Mopar fans can dream just like all classic car lovers.

SammyChevelleTypeS3

$50 site donor 2023
The things rich people can do when they want to play. Kind of like back in the days when Howard Huges & some other
business tycoons could actually create just about anything their minds could dream up.
All it takes is for someone to write out a check for near $400,000 as opposed to 1m plus for a real one from the late 60s.
Pretty neat the way they went and combined new with old design and produced a fine "new-resto-mod?" Well according
to the article it is really a totally new car..... Carbon Fiber Daytona.

Reactions: hrv
As a long time muscle car and pony car money dumper, speculation has ruined the hobby for those of us who love the cars.
I see the hobby dying. No more classic Corvettes for me. Cost too much.

Historic and classic cars are going to become museum pieces. Younger generations eschew things automotive for things electronic and the cyber world. It is palpable at car shows. I see the same trends in hobbies like R/C airplanes and motorcycles in general; HD bikes in particular. These things siphon away disposble income from the generations that tend not to have much.

If they grew up with little appreciation for cars they aren't likely to develop the taste as they get older.

As a long time muscle car and pony car money dumper, speculation has ruined the hobby for those of us who love the cars.
I see the hobby dying. No more classic Corvettes for me. Cost too much.
Oh yes. It is a shame what has happened to what was once a true hobby. It was mostly born of young guys / back yard / shade tree and pro mechanics on their days and nights off. Now it has turned into almost a "check book hobby" for the mega-rich. The "hobby" in the last 30 years actually (thru supply+demand) built up an entire oem/collector parts industry that is likely going to slowly die out once again like it did thru the 80s-90s when many car collectors got older. I cant say I see the same passion for cars and collecting staying at the same pace it has enjoyed the last few decades.

I remember the Daytonas and Superbirds languishing on dealer lots for months while the Challengers and Cuba’s, GTX’S, Roadrunner, Chargers, were flying off the same lots. People made jokes about the ‘clothes line‘ on the trunks of the ‘wing’ cars. Honestly, if I could go back in time even knowing what I know today I’d still choose a Hemi Cuda or Challenger over the Hemi Superbird or Daytona! Want to know why? Because the wing cars were and still are ‘ ugly ass cars ‘ !

I like it. :D
I like them. But they are really a museum piece or rich man toy. I mean they are in unobtanium million dollar price ranges today and were never really a "highway driver" car. Like the Ford Talladega Torinos, King Cobras Torino, Mercury Cyclones and even the Chevelle Type S3 cars they were made in limited numbers with one thing in mind. Highest obtainable speed on the NASCAR SuperSpeedways thru the special aerodynamic designed bodies. Funny/sad thing about them is that over the years in NASCAR , every time a manufacturer pulled off a dominating designed car like those that won hosts of races, they were often banned as they were proven to be nearly unbeatable. Ford King Cobras were so fast in testing that NASCAR never even even allow them on the tracks in sanctioned competition. Most of those cars today are just really awesome museum pieces. Too expensive to even insure for highway use.

Many people don’t have the patience to do a full restoration, nor do they have the skill. That contributes greatly to why older cars will soon be a thing of the past.

It cost to much to pay someone else, takes too long in our current climate, and isn’t anywhere near as fun or fast as a current car with new technology in most eyes.

If I had talent, Dad’s bought new 74 Barracuda that I came home in from the hospital after being born, would be in my garage now rather than in some strangers garage. It needed a 2nd restoration after the 90’s restoration into a drag car.

Older cars are great looking, but their cost is just too prohibitive for most people. I think wealthy people will always keep collector models alive, which isn’t a bad thing. These antique pieces of art should be preserved so people can see them in person decades from now. But as far as middle class owning a collector car? Not happening.

It’s a shame. I would love to own a bel air or something similar, but I just can’t afford one. I’m too behind on retirement, lacking a garage to store one, and too aware of money required to keep them running.

Maybe someday. I love the look of 50s American cruisers.

Back