Is PUP 0w-20 available anywhere in Western PA or on via mail order at a reasonable price?

I will soon be doing my first OC on my new to me 2016 Honda CR-V EX and will be installing a Fumoto valve and plan to use PUP or PU and a Fram Ultra.

PUP is hard to find in 0W-20. No one seams to have it in stock, and Amazon list it as a 1 to 2 month wait, which could mean never, or at least a much longer time than even 2 months. Pennzoil list NAPA as one of the distributors. So I called the local NAPA and they can get it in tomorrow for $53.49 for one of the 5 quart jugs. Walmart sells 5 qt. jugs of PU in 0W-20 for $22.99 which is less than half the cost of NAPAs price for PUP. Walmart has empty shelve space for PUP and list it a couple of bucks mort than PU, but, I have been checking for it for months and it is never in stock.

I would like the extra cleaning of PUP because the i-VTEC valve system of the K24W engine has a small screen in it and if that becomes clogged in the very distant future is a PITA to replace the variable hydraulic solenoid the variable valve system uses, yourself, or a fair amount of labor cost to have a mechanic do it. The previous owner had the dealer change the oil every time it was due. And the dealer changed it just before I bought it in Feb 2020, and for free once while I owned it. So it is NOT like the OC was neglected in the past.

I am now leaning towards just settling on PU if the PUP can not be obtained at a reasonable price. I am willing to pay a little extra for PUP, but double the price is just too high, especially when the vehicle is a daily driver and never tracked and seldom sees highway speeds, and most drives are for more than 30 minutes, so the engine usually gets up to full operating temperature when it is used, and I will be changing the oil when the MM gets down to 20% every time in the future. So for now it looks like settling for PU is the most cost effective option, unless someone knows where PUP can be obtained at a decent price.

So, does anyone know any stores in the Pittsburgh Area, or via the internet that sells PUP in 0W-20 5 quart, and 1 quart to carry in the vehicle, for a decent price?

Last edited:
Any 0w20 synthetic should be fine until 20% on the MM :)

Napa Synthetic (Valvoline) is on sale again

If you still want PUP, Amazon does have the 5w20 in stock

If you act RIGHT now Pup is only $19/jug

1628113404028.jpg

Thanks mrlawnguy. I got 2 of the 5 quart jugs of PUP from WM arriving by the 16th. $17 for a 1 quart is ridiculous, so I will just clean out an old quart bottle and carry some from the second one in that, if I do not see the one quart PUP in store at a decent price before it is needed.

my bad, The black label fooled me. Sneaky sneaky.

Now what is the Full Synthetic vs PP and PUP?
PFS is meant to be a step up from PYB, at Walmart it has replaced PYB on the shelves, it's an entry level synthetic that doesn't carry any manufacturer approvals, I'd probably buy the store brand or QSUD over it.

PP seems to be the most updated one.. I'd just run that.

For example PUP doesnt carry many certs compared to PP dexos 1gen 2, jeep ms 13340, etc.

Thanks mrlawnguy. I got 2 of the 5 quart jugs of PUP from WM arriving by the 16th. $17 for a 1 quart is ridiculous, so I will just clean out an old quart bottle and carry some from the second one in that, if I do not see the one quart PUP in store at a decent price before it is needed.

If you need to add any oil during the OCI, you can use regular PP since it won't need to last the whole OCI :unsure:

PP seems to be the most updated one.. I'd just run that.

For example PUP doesnt carry many certs compared to PP dexos 1gen 2, jeep ms 13340, etc.

According to the Pennzoil site, PUP is API SN Plus rated which I am pretty sure means it is compatible with DI Turbo charged engines. And while my 2016 is DI it is normally asperated, NOT turbo charged. According to the owners manual any API 0W-20 is good enough. And the Pennzoil site recommends PUP, and also a few other versions of Pennzoil.

I too was fan of PUP or Mobil1AFE.
I'm in Western PA also. I just recently switched to Castrol Edge EP in 0W-20.
I think my local Walmart was overstocked with it and I got the premium Castrol edge on rule back for 251.2 for a 5QT jug.

lliking it and maybe converting to it regularly.
oh and I quite often travel out of town for work and I'm out of town now in the state of Georgia I'm not finding Pennzoil ultra down here either.

According to the Pennzoil site, PUP is API SN Plus rated which I am pretty sure means it is compatible with DI Turbo charged engines. And while my 2016 is DI it is normally asperated, NOT turbo charged. According to the owners manual any API 0W-20 is good enough. And the Pennzoil site recommends PUP, and also a few other versions of Pennzoil.
Im not arguing, you can use whatever you want and IMO have great results with all 3. however their product guide is 99% marketing dept. Your link(as you mentioned) also said pennzoil gold semi syn and PP are both alternatives.

They also recommend PU for my jeep which requires ms-13340 spec. but say PP is standard(has spec).. PU doesnt have spec.

So the oil with no specs is better but the oil that has appropriate specs is the midgrade option.. While possible I'll stick to the oil that has the specs on the bottle
and save $ too.

No reason to chase a unicorn or pay considerably extra for it.. was my only point.

OTOH Mobil says they have no oils for my vehicle. I'd trust that was less marketing motivated.

m1-l.JPG

I wouldn’t concentrate on the SN+ spec as the industry has moved on to SP which is backwards compatible and has additional requirements for timing chain wear.

Ultra has always been that albino deer.

PFS is meant to be a step up from PYB, at Walmart it has replaced PYB on the shelves, it's an entry level synthetic that doesn't carry any manufacturer approvals, I'd probably buy the store brand or QSUD over it.
Its approved for Chrysler MS-6395 and Ford WSS-M2C947B1/A

This thread is about PUP. While her, I was looking at that be wPennzpil full synthetic. Yeah it's a so called base full synthetic oil. I see it meets the Ford specs I need it to. I liked the price. Thinking about using it. 5qt jig was $18 at Walmart. it's almost the same price as Motorcraft oil in 5qt. Hard to beat that price for any full synthetic oil.

Back