is microgard still wix?

Just dropped off the used oil from Dad's Escape at the local Orielly, I normally like to pick up the next filter while i'm there.
They were out of the WIX 51348, so I figured, what the hey, I'll get the Microgard, it's WIX made.
Get it home, take a look at it, huh... has cling film over the end, I like that, only really seen it on Ryco, and other Aussie filters on the net... then i notice "made in China'
I know they (Wix/Mann+Hummel/etc) do have Chinese plants, but..
worst case, it goes on dad's riding mower...

Can you fit a 1.4" longer filter? If so a WIX 51516 works. Same gasket size, same by-pass, same filtration, same thread, same O.D just 1.4" longer.

I'm betting it's from the same Chinese factory that makes Premium Guard, Pronto, and some STP filters. If it is, they're not bad filters, perfectly serviceable if you can stomach the fact they're made in China.
I still prioritized made in USA items or parts. If there's none, I'll look for an alternative like the Japanese, German, English, Korean or Taiwanese made. I only buy Chinese made as a "last resort" that is a "dead end" out of something for my search.

I still prioritized made in USA items or parts. If there's none, I'll look for an alternative like the Japanese, German, English, Korean or Taiwanese made. I only buy Chinese made as a "last resort" that is a "dead end" out of something for my search.
Found STP XL’s for a good price today and there it was … made in China.
Left it behind for a Mobil 1 filter …

Back