Is "Overlanding" a thing in your area yet?

Saw a fairly new Rubicon with a 48” HiLift jack mounted to the rear - lots of iron on a so-so bracket. Of course it had plastic bumpers and a suspension system made to stretch out like crazy …
I ordered this 36” and a spectra choker to grab the wheel spokes

IMG_4974.jpeg
IMG_4971.jpeg
IMG_4976.jpeg

i just use a peice of 4x6 as a footplate and use the factory bottle jack, i never saw much use for a hi lift

"...get serious money into this.
Like this..."
Nah, new name ("I overland. I'm trendy") old game.
AND
now in hi competitiveness ("And spent more") like much of merica. I say
"How can I have the most comfort at least cost/environmental degradation/'other human' contact?
I can climb in the back of my 'wagon', flip dwn the seats, air up the mattress and stuff spring loaded screens in the windows...
Do it anyway U can "hi or low", get out there, see this amazing planet, get some exercise. No screen or cellie allowed. Do it several times a month (no less), once a week but do it. (I try end of each wrk day, several hrs, but also 'live in it already').

Most of heu hes hay (even the right coast megalopolis - portland to jacksonville) is w/in a 30 to 60 min drive to nice more desolate expanses. Just ask anyone from "that big family" where they dump 'their problems: "Take the caddie, open the trunk, no more problems, fagedaboudid !"

i just use a peice of 4x6 as a footplate and use the factory bottle jack, i never saw much use for a hi lift
How many times have you changed a tire in serious off road situations? Like a truck buried to the frame, or on a lifted truck?

Either the bottle jack won’t fit under, or you’ll be playing Jenga with a bunch of your 4x6 pieces, which is really dangerous.

The High Lift has a lot of recovery uses beyond just lifting for a tire change.

There’s a reason that serious off road folks have a high lift.

How many times have you changed a tire in serious off road situations? Like a truck buried to the frame, or on a lifted truck?

Either the bottle jack won’t fit under, or you’ll be playing Jenga with a bunch of your 4x6 pieces, which is really dangerous.

The High Lift has a lot of recovery uses beyond just lifting for a tire change.

There’s a reason that serious off road folks have a high lift.
that's valid. when the truck is buried, i use a winch to pull it out. the hi lift does have it's uses, but I've always got by without it. and the bottle jack is a small one that fits under the car quite easily, and has two rams (one inside the other) so it can lift higher than a single ram bottle jack of similar size.

the first time I changed a flat tire i was offroad and instead of using a jack i drove up a ledge to lift the flat tire off the ground.

edit: i didn't use my bottle jack because I had just bought the car and hadn't checked if the jack had fluid in it, so of course the jack was low on oil and couldn't lift the car. a hi lift jack would have come in handy but wasn't needed

just my 2 cents on the term.

"Overlanding" is not the same thing as offroading (and i think most posters here understand this), yet all the "overland modded rigs" in magazines and offered FS. are heavily modded for offroading when a stock 4x4 Tacoma or Frontier, or Tundra or Titan, or am rebel, etc etc, would have plenty of off roadiness for overlanding.

The "mod" I want to see for overlanding is expanded fuel capacities, either via well made, jerry can racks or, better yet, via button switachable aux tanks.
Anything else can be just a sleeping bag in the bed of the truck.

yup, "overland" is more for post 98 type stuff. I carries a science lab or other specific app. One, more recient, is a simple recreation trip. Those folk have co-opted the phrase for themselves. Y it looks re-dic-u-loss, over the top, etc (2 me)~

farmer jack = get sheet metal offa a tire to cont. passage, all sorta stuff (& quick/easier than winch) beside vehicle tire change lift.
Example? C nxt post. Specific app? Killing mo`chene (well, may B recon?)

Last edited:
Back