is Rotella T5 10w-30 ok for wet clutch bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on another note if you can find the Regular Rotella 10w30 oil that would probably work just fine.

I know around here once the T5 came out they didn't stock the regular 10w30, but it can still be found at a few select stores.

thanks y'all...my eyes have been opened a bit and my 'recommendations' to my friend will include:

Honda conventional 10w-30 motorcycle oil if available (my closest dealer carries the full synthetic variant)

Honda synthetic 10w-30 motorcycle oil

Shell Rotella T5 10w-30 & tell him to come to BITOG for research & feedback if he thinks I'm nuts...I'm thinking of grabbing some Rotella T5 10w-30 for late autumn oil changes & winter use in my Honda Shadow 750 (there is a charity ride that happens on New Year's Day I want to get involved with to support a local American Legion or VFW; it's called the 'Forsty Balls & Frozen Susie's' ride...LOL!

I emailed Shell and asked them. They told me that their T5 10W-30 would meet JASO MA but they haven't yet submitted it for certification. They also said that they don't recommend using any Rotella oil in a vehicle that has a catalytic converter.

Technically speaking no oil you mentioned in this thread can not defeat a
wet clutch in good working order... what is confusing the issue is the
fact that all motorcycle wet clutches will reach a point in their life
and start to slip... no one complains about clutch slip when the bike
is new... but on about the 27K to 57K range is when containments may
build up to point where the clutch begins to loose its grip... this is
usually discovered by the owner during WFO (Wide Fooking Open)throttle
like at a track day... in error one can blame the oil but its really
the contaminants on the clutch plates...

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
I don't know a single person at the track running 30W in their CBR 600/1000.

You do now... since 98 Mr.RC45's track days and race days were on 30W... namely Mobil 1...

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Originally Posted By: rraiderr
I don't know a single person at the track running 30W in their CBR 600/1000.

You do now... since 98 Mr.RC45's track days and race days were on 30W... namely Mobil 1...

i must be really confused.
i didnt know a rc45 was a cbr600 or cbr1000.

Originally Posted By: judsonj
They also said that they don't recommend using any Rotella oil in a vehicle that has a catalytic converter.

LOL! So that's about 99% of vehicles out there.

It's API SM rated, so it has to be cat converter safe.

It has sulfated ash content of only 1%. That's actually lower than M1 0w-40 which is at 1.3%. Yet M1 is perfectly safe for cat converters.

Originally Posted By: sunruh

i must be really confused.
i didnt know a rc45 was a cbr600 or cbr1000.

Thanks for pointing that out and thanks to HRC its not an I4...

I ran Rotella conventional 10w30 over the winter in my new Honda NC700X with no trouble. Seemed to perform the same as Honda's GN4 10w40. I'll switch to T6 5w40 at my next change. I've ran it in a lot of wet clutch bikes and really like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back