Is MC to 5W20 what GC is to 0W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to the new guys fiorst complete paragraph.
smile.gif

I understand this is very unscientific. But I have been using Motorcraft 5/20 semi for over 5 years now in my Ford Escape. With MC 820S filter. And the engine has 70K on it and is just as quiet as the day I got it in Sept 00. I have 4 jugs of the Wally world bought MC in my garage with 4 filters. I can't see a reason to change. $13 an oil change for 4000 miles. Very economical

There is nothing wrong with changing your mind. Happens to me also quite a bit as I try different oils and research further...but I would be interested in why Coyote feels that Castrol syntec would be better. I've found MC to be an excellent, reasonalbly priced oil, Syntec may very well be better...but in what application and for what length? In a 5 - 6000 mile oci application MC 5w20 performace is about as good as it gets. I have seen nothing in the UOA section to make me think that I am mistaken in this opinion.

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with changing your mind. Happens to me also quite a bit as I try different oils and research further...but I would be interested in why Coyote feels that Castrol syntec would be better. I've found MC to be an excellent, reasonalbly priced oil, Syntec may very well be better...but in what application and for what length? In a 5 - 6000 mile oci application MC 5w20 performace is about as good as it gets. I have seen nothing in the UOA section to make me think that I am mistaken in this opinion.

I agree entirely!

I think MC 5W20 is great and I have run it in my 01 Escape since new. I switched my 06 Mustang GT to PP 5W20 at 7K and the mileage improved a little. With 12K I am now getting about 22mpg in mixed driving and over 26 on the highway with the 5sp auto. I don't know of anyone else with a Mustang GT that gets that. PP 5W20 is the GC of 5W20's. From what I see here, the Gp 3 base oil is of extremely high quality.

I agree it's a great oil. I use the Tropartic version from CP. We are blessed that we havew many great economical oils to choose from.

I compared the spec sheets for PP, MC, and Castrol Syntec 5W-20s. I also threw in M1 while I was at it. The results of 100 cSt and HT/HS is as follows:

PP: 100 cSt = 8.5 HT/HS = 2.6
M1: 100 cSt = 8.8 HT/HS = 2.62
MC: 100 cSt = 8.8 HT/HS = 2.65
Castrol Syntec: 100 cSt = 9.0 HT/HS = 2.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back