Ford layoffs

They also had a Jaguar, a Volvo and a Land Rover they could sell off. Makes me wonder what would have happened in 2008-2010 if they didn't.
And Mulally took a $24 billion loan out in 2006 that helped them weather through the 2008-2010 era as well.

Would Ford be better off if they made enough Maverick trucks so that all who wanted one could buy one at sticker price?
they had a hot vehicle and dispensed it with an eye dropper. Meanwhile they are ramping up electric trucks that very few want.
The employees are the victims of bad management.
Yes!!! I would have bought one if I knew I didn’t have to wait a year for it. I moved on a bought something else and won’t look again until what I bought is dead….I didn’t even consider a Lightning, as electric doesn’t fit my lifestyle or desire. Nor can I afford it anyway.

This stuff kills me. Ford is a legendary American Company. 120 years old... Henry changed the world with the Highland Park plant; he put the US on wheels. Car companies employ his assembly line approach to manufacturing to this day.

We hear, "Wait till the big boys get in." The problem Ford and the others have is their legacy factories and practices. Factories all over the world makes for a change over and logistics nightmare. Slow and expensive. Then there is the dealership sales model; all cost and no benefit.

I wish CEO Farley well. The cost of new cars today is flat out insane and the quality seems to be a crap shoot. Worse than that, their margins do not allow for action. "No money no honey."
Says the guy driving a Tesla. :ROFLMAO:

With recession around the corner, many companies are trimming the fat with job cuts or offering voluntary separation packages.

This stuff kills me. Ford is a legendary American Company. 120 years old... Henry changed the world with the Highland Park plant; he put the US on wheels. Car companies employ his assembly line approach to manufacturing to this day.

We hear, "Wait till the big boys get in." The problem Ford and the others have is their legacy factories and practices. Factories all over the world makes for a change over and logistics nightmare. Slow and expensive. Then there is the dealership sales model; all cost and no benefit.

I wish CEO Farley well. The cost of new cars today is flat out insane and the quality seems to be a crap shoot. Worse than that, their margins do not allow for action. "No money no honey."
Aside from a nice high profit margin, and it being an EV, every Tesla I eyeballed doesn't scream quality, not even close. The big three turn out much nicer looking vehicles with a much better fit and finish imo. Tesla better start thinking fit and finish. There are people out there that care about that, and with all the added EV's soon to flood the market they might just spend their Tesla $$ elsewhere.

I have driven and looked extensively at the Model S and 3, the S is over 100 grand and has the cheapest cheesy plastic seat covers that dont even come close to the MB-Tex used in lower models of MB, the S class has top shelf real leather and real wood.
There is nothing about these cars that is quality, no wonder there is so much profit in them Mercedes S class money for a Chevy Citation quality car and that is not much of an exaggeration.

Says the guy driving a Tesla. :ROFLMAO:
Perhaps look at my list of cars. I have these because I drove used Toyota strippie 4 banger Pickups, worked 50 hours per week and spent nights in school, invested my money, paid off and fixed the house, etc. Now I can buy any car I want. My favorite is the trusty Tundra, after the 4-4-2 and Vette of course. And at 25 I was broke and homeless. At 33 I got my last drunk driving ticket. Now I have a San Jose State degree in Management of High Tech Business, a minor in Economics and a minor in Computer Science. And I am 36 years sober.
So yeah, it's been a long haul. I know the other side of life and never wanna go back there.

But you're right; I plan on buying a Model 3 Performance when the Highland comes out. Musk named the Model 3 refresh project after Henry Ford's legendary Highland Park plant. I can blow the stinkin' doors off all the exotics in town.

Laugh at that if you want to.

I'm sort of happy I got out of the auto industry for work...

As to Ford, article this morning:

Your thoughts?
Back to the original topic, Thoughts? We visit the Dearborn Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village often and the ginormous changes going on next door with the new Ford Central Campus Building of their Product Development/Research&Development Center reveals the future Ford has in mind.
https://www.snohetta.com/projects/ford-dearborn-master-plan
Ford Central Campus 2022.jpg

"the central campus building will be finished in 2025 and co-locate more than 6,000 Ford employees – mainly designers and vehicle development teams – creating an inviting, walkable community entrance to the company’s Research & Engineering campus. Ultimately, the master plan envisions a campus of interconnected buildings that could one day house more than 20,000 employees in a flexible, high-tech environment."

From the tones of this thread, it seems that Ford's present day challenge is to avoid destroying it's customer base over the next decade in order to achieve it's future vision. Kind of a "seeing the forest for the trees" dilemma, it seems.

It's ignoble of Ford, like many other American super corporations, to show no loyalty to their employees. I worked in the automotive industry for 8 years, but for a Japanese company. Japanese are loyal, both employers and employees. When recessions hit, Japanese keep their employees, who worked faithfully through the good and bad times. American companies just toss out their workers on a whim because profits demand it.

Perhaps look at my list of cars. I have these because I drove used Toyota strippie 4 banger Pickups, worked 50 hours per week and spent nights in school, invested my money, paid off and fixed the house, etc. Now I can buy any car I want. My favorite is the trusty Tundra, after the 4-4-2 and Vette of course. And at 25 I was broke and homeless. At 33 I got my last drunk driving ticket. Now I have a San Jose State degree in Management of High Tech Business, a minor in Economics and a minor in Computer Science. And I am 36 years sober.
So yeah, it's been a long haul. I know the other side of life and never wanna go back there.

But you're right; I plan on buying a Model 3 Performance when the Highland comes out. Musk named the Model 3 refresh project after Henry Ford's legendary Highland Park plant. I can blow the stinkin' doors off all the exotics in town.

