Ford layoffs

I'm sort of happy I got out of the auto industry for work...

As to Ford, article this morning:

Ford Motor Co. asked salaried employees in some departments on Monday to work remotely this week so that people being laid off on Tuesday and Wednesday will be notified in private, company spokesman T.R. Reid told the Detroit Free Press.

Supervisors informed specific teams throughout the automotive business groups and functions that support them, particularly engineering, that they will have individual meetings over the next day or two to determine employment status, he said.

Your thoughts?

I'm sort of happy I got out of the auto industry for work...

As to Ford, article this morning:

Your thoughts?
I applaud Ford for giving people this option of working remotely while they execute on their plan of layoffs. This reminds me of the layoff scene in the movie "Margin Call" where several people walk through the aisles of a large office building taping people on the shoulder and telling them to come with them to an empty conference room.

Poor business decisions have this result. This is an age old story, always with the same result.

I suggest hiring the most competent people possible, produce a competitively priced, desirable, quality product and avoid making poor business decisions.

As a long time fan of the F150, I can't see myself purchasing another. They are no better than they were 15 years ago, and the price is an inflation adjusted 50% higher. They are no longer competitively priced, nor are they more desirable. And, do you think me, a pilot, aircraft owner, big bore dirt biker, all American man, wants to see Ford promoting a flamboyant, multicolored Raptor? Not a chance. I want to see a rough and tough, mean looking truck.

They can enjoy the loss of market share those poor choices cause!

Yes:
1687873697501.jpeg

No:
a3a83b50464205a76f832b9b02c94f4b.jpg
wbskqo5a77891.jpg

And, let's be clear, I wouldn't pour Bud Light on my arm if it was on fire.

Last edited:
If Ford reduces their engineering staff by 25% that is a step in the right direction. BTW, my son's 2020 Explorer Platinum Edition is back at the Ford shop for repairs. This time for a complete sunroof replacement. It leaks and flooded the interior. Ford wanted $2700 to fix it (needs moonroof replaced) Ford agreed to split the cost with him because he bought the optional extended warranty when he purchased the vehicle new.

What happened to 'Quality is job one'?

The abuse and indifference towards customers by dealerships is coming home to roost. Car buyers talk to each other. Clue in, Ford.
The other thing that is happened is that the internet has made it possible to now see how cars of all kinds are engineered, perform, serviced and die. Smart buyers are also thinking twice before signing on the bottom line giving up their hard earned dollars.

I cannot stress enough how much better I feel getting out of the car industry. GM wore me down for over 30 years with its toxic environment, constantly changing and failing business strategies and squeezing all the blood it could from a person. I made a ton of money but lost so much family time and that cost was hard. My last 8 yrs was mandated 6 days a week with many 7 day weeks - just burned people out. I have witnessed the best of GM to the worst and it is not getting better. Sorry for the rant - I think I may make a Youtube channel about how GM is from the inside!

What have all those engineers and designers been doing these past several years since Ford dropped all their cars? Well, besides the Mustang of course but it hardly needs a huge staff to refresh it every few years...

“I suggest hiring the most competent people possible, produce a competitively priced, desirable, quality product and avoid making poor business decisions.

Cujet,

With all due respect I believe most businesses start out with those goals in mind. And hey, it looks really trendy when printed, framed, and placed on numerous walls in the corporate headquarters under the title “Mission Statement “ or worse yet, “Core Values.”

Unfortunately, it always seems to be the actual execution that gets in the way of achieving those goals.

The abuse and indifference towards customers by dealerships is coming home to roost. Car buyers talk to each other. Clue in, Ford.
This 100x over. Ford has had persistent problems with the sun roofs, back windows, blown heads, two piece park plugs that destroyed engines, bad inter-cooler designs that destroyed engines, and other areas in the F-150s over the last 20 years and Ford has always denied any responsibility. But these were clearly design and/or manufacturing issues. But now the former Ford owners are looking for new vehicles and they won't even consider a Ford. The chickens are now coming home to roost at Ford.

ALL of the American car companies have a culture of building lousy designs with non-existent quality control and then dumping their products on consumers and then expecting them to pay thousands of dollars to Stealerships in an effort to fix problems that should have never occurred.

The auto industry is at an inflection point. Many of the practices that brought them to here will not carry them into the future.
Their biggest asset is their loyal customer base; even that is eroding.
CEO Farley is making the tough decisions. I wish them well.

The other thing that is happened is that the internet has made it possible to now see how cars of all kinds are engineered, perform, serviced and die. Smart buyers are also thinking twice before signing on the bottom line giving up their hard earned dollars.

You would think, but on the flip side HyunKIA is still selling cars like hot cakes despite years of self-grenading 4 cyl engines. 🤷‍♂️ This is certainly no secret to anyone who isn't living under a rock.

This 100x over. Ford has had persistent problems with the sun roofs, back windows, blown heads, two piece park plugs that destroyed engines, bad inter-cooler designs that destroyed engines, and other areas in the F-150s over the last 20 years and Ford has always denied any responsibility. But these were clearly design and/or manufacturing issues. But now the former Ford owners are looking for new vehicles and they won't even consider a Ford. The chickens are now coming home to roost at Ford.

ALL of the American car companies have a culture of building lousy designs with non-existent quality control and then dumping their products on consumers and then expecting them to pay thousands of dollars to Stealerships in an effort to fix problems that should have never occurred.
Maybe they know that they are too big to fail....one big reason they don't care about quality.

Would Ford be better off if they made enough Maverick trucks so that all who wanted one could buy one at sticker price?
they had a hot vehicle and dispensed it with an eye dropper. Meanwhile they are ramping up electric trucks that very few want.
The employees are the victims of bad management.
There is already one guy saying the Maverick design is a failure and that you can’t sell a small truck and that nobody wants a truck that can’t tow 25,000lbs and that nobody can profitably sell a mid size truck.

Back