Is MC to 5W20 what GC is to 0W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like you gurus to help me out with something. There are not a lot of UOIs for MC 5W20 but the ones that exists look excellent. Based on the MC 5W20 spec sheet it is not anything special and only has minimum HT/HS ratings. However, UOAs are excellent. I saw only one UOA for Castrol Syntec 5W20. The published specs on Castrol Syntec 5W20 look better on paper than MC and it too has very good UOAs but, not better.

Is MC to the 5W20 world what GC is to the 0W30?

MC 5W20 is a good oil for the price. Last time I looked it was about $2.00/qt at wallyworld. I believe Chevron helped develop this oil for Ford.I have used it in my Honda with 9k OCI,s with good results. For your higher ambient temps in TX, GC might be your best choice for summer, but MC 5W20 would be fine for winter use.

Quote:

Is MC to the 5W20 world what GC is to the 0W30?

While MC is great oil, it's not in the same league as GC as far as basestocks. However, for factory recommended OCIs, MC does provide all the protection you need for vehicles that are specified to use 5w20.

It would be really interesting if Castrol come out with a 0w20 version of GC. Then we could compare GC efficacy to other oils of similar viscosity such as MC 5w20.

MC 5w-20 has the EXACT same HT/HS that any other 5w-20 has short of Redline oil. And it has a CCS viscosity of 3700 Cp @ -30 (at least it's cousin Trop Artic 5w-20 does). That's the lowest 5w CCS I've ever seen published.

The Motorcraft data sheet is for the SL/GF-3 spec oil; it's totally outdated.

The current specs for the Conoco Phillips based 5w-20s are as good as it gets and their cold weather properties are phenomenal. I'd choose it over Castrol Syntec 5w-20....

Quote:

Castrol Syntec would be better...

Which is it? On one thread you say Mobil 1 is the best, on another you say Amsoil is the best, now you're saying Syntec? Make up your mind.
smirk.gif

I was gonna say something about that Patman but thankfully you did it for me!
ooo.gif
The troll sign has already been busted out in other threads so I'll refrain...

Quote:

Castrol Syntec would be better...

Fella....stop spouting your #@$%!. You've been called out before on your contradictory posts. I see in your future.....BanLand.

If someone gets banned for changing their mind or being contradictory, buster would have been adios long ago. At least buster would say why though....

There is no equivalence between these oils. They are good in their own right.

Quote:

If someone gets banned for changing their mind or being contradictory, buster would have been adios long ago.

I change my mind frequently, I do admit that. Contradictory though? Not sure about that. I TRY and look at things from multiple perspectives. Plus, things are changing all the time.......it's hard to have the same opinion on something as you learn more and things change.

I believe that he was yanking your chain Buster.
rpn453,
MC also meets alot of manufacterer approvals, so theree
wink.gif

Seriously the Ford specs and any vehicle requiring ILSAC GF4 motor oil of the specified grade...That's more manufacturere approvals than GC has.

Quote:

rpn453,
MC also meets alot of manufacterer approvals, so theree
wink.gif

Seriously the Ford specs and any vehicle requiring ILSAC GF4 motor oil of the specified grade...That's more manufacturere approvals than GC has.

There's nothing wrong with MC, but most 5W-20s now meet SM/GF-4 and the Ford 930A spec. The credentials GC has are not nearly as common!

Quote:

Quote:

If someone gets banned for changing their mind or being contradictory, buster would have been adios long ago.

I change my mind frequently, I do admit that. Contradictory though? Not sure about that. I TRY and look at things from multiple perspectives. Plus, things are changing all the time.......it's hard to have the same opinion on something as you learn more and things change.

There's a difference, Buster, between being contradictory, negative, even uncooperative, and what Mitch-Troll has been pulling since he popped. It's called being irrationally contrarian.

For these mutts it's not about arguing a point, or contradicting, even shooting the breeze. It's about attempting, every thread, to drop the wet blanket over the proceedings with irrelevant, out-of-left-field comments designed to raise hackles. Then when folks "protest" as in the following posts after "GC would be better", he gets the rocks off. He (this personaility type) HAS to operate this way, it's all he has to offer. They're JUST perceptive, JUST astute enough, to know what to say, but have nothing else in the bag to contribute.

Every forum/blog/bulleten board has at least one.
dunno.gif

The bosses seem to keep the count pretty low here, so this venue is indeed blessed..
bowdown2.gif

Quote:

BAN PATMAN!!!

I'm in the same boat as Buster, I change my mind quite frequently on here too.
smile.gif
But neither of us are going to be banned, and neither will the new guy, as long as he doesn't go off the deep end or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back