Ford layoffs

during an earnings report in 2022, jim farley said he was going to lay off engineers who design and biuld internal combustion engines so they can hire electrical engineers for EV's...

he also bitched about how their wasnt an electric super duty yet

these were the highlights from the 2022 earnings report:

-Our truck sales profits will be used to expand EV production. It will be difficult for some employees working on the truck development side to know that they are being used to expand EVs, which will eventually kill off the area they work in (he really said this).
-I am frustrated that Super Duty trucks can't be all electric by next year, or at least a hybrid. But at least they make us money to expand EV production.
-People want to sleep in their vehicles, we need to pursue that technology.
-We no longer need to hire Mechanical Engineers, we need to higher Electrical Engineers instead that can build EVs. We need to replace ICE experts with EV experts (he already started doing this).

With that type of mentality recalls will persist and quality will decline, since it is a stark departure from building what is practical and cost efficient. This CEO is serving the government.

This is also why I didnt buy a commie Ford!

Dual-clutch transmission - sort of an automated manual, with no torque converter. Very problematic in the Focus.
No some kind of a sensor in the transmission. They say its a known issue and they are going to replace it no charge. But how many people are going to not need their car for 6 months? Luckly Mom and Dad have extra cars and he isn't going to need the car. So if its a scam they are going to be out of luck!

Seriously? My 01 F150 4x4 lariat has had all of the "affects some" problems over the years. Bad paint, leaking rear window, leaking engine (replaced and leaks again), intake manifold cracked, exhaust manifold cracked /broken studs, instrument cluster issues, hub bearings and steering parts fail often but thats somewhat due to larger tires.
I have the "should have bought a Toyota" syndrome often.
My rear sliding window did start leaking when it was about 15 years old, I replaced the gasket myself (40 dollar part and all day to do), it has had 2 sets of lower ball joints and one upper set. Other than that, it has the OEM AC compressor, OEM starter, OEM alternator, water pump, power steering pump etc. Mine has the 4R100 transmission, which is something Ford should have stuck with in the 10th gen trucks instead of going to the 4R70.

I got a letter in the mail from Ford Corporate stating that “The repairs performed on your vehicle exceed the underwriting limits of your factory 3Y/36K warranty. As such, your vehicle is now considered to be out of warranty.” It was one friggen year old with 11K miles!
Can you post that letter here?
Also post the details leading up to said letter.

Car makers are doing some strange things lately and I think there is a lot of uncertainty going on in those meetings. I read that Stellantis is reducing the North American workforce by 33,500. I believe the total Chrysler N American workforce is less than 60,000 so that's a significant number. The writing is on the wall folks, it was great while it lasted.
Since their lots are overflowing with vehicles, this seems expected.

Since their lots are overflowing with vehicles, this seems expected.
Whether it’s made clear as Crystal there has been an ongoing downturn in the auto industry (specifically with high end brand new cars) for nearly a year with a little blip in January.

A large chunk of the 6 figure folks are getting laid off, displaced and having to move.

Given they make up 35% of auto sales and nearly all “New car” sales , automakers idea of selling only trucks and SUVs ignoring the lower cost and fuel efficient car market will bite them hard.

In fact an overwhelming majority of repros are of 2022 model year cars.

Meanwhile niche vehicles like the Mirage are selling in greater numbers every year.

Last edited:
Whether it’s made clear as Crystal there has been an ongoing downturn in the auto industry (specifically with high end brand new cars) for nearly a year with a little blip in January.

A large chunk of the 6 figure folks are getting laid off, displaced and having to move.

Given they make up 35% of auto sales and nearly all “New car” sales , automakers idea of selling only trucks and SUVs ignoring the lower cost and fuel efficient car market will bite them hard.

Meanwhile niche vehicles like the Mirage are selling in greater numbers every year.
Yeah, meanwhile they sell all the Trax and Trailblazers they get within a few days:

I haven't one of either in person yet.

That article reads exactly like that old axim "no one goes there any more because it's too crowded".
Yeah the guy who wrote that is a moron.

