Is it safe to buy 6 year old tires?

I'd have no issue driving on those, but then, I often drive on 15 or 20 year old tires. They do seem expensive though. Those are for vintage Porsches and priced accordingly. Why would you put them on a Buick? You can get new ones at Walmart for $60. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Douglas-...-75pHPxYd5F_1Uy7Z_caAoOoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Because I've got about $1400 in bolt ons on the Buick and I like to have quality tires on it because I tend to push it for being such a big sedan. I used to use Wal-Mart specials but the construction is so flimsy you can feel the sidewalls flexing while driving at interstate speed.

I prefer good wet and dry traction along with great cornering grip. Douglass and Viva tires don't offer that.

Last edited:
LKQ or another parts yard may have a used wheel that matches.
I'm waiting for emails back from car-parts.com affiliated salvage yards. There's a few within an hour of me that have the wheel I need but I need to see if they can ship first. If not I'll probably go with LKQ.

You may know this, but the pirelli p4 is a 90k tire. They ride and handle great, for the first 1/3 to 1/2 life. At 50% tread they ride hard and really suck in the rain. I have them on my Elantra now. I am replacing them in the next few weeks at 50% tread , as they are now unsafe in the rain.

You may know this, but the pirelli p4 is a 90k tire. They ride and handle great, for the first 1/3 to 1/2 life. At 50% tread they ride hard and really suck in the rain. I have them on my Elantra now. I am replacing them in the next few weeks at 50% tread , as they are now unsafe in the rain.

I had P4's on all 4 corners and they have not lasted anywhere near 90k miles. When two of them reached 4-5/32nds I replaced them with the p7s. That was about 30k miles in. I was delivering pizzas part time and took a trip from VA to WA and back. They'd only last about 50k or 60k miles.

I've lost many things in my lifetime but never a wheel and tire.
It's kind of her fault. She took the tire off of the car to have it plugged and never put it back on. Then she moved and put the WRONG TIRE back in the **** car before sending it to someone else and when I texted her yesterday to figure out where my wheel was at she said she had no idea. She's got her head in the clouds so I'm not too surprised.

Well the I called the dealership back and they said the discount offer is only good for 30 days. My car needs quite a bit of work and an inspection, insurance, and plates to get back on the road and they wont let me bring just the wheel in to mount and balance so I'll probably end up going elsewhere. Turns out Pirelli released an updated P7 all season tire plus tire dubbed the all season plus II that is priced just about 3 dollars higher than what the dealership quoted me for the P4s. I'll probably snag those and have them mounted at Firestone when I go in and use my Lifetime Alignment I purchased back in 2019.

hey there ya go.. maybe the newer tire is better? I know usually the older designs are better (sometimes) but hey could be a win for ya! looks like the older p4 is a blocky-type design, where the newer is more styled.. You'll have to see if the newer one channels more water out.. but.. I agree with you for moving on from a place that won't mount a tire to a wheel. I've found it's because they can't upsell you on other services if your vehicle isn't in the bay! I'm glad you have an option not to be told what to do.. that's one sure way to make me go elsewhere too!

I'd run them if they were cheap enough.

Those don't look cheap enough.

They put a preservative on tires that'll help a little with their age. It wears off when first driven. The six year rule is for driven tires.

"Is it safe to buy 6 year old tire"? Yes , my neighbor is 6 years old and his bike needs new tires. :ROFLMAO:

You can run them, but $100 for each 6-year old tire (budget Pirellis no less) is garbage value. They should be $150 at most for both.

So many better options for $100 per tire

Last edited:
My question is why?
I just got the same tire for my sons car brand new at Sam’s Club for 117 with an $80 rebate on 4

I'm curious as if it is safe to buy 6 year old tires.

My car has sat since March of 2019 in the possession of couple people. One of them noticed the driver front tire was leaking air and took it off to be repaired and never put it back on and lost the wheel and tire. The tire was brand new and the wheel was in good shape. Both front tires were only a month old when I went away.

I'm going to have to buy a new wheel and tire but I'm wondering if these tires are safe to buy; they look in good shape for being made in week 28 of 2015:

I can use the other tire for my spare steelie wheel that currently has dextero junk on it. The tires have been discontinued - When I called the dealership to see if they still had them in stock the sales lady panicked when I opted to go elsewhere when she informed me they couldn't get them for me and told me if I changed my mind to ask for her personally and she would give me a personal discount. Must be hard up for business.

Anywho, With winter coming up I'd rather have matching tires on both axles. My only option now is to either buy two new Pirelli P4's from the dealer I mentioned to put on the front or to chance these two P7 All Season Plus tires that are 6 years old. However given how much better the P7's handle I'd prefer them if they're still safe.
I change all my tires regardless of tread depth every 5-6 years, rubber degenerate and it's not always visible.
Now if you were to use them locally for a very short while that may be OK, but I'd not make long term plans on them.

Back