Spirit Airlines- Never Again MCI-DTW-LGA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been on about two dozen Spirit flights about 15 years ago when they used to sell tickets for $12 to college kids. You would show up, ask if they had any empty seats, and if they did, your ticket was less than $20. Pretty good deal back then. Now that I'm older and wiser, I doubt I will ever fly with them again.

And THIS is why when I'm travelling, I carry a mini bugout bag stocked with supplies, food, shelter, clothing, cell phone charger battery pack and most importantly, several high limit credit cards that get me access to hotels and car rentals, if all else fails.

If your destination is less than a 15 hour drive away, sometimes you can actually make it there quicker by renting a car.

In my younger years I actually slept in an airport, in a TENT. I put it right up in the middle of the terminal and had privacy while I slept in my underwear. LMAO.

Hmmm, it's almost like they don't care. :0

NOTE: The amount an airline cares is highly location specific. Even JetBlue, out of JFK is just an exercise in employee apathy. Fly JetBlue out of Burlington, Vermont and the result will be quite different.

One experience will leave you cursing, the other completely pleased.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: hatt
If I can't drive I don't go.

So...that trip to a Hawaii... waiting for the bridge to get done?

grin.gif

That would be a concern if I had any desire to go to HI. There is still plenty of stuff I haven't seen within easy driving distance.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Hmmm, it's almost like they don't care. :0

NOTE: The amount an airline cares is highly location specific. Even JetBlue, out of JFK is just an exercise in employee apathy. Fly JetBlue out of Burlington, Vermont and the result will be quite different.

One experience will leave you cursing, the other completely pleased.
I second your observation regarding JetBlue employees @ JFK

grin.gif

That would be a concern if I had any desire to go to HI. There is still plenty of stuff I haven't seen within easy driving distance.

Pretty much. I would ship myself LTL freight before subjecting myself to commercial air travel.

Air travel has become a Wal-Mart in the air with wings.

A few bad apples from unhappy airline employees that need a paycheck and dread their jobs.... to nasty passengers that want to get to their destination ASAP with the absolute LOWEST price possible.

Blame your fellow consumers for low budget airlines acting like low budget airlines.

There just isn't a market for air travel that takes care of you in the event something goes wrong. It's all razor thin margins and complaints.

So until you can afford private air travel, you pretty much have to fly with the expectation that you'll be screwed. It can sometimes be beneficial to read the passenger bill of rights type document that the airline publishes. I know that with AA, if you can't complete a trip due to weather then you can get a "distressed passenger rate" at a nearby hotel and you'll fly standby the next morning until they get you home. The most you'll be out of pocket is roughly half the hotel expense for the night and discretionary expenses. (sometimes they will throw in meal coupons along with the distressed pnr rate).

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Pretty much. I would ship myself LTL freight before subjecting myself to commercial air travel.
I'm 6'9. LTL would be more comfortable than coach!! I just read an article the other day talking about airlines making even smaller seats.

Last edited:
I work with a guy that height, but he is HUGE...I honestly don't think he could fly even first class. 6'9", ~370lbs, 4' shoulders, can barely button a 5XL shirt across his chest, and 18EEEE boots. He drives a Freightliner semi tractor, and has the seat all the way back (against the back of the cab) to give him JUST enough room to use the clutch. He can just, just barely get in his son's car...a Chrysler 300.

He can't sit in the chairs in the driver's room at work...the armrests are too narrow.

Yes, I do, in fact, work with Sasquatch.

I think Spirit is risky with connections.

However round trip to Florida from Boston direct for <$100 over multiple times not an issue I love them.

grin.gif

Could you imagine the number of fuel and nature stops on such a bridge? Bad weather blows ya over the side? A broken truck causing a 2300 mile long traffic jam... It would be pure driving pleasure... Arrival in only 5 days,,,,,

No thanks, I'll fly.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back