette or even a hummer for 5 years doesn't even touch the environmental damage that just building a toyota prius does.

A couple reads on the damage done by the prius:
http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/editorial/editorial_item.asp?NewsID=188

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Hopefully they're smarter than to think they'll ever survive with no halo cars or anything else that much of the American public still craves. If GM can't offer fun, excitement and visual appeal, they'll quickly cease to exist. Lots full of yawn-inducing econoboxex and dull-as-dishwater family sedans isn't a sustainable plan for a company that hasn't built a long reputation for quality. Thus far, Toyota is the only maker that can get away with that strategy. Unique cars like the Camaro, Corvette, Cobalt SS, Sky, and fresh designs like the upcoming LaCrosse will be essential to their survival. Excitement and uniqueness has to be present to offset consumers' quality concerns. If they start offering nothing but ugly toasters with marginal quality, they might as well close the doors.

I may have mentioned this in other threads in the past. Years ago I learned a new acquaintance was the office manager of the local Chevy dealer. He seemed to fit the part and I had no reason to think he had ever done anything else. Later I learned he had taken it up after an injury forced him to retire from the circus. I once asked if he didn't find the auto business dull after the circus. He replied that a successful dealership must have elements of the circus.

Originally Posted By: 67Chevelle
People like to jump on the bandwagon that cars like corvettes are bad for the environment inefficient etc. Well the fact of the matter is they get 30+mpg and aren't some huge polluter. There have been more than one study that proved driving a corvette or even a hummer for 5 years doesn't even touch the environmental damage that just building a toyota prius does.

Read the article that you linked to and actually think while you read it. It's complete nonsense.

http://www.denialism.com/labels/George Will.html

So do we have figures on average lifetime millage of Hummers and Priuses? Both are fairly new types of vehicles. I suspect most of the ones ever built are still on the road unless totaled.

We might guess Hummers and Tahoes might have lifetimes similar to the venerable Subberan. Priuses appeal to weirdos. Perhaps like me whose daily driver is a 77 chevy LUV. Note, when my daughter was driving 50 miles each way to work, she bought an Insite. I forget how many miles she had on it when she traded it on a Civic hybraid. Not sure how many miles they have on it. It is an 02.

Originally Posted By: labman
Perhaps like me whose daily driver is a 77 chevy LUV.

34.gif
for keeping that thing running. How many miles are on it now?

Only 140 K. I live in a small town and never need to go too far for anything. We are on our third new car in that time and mostly use it to go out of town. The short trips are murder. It is on its third clutch and who knows how many sets of tires and brakes. I keep it up, and occasionally make longer runs to the big city. When my daughter was in a co-op program 10 years ago, she used it every semester to haul her stuff back and forth from school to the job.

Those are neat little trucks. I remember seeing a few of them when I was younger, but not many. They didn't seem to be that popular, and ther ones that were on the road up north rusted away very fast.

Good job on keeping your up...have you posted pictures of it before?

Originally Posted By: deven
http://autos.aol.com/article/car-news/corvette-demise/20090429001

I dont want to believe this story!!!

There was a movie out years ago called "Sleeper" with Woodie Allen. It was based in the future and everybody drives an exact identical cookie-cutter car on the highway. They all look the same.

It's beginning to look more like that every day.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: 67Chevelle

Read the article that you linked to and actually think while you read it. It's complete nonsense.

http://www.denialism.com/labels/George Will.html

I agree the article has some holes in it and I know I have read a better one on the topic(one that was referenced on Top Gear) but I have not been able to find it. Even so there is some fact in the premise of the damage done by harvesting the material for the batteries then shipping them all over the world to be made etc.

Either way, I think everybody would agree in the world of high performance sports cars the corvette is one of if not the greenest of them all. Please spare me the Tesla roadster example its slow and unreliable.

Last edited:
Everytime I look at this topic(Corvette next?) I think of that movie when Darth Vader tells Luke "I am your father"

NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: hone eagle
corvette secure

According to Friz Henderson.Some wag posted "it may be secure but it may not be by GM ."

Considering the dire state of GM things can and will change rapidly.

I'm not saying he isn't telling the truth, but that the accuracy of the statement may be measured in hours not months.
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back