Laugh at that if you want to.
Get real, 0-60 and top speed are a joke in most parts of the country. I doubt the Lambo owner cares if your iphone on wheels can do 0-60 faster, he is literally driving sex on wheels and people notice it and like a trophy wife that's what is all about. Last week I saw an Aventador, not many cars impress me but I sure took notice of that one, just the sound of the thing was getting me worked up LOL. The new Corvette is a very cool car also and also way cheaper than an Model S.
As a car the Tesla's are not worth anywhere close to half the price, for a 100K new nothing is touching even a base ICE powered MB S class.

Poor business decisions have this result. This is an age old story, always with the same result.

I suggest hiring the most competent people possible, produce a competitively priced, desirable, quality product and avoid making poor business decisions.

As a long time fan of the F150, I can't see myself purchasing another. They are no better than they were 15 years ago, and the price is an inflation adjusted 50% higher. They are no longer competitively priced, nor are they more desirable. And, do you think me, a pilot, aircraft owner, big bore dirt biker, all American man, wants to see Ford promoting a flamboyant, multicolored Raptor? Not a chance. I want to see a rough and tough, mean looking truck.

They can enjoy the loss of market share those poor choices cause!

Yes:
View attachment 163577

No:
a3a83b50464205a76f832b9b02c94f4b.jpg
wbskqo5a77891.jpg

And, let's be clear, I wouldn't pour Bud Light on my arm if it was on fire.
Like #44 DJT said, everything they touch turns to .....
Gonna stick to the Japanese cars as you get more car for your money, better resale value (no union dues added to price) especially from Honda and Toyota and they employ lots of workers from America/Canada. Plus, Honda makes OPE,aircraft, motorcycle and more.

While I agree that Ford's slogan, "Quality Is Job One" has been on the back burner for some time now, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Not just for Ford and the auto industry, but the whole economy in general.

We're seeing insane prices everywhere. Out of control inflation, as the government prints and dumps money into the economy, and people line up to borrow it. American citizens sense of value has diminished over the last several years.

If you look at all of the borrowing and foolish spending that led up to the crash of 1929, a lot of parallel lines can be drawn with this economy. As always, history has a nasty way of repeating itself.

Get real, 0-60 and top speed are a joke in most parts of the country. I doubt the Lambo owner cares if your iphone on wheels can do 0-60 faster, he is literally driving sex on wheels and people notice it and like a trophy wife that's what is all about. Last week I saw an Aventador, not many cars impress me but I sure took notice of that one, just the sound of the thing was getting me worked up LOL. The new Corvette is a very cool car also and also way cheaper than an Model S.
As a car the Tesla's are not worth anywhere close to half the price, for a 100K new nothing is touching even a base ICE powered MB S class.
Different strokes for different folks comes to mind.

Yeah, I would never do a 0-60 run, but I merge onto freeways and do lane changes all the time. This is where the Model 3 shines in real world driving. Playing with the wonderful German cars and the rest is fun with a car that costs a fraction of their prices.

I like all the cars. What a car is worth is what someone is willing to pay. You are right, Tesla and MBZ are far different; Tesla is not trying to be MBZ. But buyers do cross shop them and right now Tesla, warts and all, is beating MBZ in the market. And in customer satisfaction which is the #1 indicator of repeat buys. It's your money, buy what you want.

Yes!!! I would have bought one if I knew I didn’t have to wait a year for it. I moved on a bought something else and won’t look again until what I bought is dead….I didn’t even consider a Lightning, as electric doesn’t fit my lifestyle or desire. Nor can I afford it anyway.
+1

I know a few coworkers are interested in the Maverick, but can't find one. When they do it is usually with a huge mark up. When I was a kid Ford Rangers were everywhere. They were a cheap economical and reliable truck that was a good size for younger drivers, home owners, and elderly people who didn't need or want a full size. A Ranger extended cab was probably one of the most popular trucks in my area. Next the automakers tried to convince people they needed a full size, since the fuel economy isn't much different, and after that they raised the price of the full sized trucks.

Many of the people in my circle that previously owned Rangers and S10s have now moved on to a small CUV with a trailer because they don't want a full sized truck or can't afford/justify one. Some have purchased Frontiers and Tacomas.

+1

I know a few coworkers are interested in the Maverick, but can't find one. When they do it is usually with a huge mark up. When I was a kid Ford Rangers were everywhere. They were a cheap economical and reliable truck that was a good size for younger drivers, home owners, and elderly people who didn't need or want a full size. A Ranger extended cab was probably one of the most popular trucks in my area. Next the automakers tried to convince people they needed a full size, since the fuel economy isn't much different, and after that they raised the price of the full sized trucks.

Many of the people in my circle that previously owned Rangers and S10s have now moved on to a small CUV with a trailer because they don't want a full sized truck or can't afford/justify one. Some have purchased Frontiers and Tacomas.
They weren't designed to tow. They are a vehicle to run around economically and be practical for a lot of things. Grocery getter, Home Depot runs etc. They do a good job of doing that.

+1

All prices went up. It wasn’t because of the Maverick though.

I knew this would happen when the new Explorer got out, and wires just hung below the steering wheel.
Last October, I was in Hawaii and rented Explorer. I do not know who in the right mind would get that! So uncomfortable and poorly built.

Yeah, I would never do a 0-60 run, but I merge onto freeways and do lane changes all the time. This is where the Model 3 shines in real world driving. Playing with the wonderful German cars and the rest is fun with a car that costs a fraction of their prices.

I like all the cars. What a car is worth is what someone is willing to pay. You are right, Tesla and MBZ are far different; Tesla is not trying to be MBZ. But buyers do cross shop them and right now Tesla, warts and all, is beating MBZ in the market. And in customer satisfaction which is the #1 indicator of repeat buys. It's your money, buy what you want.
Have fun driving up and down on ramps all day. LOL

Back