Is the Corvette next to go out of business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understand, based upon news reports, that Buick and GMC will be next to go as well....Pontiac sold more cars than Buick did.

Soon we all will be driving itty bitty cars and paying a kings ransom for the priviledge. Consumers won't have much to pick from, based upon the miles per gallon base of 35 mpg....

15.gif

I would not like to see the end result of an accident between this 2 man vehicle and a Peterbilt Truck.....

15.gif

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z
Soon we all will be driving itty bitty cars and paying a kings ransom for the priviledge. Consumers won't have much to pick from, based upon the miles per gallon base of 35 mpg....

Maybe you will be, but I'm going to keep driving big old cars until there isn't any oil left in the ground. I've had the itch to buy an emissions-exempt old muscle car anyway, and I might just indulge myself. Not only does such a vehicle offer the thrill and excitement of a big rumbling V8, but it also [censored] off all the 35-mpg ecoweenies, which is satisfying in and of itself.

Get some of that good old feeling of when gas was leaded, there wasn't a warning label on everything, wars were worth fighting, and people could think for themselves.

11.gif

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Originally Posted By: mpvue
the corvette is nice, but I've never been able to, nor ever will, be able to afford one.

I mean, no offense, but, is that my problem? Are we living in Soviet Russia? If they're profitable and they sell, let them sell.

no offense, but where did you see I was complaining to you? I was making a comment on the fact that whether the corvette survives or not doesn't impact my life. GM or the gov't is going to make a business decision on the corvette and it doesn't matter to me either way.
and what the hells up w/ a soviet reference? what's your point? or are you even aware that there is no longer a soviet gov't or what it meant to live there?

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z

Maybe you will be, but I'm going to keep driving big old cars until there isn't any oil left in the ground. I've had the itch to buy an emissions-exempt old muscle car anyway, and I might just indulge myself. Not only does such a vehicle offer the thrill and excitement of a big rumbling V8, but it also [censored] off all the 35-mpg ecoweenies, which is satisfying in and of itself.

Get some of that good old feeling of when gas was leaded, there wasn't a warning label on everything, wars were worth fighting, and people could think for themselves.

11.gif

hmmm, overcompensating for something, are we?

and what the hells up w/ a soviet reference? what's your point? or are you even aware that there is no longer a soviet gov't or what it meant to live there?

Your comments make it sound like if there is no "need" for something, it shouldn't exist.

Your comments make it sound like if there is no "need" for something, it shouldn't exist.

ok, let me help you out angryboy: I said it doesn't affect ME, so life goes on whether the corvette exists or not.
'needs' are different things to different people, I can't comment on individuals personal choices.

I think he was alluding more to there not being a "need" for the Corvette in the business model for GM, especially in their current situation.

With the government behind the wheel, I imagine the last thing on their list of concerns is the heritage of specific models that are targeted at a small demographic.

Originally Posted By: PT1
You need to look at the future CAFE numbers. The New Corvette will have a 1.8L in line 4

I always thought those numbers were 35 mpg fleet wise? The manual trans c6 is already capable of 30mpg or better on the highway. [censored] my friend's dad's z06 would get 29mpg on the highway.

Personally I don't think the vette is going anywhere. We might not ever see a ZR1 type vette again, but I think it will still be around.

Originally Posted By: Buffman
Personally I don't think the vette is going anywhere. We might not ever see a ZR1 type vette again, but I think it will still be around.

I also don't think it's going anywhere, but whether it stays or goes, I'm pretty sure there are going to be a lot of ugly, boring cars in our future.

I like small cars. I'd drive one of those if it came over here.

Loosing the Corvette would be a real shame. I'd guess they make a lot of money on the 'Vette, because even with updates, the basic tooling on these cars has to have been amortized...can't really see a case for getting rid of a legend like that.

My way of looking at it is that any performance car that survived the 1970's - Mustang, Camaro, Corvette...deserves to live. Anything that survived THAT decade deserves credit!

Anyone hear this??

"GM said that it will ask the government to take more than 50 percent of its common stock in exchange for canceling half the government loans to the company as of June 1. The swap would cancel about $10 billion in government debt."

It does indeed make one ponder the future design and performance direction at GM. Does anyone think they're ready to kill off the Caddy XLR as well, because if Corvette production ceases, that also takes away Cadillac's only Mercedes SL competition. I can't see them continuing the XLR as a stand-alone product of the Corvette plant.

Ageed not going anywhere but updates will be fewer
Originally Posted By: Buffman

I also don't think it's going anywhere, but whether it stays or goes, I'm pretty sure there are going to be a lot of ugly, boring cars in our future.

Last edited:
What's really sad is that G.M. probably won't be the ones making the decision whether the Corvette is cut or not. Unfortunately, they are begging for money so they are at the mercy of the government. Sad state to be in for a once prominent company that was once a symbol of what being an American stood for. Oh, how things have changed.

We'll see if the GM has the balls to tell the Government to keep their "pride" car.

GM planned to close Bowling Green and move production to Wilington (home of the Sky and Soli), but the Kappa cars are being killed off at the end of the year..so, things could get interesting...

Last edited:
Plus GM has a rule on the Corvette: cannot out run them,Buick got slapped for it in the mid 1980s with the GNXs with the turbo charged 3.8s which were out running with them.Pontiac was too,the 2004 GTOs had to be detuned because they were outrunning the Corvettes.The worst fuel system GM put on them was the twin TBI set up with two throttle bodies,nothing but problems with this EFI system called the fuel system from h^&@.The fix for this system is to throw it away and replace it with Multi Port fuel injection or with a carburator

I don't think the Corvette will die, it's definitely a moneymaker for GM still and it also draws people into the showroom. I'd be willing to bet that many other Chevy vehicles have been sold because the dealer had a nice Corvette on display, so someone went in to check it out and even if that person didn't buy the Corvette they ended up buying another Chevy instead. It's the type of car that draws a crowd.

I absolutely love my 98 Corvette, and plan on keeping it forever, but I also want to someday buy myself a brand new one (and give this one to my wife) so if it dies I will be very disappointed (although at the same time there are always people buying new Corvettes and then only driving them 1000 miles a year so there will never be a shortage of super low mileage examples for sale)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back