Is "Overlanding" a thing in your area yet?

I work in rural areas all the time on the east coast as a geologist/mineral exploration. Anyone that lives in the middle of nowehere and still has fences/no-trespassing sings is 100% crazy in my experience and should be left alone....not even to turn aroud. Too bad it's accidental sometimes.

I just won't go down a dirt road unless I know for sure where it goes.

You guys are paranoid.

From a post from the facebook group "Abandoned in Virginia"

. It's on Mount Olive Rd, which is a narrow state road, and goes right in front of the house. I wasn't sure if the road kept going or not so I chickened out and stopped. After getting home I realized that the road keep going and I could have legally gotten closer.

Seems I'm not the only one wary of accidentally trespassing on someone's land. Wonder why he chickened out?

Overlanding was a real thing - once upon a time. In the 50's and 60's it was mostly driving land rover / land cruisers across Africa or SE Asia.
Having your tent on the roof made the lions work a little bit more so you felt safer.
The Camel Trophy competition was born out of that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_Trophy
BITD overlanding was a hobby for people with money and it was pretty invisible. Now anyone can kit up whatever they drive and dream of the African savanna... when they go camping 10 miles away every once in a while. Not really anything wrong with that. Since the average guy doesn't have a special overlanding vehicle you see his around town. Overlanding is still a bespoke hobby if you look at what the real deal equipment costs.

When we first moved to Az I didn't understand how the guys I worked with could go out and camp all over the place and did some research. In Arizona 85% of the land is public land and most of it is open access. In Pennsylvania where we're from over 85% of the land is privately owned and a lot of the public land isn't open to driving or camping. I think this explains the differences of opinion seen between Pablo and TiGeo above. In the part of rural Pa I grew up in if you were out driving around on the dirt roads and came to a gate you DID NOT open it and go through, someone owned that land and you were not welcome. In the west the idea is if a gate is open leave it open if it's closed then close it when you go through.

From a post from the facebook group "Abandoned in Virginia"

Seems I'm not the only one wary of accidentally trespassing on someone's land. Wonder why he chickened out?
I get what you are saying (well FB, but) - anyway. The guy posted people with signed and fenced property are 100% crazy. Sure.

That makes sense. Just aimlessly driving on dirt roads and not knowing who owns the property is non-nonsensical. And does not have much to do the the OP Topic.

The point is that in Virginia, there is very little public land. Almost all of it is privately owned. Even some of the public lands (wildlife management areas) you need a permit from the state to even walk on, otherwise you're subject to arrest for trespassing.

I just won't go down a dirt road unless I know for sure where it goes.
I've had my share of those "oh no" moments doing just that and then quickly hustling a 40-point turn around in some dudes front yard bracing for gunshots ahahahah

I get what you are saying (well FB, but) - anyway. The guy posted people with signed and fenced property are 100% crazy. Sure.

Those are the ones who make it clear what's theirs. The ones who don't yet still have a problem with your presence are the ones to worry about.

That makes sense. Just aimlessly driving on dirt roads and not knowing who owns the property is non-nonsensical. And does not have much to do the the OP Topic.
Often this isn't aimless....maps aren't always correct.

My wife and I used to camp on very rural govt land in the UP of Michigan and sleep in the back of our new '72 Vega Gt hatchback. Later did the same in Colorado and got by driving that thing on what were normally considered 'Jeep trails'-maybe a few scrapes. Later many great short and long trips all over the west. We were young and $ were tight. We didn't suffer.

Those are the ones who make it clear what's theirs. The ones who don't yet still have a problem with your presence are the ones to worry about.
Ok and if you drive on marked property illegally then that's on a person labelled 100% crazy?

It's not about feelings. Property rights trump overland fun.

No of course it's not OK to shoot an otherwise innocent person. But come on man. Someone who marks their property is not 100% crazy. That's just an over the top wacky statement.

The point is that in Virginia, there is very little public land. Almost all of it is privately owned. Even some of the public lands (wildlife management areas) you need a permit from the state to even walk on, otherwise you're subject to arrest for trespassing.
There are some nice places in Virginia - in the George Washington National Forest - or there used to be. Its a fair hike from most population centers - https://www.thenewx.org/threads/x-fest-2008-photos-videos-very-photo-heavy.11300/#post-139598

To have that much money tied up into that much equipment, I would believe that one would have to be a “true” adventure traveler,….as in long, extended expeditions to justify the cost of it all. To do this for the occasional weekend out in the bush seems a little extravagant and unnecessarily hard on the rig because of all the added weight that it’s tugging around.
With that said, if it makes them happy and they’re paying for it, kudos to them. Who knows, for the ones that don’t really use all the gear, it may be the thing that gets them motivated to take that leap, join a group, and go for it. I follow a group based in Arkansas called ‘Ozark Overland Adventures’ and they have some nice rigs decked out for overlanding and they use it. They show a lot of the beautiful places in Arkansas, but they also travel all over the country filming as they go. Having these rigs decked out like this for them makes perfect sense, as it’s their lifestyle, but now it’s also a means of making a great living.

His current rig, a Gladiator Rubicon. His wife has a JL Unlimited decked out very similar to his Gladiator.
I hate it when they break down the banks as looks in this pic, and rip up the place. We're down to 1/3rd of the 'wild places' over the 'lived on places' (33% left) and that's being destroyed w/ppl who wanna stay ina "car'n" travel over it. I do not leave a trail or ruin the 'outback'. I use a light duty ('66 bronk) 4WD and stuff U might have round the house, no huge expenditures, fancy/weird specialty stuff. I go yr round, am the only 1 I see and just use the vehicle as a means to get where I couldnt otherwise get (time, distance, my age, number/weight of coolers'n other camp stuff). I lost my house in the boonies to the Great Recession & this is 1 way I recharge my batteries. I admitt I dont go 4 a month, more like 3, 4 days 25, 30 wks/yr.

Back