The Maverick isn't a failure, but it's hard for a vehicle to be successful that nobody can buy. There aren't any on lots, but tons of F150s. The Mavericks you do see are way over priced due to dealer markups. The people who can afford them are smart enough not to pay ridiculous prices for a small truck like that.

"...Ford for giving people this option of working remotely while they execute on their plan of layoffs. ..."
I'd say 'anything done in the dark' ("the sanitizing force of full sunshine") - not so good. Could these folk dismissed get some support/contact w/others @ the club they've just been kicked outa?
Ppl @ this level ('no union available to them') are pretty isolated as it is.
Not able to discuss/have contact w/others going thru da same exact thing continues the whole shame~
Ford guy here, but not in favor of this policy. Another one still stuck in my craw ("We'll stop making 'cars' now.")

I'll never understand being so bothered by this.
For me it isn't so much the whole "rainbow thing", it's that these companies are so concerned about claiming to be politically correct when in reality they will do anything to make a buck. They should stop being so concerned about being politically correct in certain peoples' eyes and focus on actually making a product for a good price that isn't a POS. Claiming to be "for equality" while also being very greedy with your profits and laying off your workers is quite ironic.

For me it isn't so much the whole "rainbow thing", it's that these companies are so concerned about claiming to be politically correct when in reality they will do anything to make a buck. They should stop being so concerned about being politically correct in certain peoples' eyes and focus on actually making a product for a good price that isn't a POS. Claiming to be "for equality" while also being very greedy with your profits and laying off your workers is quite ironic.
I never saw it that deep, just another marketing campaign appealing to a different crowd to hopefully widen the customer base. I don’t care much for Budweiser but I’m one of those hipster micro brew drinkers anyway. 😂

"green washing"?... here's a case of "human resource policy washing"
say 1 thing do nother
& lastly
spin a story abt what you did, to appear to be just in employee treatment~

Reactions: djb
For me it isn't so much the whole "rainbow thing", it's that these companies are so concerned about claiming to be politically correct when in reality they will do anything to make a buck.
They have to look enticing to those right out of college—you know, those who can be paid less than old timers.

Yeah the guy who wrote that is a moron.

The Maverick isn't a failure, but it's hard for a vehicle to be successful that nobody can buy. There aren't any on lots, but tons of F150s. The Mavericks you do see are way over priced due to dealer markups. The people who can afford them are smart enough not to pay ridiculous prices for a small truck like that.
The dealerships are doing so much damage to the car companies. Even the great Toyota is not as repeat customer centric as they were. Someimes I think they are digging their own graves.

Last edited:
Ford went through this back in the early 2000s. They were in a better position when the 2008-2009-2010 economy collapse came home to roost. Not taking up for Ford but maybe they are being proactive.

Ford lost my new vehicle business after they screwed me on warranty repairs. After the second large, multi day repair, I got a letter in the mail from Ford Corporate stating that “The repairs performed on your vehicle exceed the underwriting limits of your factory 3Y/36K warranty. As such, your vehicle is now considered to be out of warranty.” It was one friggen year old with 11K miles!

That's fragging ridiculous. I wonder had you put it online like [as of late] the Toyota/Subaru owners did with the AE86, if it would have affected Ford enough to do something about it....although probably not because the DCT issue was still largely ignored after it went public.

Ford went through this back in the early 2000s. They were in a better position when the 2008-2009-2010 economy collapse came home to roost. Not taking up for Ford but maybe they are being proactive.
They also had a Jaguar, a Volvo and a Land Rover they could sell off. Makes me wonder what would have happened in 2008-2010 if they didn't.

That's fragging ridiculous. I wonder had you put it online like [as of late] the Toyota/Subaru owners did with the AE86, if it would have affected Ford enough to do something about it....although probably not because the DCT issue was still largely ignored after it went public.
I had a similar issue with a brake problem on a Ford Edge that was exhibiting issues covered under a recall, only our vehicle didn't fall in the range. Ford corporate sent us a letter to make sure we understood we were on the hook for the full repair. Both of my vehicles were Fords at the time, now I have no Fords over $3k, but it concerns me that they'd care more about a few grand instead of standing behind their product.

Back